Taig vs. Oriental 7x10's

  • John Shadle
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2001
      My response to the comparison of the Taig to the oriental 7x10 is that the
      oriental 7x10 is junk. The Taig is not.

      I have an oriental 7x10. A foot away from the chuck a rod held in the chuck
      is a full 1/8" out-of-line with the bed. Then the plastic drive pulleys
      broke, and it took a while to get them replaced. No sooner had I done that
      when the variable speed power supply (or was it the motor?) gave out a puff
      of blue smoke and died. At that point, the 7x10 was stored in the junk shed
      for good. The only good part of it was the little chuck, which ran true as
      long as the lathe ran. If you enjoy headaches, or pounding your thumb with
      a hammer, buy an oriental 7x10.

      The Taig may be smaller than you need, but at least it's a well-made
      machine. One thing I've liked is it's adaptability. You can modify parts of
      it to suit your own needs better than anything else I've seen.

      For example, a couple of days ago I reconfigured the toolpost to hold an
      item which needed a small slit cut. I drilled a hole in the toolpost to
      hold the item without a thought. Had the post been spoiled for its original
      use, I would have just sent off for another one for a few bucks.

      John Shadle
      online clock building:
      www.geocities.com/jshadle.geo/online_clock_building/index.html
    • Area51tats@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2001
      • Area51tats@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2001
          I would like to be the first to line up for your 7x10 minilathe. No sense in
          it sitting out in the junk pile. I have a sherline currently and I need
          something a little bit bigger. Let me know what you would take for it.

          Gerald