DSLS 3000 X-axis burnt up

  • Daniel Gutzwiller
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
      I was using my DSLS 3000 in my garage yesterday(very hot day) and the
      controllers' X-axis appears to have burnt up. I have switched motors
      around and found that the X-axis turns when connected to other channels
      but not its own. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a fixable
      problem, do I need to buy a new controller?

      Thanks In Advance
      DAG
    • budman6899
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
        Hi Dan,

        How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would contact
        Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they handle
        this either way-

        Sorry about your troubles-

        Dave

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
        <dagutzwiller@...> wrote:

        > I was using my DSLS 3000 in my garage yesterday(very hot day) and the
        > controllers' X-axis appears to have burnt up. I have switched motors
        > around and found that the X-axis turns when connected to other
        channels
        > but not its own. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a fixable
        > problem, do I need to buy a new controller?
        >

        > Thanks In Advance
        > DAG

      • Daniel Gutzwiller
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
          The warranty expired in April. :(

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dan,
          >
          > How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would
          contact
          > Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they
          handle
          > this either way-
          >
          > Sorry about your troubles-
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
          > <dagutzwiller@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was using my DSLS 3000 in my garage yesterday(very hot day) and
          the
          > > controllers' X-axis appears to have burnt up. I have switched
          motors
          > > around and found that the X-axis turns when connected to other
          > channels
          > > but not its own. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a
          fixable
          > > problem, do I need to buy a new controller?
          > >

          > > Thanks In Advance
          > > DAG

        • budman6899
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
            Sorry to hear that, I would still contact them and find out what they
            can do for you or at least what you should do to fix it.

            Good luck, Dan-

            <dagutzwiller@...> wrote:

            > The warranty expired in April. :(
            >
            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Dan,
            > >
            > > How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would
            > contact
            > > Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they
            > handle
            > > this either way-
            > >
            > > Sorry about your troubles-
            > >
            > > Dave
            > >
            > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
            > > <dagutzwiller@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I was using my DSLS 3000 in my garage yesterday(very hot day)
            and
            > the
            > > > controllers' X-axis appears to have burnt up. I have switched
            > motors
            > > > around and found that the X-axis turns when connected to other
            > > channels
            > > > but not its own. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a
            > fixable
            > > > problem, do I need to buy a new controller?
            > > >

            > > > Thanks In Advance
            > > > DAG

          • Lester Caine
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
              Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
              > The warranty expired in April. :(

              Usual problem is a dead FET on the output side. Easy enough to find with a
              multimeter.
              All four away from the connector end should measure the same, but you probably
              find one with a short.
              Usual problem though, the x axis is on the bottom board.

              Note to self - must do a crib sheet on what to measure where.

              --
              Lester Caine - G8HFL
              -----------------------------
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
                to remove and replace sockets...LOL

                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:

                > Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
                > > The warranty expired in April. :(
                >
                > Usual problem is a dead FET on the output side. Easy enough to find
                with a
                > multimeter.
                > All four away from the connector end should measure the same, but
                you probably
                > find one with a short.
                > Usual problem though, the x axis is on the bottom board.
                >
                > Note to self - must do a crib sheet on what to measure where.
                >
                > --
                > Lester Caine - G8HFL
                > -----------------------------
                > Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
                > Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
                > Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

              • budman6899
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                  I thought the SAME EXACT thing, Dan! lol!!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                    Yes...its called through-hole PCB mounting <G>

                    (from someone that has found out the hard way that surface mount is a
                    nightmare to desolder/resolder...)

                    At 22:00 07/07/2008, you wrote:
                    >I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
                    >to remove and replace sockets...LOL
                    >

                    >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
                    > > > The warranty expired in April. :(
                    > >
                    > > Usual problem is a dead FET on the output side. Easy enough to find
                    >with a
                    > > multimeter.
                    > > All four away from the connector end should measure the same, but
                    >you probably
                    > > find one with a short.
                    > > Usual problem though, the x axis is on the bottom board.
                    > >
                    > > Note to self - must do a crib sheet on what to measure where.
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Lester Caine - G8HFL
                    > > -----------------------------
                    > > Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
                    > > L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
                    > > EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
                    > > Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
                    > > Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

                    >Let the chips fly!
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Lester Caine
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                      Daniel Gutzwiller wrote:
                      > I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
                      > to remove and replace sockets...LOL

                      "90% of operational faults in the system are caused by the built in test and
                      fault recovery equipment ... scrap all all of that and the system will be
                      1000% more reliable " :)

                      Sockets would be a problem - adding to the complexity, but these are only
                      three leads and changing them is not difficult. It's more difficult getting
                      the board OUT so you can work on it ...

                      --
                      Lester Caine - G8HFL
                      -----------------------------
                      Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
                      EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
                    • pe3hmp
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                        many times it is possibel to cut the leads and solder the new leads on top of the old ones.

                        Mark

                        > I don't suppose these FETs are in some kind of quick disconnect easy
                        > to remove and replace sockets...LOL

                        "90% of operational faults in the system are caused by the built in test and
                        fault recovery equipment ... scrap all all of that and the system will be
                        1000% more reliable " :)

                        Sockets would be a problem - adding to the complexity, but these are only
                        three leads and changing them is not difficult. It's more difficult getting
                        the board OUT so you can work on it ...

                        --
                        Lester Caine - G8HFL
                        -----------------------------
                        Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/lsces/wiki/?page=contact
                        EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/

                      • Bertho Boman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                          That is one good way.
                          A further step is to cut the leads, remove the body and then one by one
                          remove the leads by gently heating each pad and pulling out the old lead
                          with tweezers. Afterwards the holes can be cleaned out with a solder sucker
                          or wicking braid.
                          This procedure works especially well on parts with lots of leads.
                          Bertho
                          =====================================

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                            Kurt from Microproto said to send it back and they will fix it. I was
                            asked no questions and told no charge this time.

                            P.s. I wish Taig and MicroProto would get together and release a
                            small CNC router/plasma/water jet capable machine...

                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@...> wrote:

                            > Sorry to hear that, I would still contact them and find out what
                            they
                            > can do for you or at least what you should do to fix it.
                            >
                            > Good luck, Dan-
                            >
                            > Dave
                            >

                            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"
                            > <dagutzwiller@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The warranty expired in April. :(
                            > >
                            > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "budman6899" <wescott99@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi Dan,
                            > > >
                            > > > How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty? I would
                            > > contact
                            > > > Microproto to find out the details. I'd love to hear how they
                            > > handle
                            > > > this either way-
                            > > >
                            > > > Sorry about your troubles-
                            > > >
                            > > > Dave
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gutzwiller"

                            > and
                            > > the
                            > > motors
                            > > > channels
                            > > fixable

                          • budman6899
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                              Excellent, good for you and that's very good to know- ;o)

                              Thanks-