Taig Mill

  • zyncsmail
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
      Hi, I am considering a new Taig mill. I have been looking at the
      large bed machine with the ER collet. Does anyone have experience
      with this machine?? Thanks

      Zync
    • wildhorsesoftware
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
        Zync,

        I have that mill and am very happy with it. My only concern is that
        mine tends to eat belts. (I've seen posts that others have the same
        problem) I have the large motor and I think the method of mounting the
        motor is a bit under-engineered for the weight of the larger motor.

        The belt thing is definately an alignment issue, alignment between the
        motor pulley and the spindle pulley. I was able to improve the issue
        on my machine by about an hour's worth of fooling around with several
        sizes of machinists' squares. I had to shim one side of the motor
        because the plane of the motor mount was not parallel to the plane of
        the spindle pulley.

        I'm on my first belt since making this change. Everything seemed to
        be fine so long as I was running in the bottom three speed ranges.
        When I went to the highest spindle speed, the belt flipped on me.
        Once a belt flips, it's not long for this world. I've continued to
        use the flipped belt (have several hours on it in the flipped
        condition), but I'm keeping a close eye on it. It's deteriorating
        very rapidly and will need to be replaced soon. When I do that, I'm
        going to have another go at the alignment thing.

        I purchased my machine straight from Taig as a "CNC ready" machine. I
        ordered a 4 axis controller kit, with motors, from Dave at
        HobbyCNC.com. It took me the best part of a day to built the
        controller and get things hooked up.

        You can also purchase the machines from dealers in various
        configurations, all the way up to a ready to run out of the box
        machine. Just Google "Taig" too find the dealers. I think one of
        them also has an eBay store.

        If you choose to go the HobbyCNC way, you will need a case and a
        transformer in addition to the kit. My web site, www.mypage.net, has a
        spread sheet showing where to get the various parts.

        Dave sells the controller kit in several forms. His "complete" kit
        has everything to needed (except the case and transformer) to complete
        the project. Everything means components, wire, hardware, heat shrink
        tubing, etc.

        My comments on Dave's kit are as follows:

        1: He's a little stingy with the hookup wire. If you don't build it
        exactly to his design, you may need some additional 18 or 20 gage
        wire. Use the 18 or 20 gage wire on the 110v side of the transformer
        where the current requirements are lower (2-3 amps vs. 10 amps on the
        24v side).

        2: The switch and fuse holders he uses are a bit flimsy. It is very
        difficult, using the 16 gage wire he supplies, to hook up to the
        terminals on these items. I ended up ruining the switch by applying
        too much heat to the terminals while trying to connect the wire to the
        switch. (I'm not a novice, I'm a EE and have been working with
        electronics since the late 1950's.) I managed to use the fuse holders,
        but, although it's safe, I'm not too happy with the way it turned out
        cosmetically.

        Even with those drawbacks I would recommend Dave's complete kit vs.
        buying his board and motors and getting the rest of the items from
        other vendors. If you use 20 gage wire on the 110v side (switch and
        one fuse holder) you should be OK. You can just live with the
        situation of the 16 gage wire and the fuse on the secondary (24v)
        side. Or you can spend a few extra bucks and buy a better switch and
        fuse holders while ordering the case and transformer.

        In summary, I believe the Taig machine to be a good value for the
        price. Whatever you do, stay away from the MaxNC machine. It's a
        train wreck. The CNC groups are filled with stories of
        controller/software issues. I have an older MaxNC (purchased used
        before I knew better) and can't/won't use it for anything other than
        plastic, wax, PC board milling or straight drilling operations on
        aluminum.

        Feel free to contact me off group if you want more information.

        Regards,
        Gary
        K7OIJ
        http://www.mypage.net

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "zyncsmail" <zyncsmail@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I am considering a new Taig mill. I have been looking at the
        > large bed machine with the ER collet. Does anyone have experience
        > with this machine?? Thanks
        >
        > Zync

      • kuhncw
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
          I have the same Taig mill and feel the ER collet system is a big
          plus. I agree with Gary regarding the motor mount but is has not
          been a big problem. I ate one belt, so keep some spares. Some
          people repower the Taig with a Sherline DC motor.

          My mill was CNC ready. I bought steppers and a control from Bob
          Campbell. I consider the controler pretty much overkill on the Taig,
          but it seems bullet proof, and can be moved to a much larger mill in
          the future if needed.

          http://campbelldesigns.net/enclosure.php

          I run Mach3 software. It is a great package.

          Assuming the Taig matches the size work you plan, I think you will be
          happy with it.

          Regards,

          Chuck

          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "zyncsmail" <zyncsmail@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I am considering a new Taig mill. I have been looking at the
          > > large bed machine with the ER collet. Does anyone have experience
          > > with this machine?? Thanks
          > >
          > > Zync

        • terry surma
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "zyncsmail" <zyncsmail@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I am considering a new Taig mill. I have been looking at the
            > large bed machine with the ER collet. Does anyone have experience
            > with this machine?? Thanks
            >
            > Zync

            hi
            i have the large bed er collets and controll/software from super tech
            have had no problems unit works great
            use it to cut wax to make rtv rubber molds so i can reproduce cast
            parts for work for samples before plastic mold die is made
            good luck to you
            terry