Re: nice site

  • wildhorsesoftware
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
      I have no problem with a site "owner" putting ads on his page, so
      long as they are not for porn. I would hope they would be subject
      related, but even then, that's the owner's decision and right.

      This guy is sharing ideas with us for free. If he makes a few bucks
      doing it, more power to him. And even if his web site is free to
      him, he took the time to create the site to share his ideas.

      I actually like for most of the sites to have ads. I have more than
      once found:

      A new product of interest to me.
      A vendor with better prices.
      A source for hard to find items.

      There was actually a link on this very site that was of interest to
      me, and may result in a new source for products I need.

      And remember, this guy only gets "paid" when we click through on one
      of the ads. If we click through it's a pretty good indication that
      his having the ad was in some small way beneficial to the viewer,
      even if only by eliminating the advertizer as being of interest to
      the viewer.

      Regards,
      Gary

      http://metalworking.majosoft.com/html/my_projects.html
      > > Has got some nice ideas.
      >
      > Pity there is so much google crap :(
      >
      > --
      > Lester Caine - G8HFL
      > -----------------------------
    • Anthony Costello
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
        Steve Blackmore wrote:

        > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 06:35:17 +0100, you wrote:
        >
        > >Vertical rows of 'ads by google' down the side of every page, and a
        > fixed
        > >width that leaves half of the screen blank so that the adverts are
        > even more
        > >intrusive?
        > >Just warning people that this is an advertising mainly site ;)
        >
        > Configure/Fix your browser, not an advert in sight here.
        >
        > IE7 with block popups and phishing and latest spybot search and destroy
        > installed and immunisation applied.
        >
        > Steve Blackmore
        > --

        Better still, just use Thunderbird!
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
          It's really no different than my Taig pages. I put up information and
          have my products for sale. If you don't have products to sell, you have
          to have ads to pay for hosting and the hard work of presenting projects,
          etc. I have google ads and amazon links (as well as links to the Taig
          pages and my Etsy jewelry shop) on my airgun blog to defray the cost of
          the materials, etc that I seem to be buying at an insane rate. Not
          making much at all unfortunately, but I saw that site and thought "I
          should put even more Google ads on my airgun blog"...It's no different
          than the machinist magazines either, which seem to be at least 1/2 ads
          these days.
          Still waiting for a rich patron to just give me money for tinkering...

          --
          felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
          homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
            nick, when you find the guy with lots of money for tinkering send him
            my way please, that way i dont get yelled at this month when the card
            statements come in....

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice
            Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

            > It's really no different than my Taig pages. I put up information and
            > have my products for sale. If you don't have products to sell, you have
            > to have ads to pay for hosting and the hard work of presenting
            projects,
            > etc. I have google ads and amazon links (as well as links to the Taig
            > pages and my Etsy jewelry shop) on my airgun blog to defray the cost of
            > the materials, etc that I seem to be buying at an insane rate. Not
            > making much at all unfortunately, but I saw that site and thought "I
            > should put even more Google ads on my airgun blog"...It's no different
            > than the machinist magazines either, which seem to be at least 1/2 ads
            > these days.
            > Still waiting for a rich patron to just give me money for tinkering...
            >
            > --
            > felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
            > homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

          • budman6899
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
              Couldn't agree more, Nick. Material pricing is going crazy and it's
              getting tougher and tougher to keep costs down. I say advertise all
              you want, (not that I do, LOL!!) you have to get it wherever you can!!

              Dave

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                I updated the site with new pictures from George Plezia and Derrick
                Kortvejesi, added a couple of new user sites and one each CNC and
                general machining links.

                Taig is raising their prices on the 15th, as usual not a huge raise
                percentage wise, but if you're thinking of getting anything big, it's
                best to order before then.

                www.cartertools.com
                --
                felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
                homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
              • pe3hmp
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                  lol, I already ordered this week from You ;-)
                  Can't wait to get the new stuff and trie it out, I'm sitting underneath the mailbox ;-)

                  Mark