Re: DSLS 3000 X-axis burnt up

  • budman6899
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hi Dan,

      How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would contact
      Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they handle
      this either way-

      Sorry about your troubles-

      Dave

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
      <dagutzwiller@...> wrote:

      > I was using my DSLS 3000 in my garage yesterday(very hot day) and the
      > controllers' X-axis appears to have burnt up. I have switched motors
      > around and found that the X-axis turns when connected to other
      channels
      > but not its own. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a fixable
      > problem, do I need to buy a new controller?
      >

      > Thanks In Advance
      > DAG

    • Daniel Gutzwiller
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
        The warranty expired in April. :(

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@...> wrote:

        > Hi Dan,
        >
        > How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would
        contact
        > Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they
        handle
        > this either way-
        >
        > Sorry about your troubles-
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
        > <dagutzwiller@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was using my DSLS 3000 in my garage yesterday(very hot day) and
        the
        > > controllers' X-axis appears to have burnt up. I have switched
        motors
        > > around and found that the X-axis turns when connected to other
        > channels
        > > but not its own. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a
        fixable
        > > problem, do I need to buy a new controller?
        > >

        > > Thanks In Advance
        > > DAG

      • budman6899
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
          Sorry to hear that, I would still contact them and find out what they
          can do for you or at least what you should do to fix it.

          Good luck, Dan-

          <dagutzwiller@...> wrote:

          > The warranty expired in April. :(
          >
          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Dan,
          > >
          > > How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would
          > contact
          > > Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they
          > handle
          > > this either way-
          > >
          > > Sorry about your troubles-
          > >
          > > Dave
          > >
          > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
          > > <dagutzwiller@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I was using my DSLS 3000 in my garage yesterday(very hot day)
          and
          > the
          > > > controllers' X-axis appears to have burnt up. I have switched
          > motors
          > > > around and found that the X-axis turns when connected to other
          > > channels
          > > > but not its own. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a
          > fixable
          > > > problem, do I need to buy a new controller?
          > > >

          > > > Thanks In Advance
          > > > DAG

        • Lester Caine
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
            Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
            > The warranty expired in April. :(

            Usual problem is a dead FET on the output side. Easy enough to find with a
            multimeter.
            All four away from the connector end should measure the same, but you probably
            find one with a short.
            Usual problem though, the x axis is on the bottom board.

            Note to self - must do a crib sheet on what to measure where.

            --
            Lester Caine - G8HFL
            -----------------------------
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
              I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
              to remove and replace sockets...LOL

              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:

              > Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
              > > The warranty expired in April. :(
              >
              > Usual problem is a dead FET on the output side. Easy enough to find
              with a
              > multimeter.
              > All four away from the connector end should measure the same, but
              you probably
              > find one with a short.
              > Usual problem though, the x axis is on the bottom board.
              >
              > Note to self - must do a crib sheet on what to measure where.
              >
              > --
              > Lester Caine - G8HFL
              > -----------------------------
              > Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
              > Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
              > Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

            • budman6899
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                I thought the SAME EXACT thing, Dan! lol!!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                  Yes...its called through-hole PCB mounting <G>

                  (from someone that has found out the hard way that surface mount is a
                  nightmare to desolder/resolder...)

                  At 22:00 07/07/2008, you wrote:
                  >I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
                  >to remove and replace sockets...LOL
                  >

                  >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
                  > > > The warranty expired in April. :(
                  > >
                  > > Usual problem is a dead FET on the output side. Easy enough to find
                  >with a
                  > > multimeter.
                  > > All four away from the connector end should measure the same, but
                  >you probably
                  > > find one with a short.
                  > > Usual problem though, the x axis is on the bottom board.
                  > >
                  > > Note to self - must do a crib sheet on what to measure where.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Lester Caine - G8HFL
                  > > -----------------------------
                  > > Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
                  > > L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
                  > > EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
                  > > Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
                  > > Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

                  >Let the chips fly!
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Lester Caine
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                    Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
                    > I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
                    > to remove and replace sockets...LOL

                    "90% of operational faults in the system are caused by the built in test and
                    fault recovery equipment ... scrap all all of that and the system will be
                    1000% more reliable " :)

                    Sockets would be a problem - adding to the complexity, but these are only
                    three leads and changing them is not difficult. It's more difficult getting
                    the board OUT so you can work on it ...

                    --
                    Lester Caine - G8HFL
                    -----------------------------
                    Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
                    EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
                  • pe3hmp
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                      many times it is possibel to cut the leads and solder the new leads on top of the old ones.

                      Mark

                      > I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
                      > to remove and replace sockets...LOL

                      "90% of operational faults in the system are caused by the built in test and
                      fault recovery equipment ... scrap all all of that and the system will be
                      1000% more reliable " :)

                      Sockets would be a problem - adding to the complexity, but these are only
                      three leads and changing them is not difficult. It's more difficult getting
                      the board OUT so you can work on it ...

                      --
                      Lester Caine - G8HFL
                      -----------------------------
                      Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
                      EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/

                    • Bertho Boman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                        That is one good way.
                        A further step is to cut the leads, remove the body and then one by one
                        remove the leads by gently heating each pad and pulling out the old lead
                        with tweezers. Afterwards the holes can be cleaned out with a solder sucker
                        or wicking braid.
                        This procedure works especially well on parts with lots of leads.
                        Bertho
                        =====================================

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                          Kurt from Microproto said to send it back and they will fix it. I was
                          asked no questions and told no charge this time.

                          P.s. I wish Taig and MicroProto would get together and release a
                          small CNC router/plasma/water jet capable machine...

                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry to hear that, I would still contact them and find out what
                          they
                          > can do for you or at least what you should do to fix it.
                          >
                          > Good luck, Dan-
                          >
                          > Dave
                          >

                          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
                          > <dagutzwiller@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The warranty expired in April. :(
                          > >
                          > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Dan,
                          > > >
                          > > > How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would
                          > > contact
                          > > > Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they
                          > > handle
                          > > > this either way-
                          > > >
                          > > > Sorry about your troubles-
                          > > >
                          > > > Dave
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"

                          > and
                          > > the
                          > > motors
                          > > > channels
                          > > fixable

                        • budman6899
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                            Excellent, good for you and that's very good to know- ;o)

                            Thanks-