Re: Source for Tool Bit

  • kd006
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
      Bill,

      A picture is worth a thousand words, can you post a picture and
      dimensions or lay it next to a scale so we can see what it is?

      Kristin
      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@...> wrote:

      > I have a boring bar and a RH tool that both take a special bit. It
      is
      > bowtie shaped and is roughly 1/8"X1/16th. The name on the toolholder
      > is JDG Tool Co., Brooklyn, NY. They don't appear to have a web page.
      >
      > I bought these by mail order, probably from one of the larger
      companies
      > a long time ago.
      >
      > Anyone know a source of this tool bit?
      >
      > regards
      > bill

    • Art
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi Bill

        There still is a listing for JDG Tool in NY,
        but it shows them as CNC machining as well
        as a tool and die works. Might be worth a try.

        J D G Tool Co
        (718) 375-4968
        1809 Coney Island Ave,
        Brooklyn, NY 11230+6546

        I have the full set of these tool holders, but have not
        as yet run out of the bits. They are very easy to sharpen,
        and last a very long time. The holders on mine are ¼".
        I will be at my shop later today, and will check the
        instruction sheet that I think (hope) is still in the box
        to see if it has an address on it.

        Regards
        Art

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@...> wrote:

        > I have a boring bar and a RH tool that both take a special bit. It
        is
        > bowtie shaped and is roughly 1/8"X1/16th. The name on the toolholder
        > is JDG Tool Co., Brooklyn, NY. They don't appear to have a web page.
        >
        > I bought these by mail order, probably from one of the larger
        companies
        > a long time ago.
        >
        > Anyone know a source of this tool bit?
        >
        > regards
        > bill

      • stl.bill
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
          Thanks, Art and Kristin

          I have posted a picture of the bit and toolholder.

          Art:

          I had no idea there were other tool holders. I bought this probably
          in the early 1980's when I bought my Taig. I was originally trying
          to find a really solid boring bar. In my search for a source, I also
          discovered that my favorite cutoff tool was manufactured by the same
          JDG Tool Company. I remember buying the cutoff tool from a hobby
          shop that carried early Unimats and Unimat Accessories. I will call
          JDG today and see if they still have a supply of those bits.

          I really like them for certain things. They do seem to last forever
          and are very forgiving for sharpening.

          Thanks for your help.

          bill

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <t2b1r3@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bill
          >
          > There still is a listing for JDG Tool in NY,
          > but it shows them as CNC machining as well
          > as a tool and die works. Might be worth a try.
          >
          > J D G Tool Co
          > (718) 375-4968
          > 1809 Coney Island Ave,
          > Brooklyn, NY 11230+6546
          >
          > I have the full set of these tool holders, but have not
          > as yet run out of the bits. They are very easy to sharpen,
          > and last a very long time. The holders on mine are ¼".
          > I will be at my shop later today, and will check the
          > instruction sheet that I think (hope) is still in the box
          > to see if it has an address on it.
          >
          > Regards
          > Art
          >

          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a boring bar and a RH tool that both take a special bit.
          It
          > is
          > > bowtie shaped and is roughly 1/8"X1/16th. The name on the
          toolholder
          > > is JDG Tool Co., Brooklyn, NY. They don't appear to have a web
          page.

          > > I bought these by mail order, probably from one of the larger
          > companies
          > > a long time ago.
          > >
          > > Anyone know a source of this tool bit?
          > >
          > > regards
          > > bill

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Art and Kristin
            >
            > I have posted a picture of the bit and toolholder.
            >
            > Art:
            >
            > I had no idea there were other tool holders. I bought this
            probably
            > in the early 1980's when I bought my Taig. I was originally
            trying
            > to find a really solid boring bar. In my search for a source, I
            also
            > discovered that my favorite cutoff tool was manufactured by the
            same
            > JDG Tool Company. I remember buying the cutoff tool from a hobby
            > shop that carried early Unimats and Unimat Accessories. I will
            call
            > JDG today and see if they still have a supply of those bits.
            >
            > I really like them for certain things. They do seem to last
            forever
            > and are very forgiving for sharpening.
            >
            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > bill
            >

            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <t2b1r3@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Bill
            > >
            > > There still is a listing for JDG Tool in NY,
            > > but it shows them as CNC machining as well
            > > as a tool and die works. Might be worth a try.
            > >
            > > J D G Tool Co
            > > (718) 375-4968
            > > 1809 Coney Island Ave,
            > > Brooklyn, NY 11230+6546
            > >
            > > I have the full set of these tool holders, but have not
            > > as yet run out of the bits. They are very easy to sharpen,
            > > and last a very long time. The holders on mine are ¼".
            > > I will be at my shop later today, and will check the
            > > instruction sheet that I think (hope) is still in the box
            > > to see if it has an address on it.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > > Art
            > >

            > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have a boring bar and a RH tool that both take a special
            bit.
            > It
            > > is
            > > > bowtie shaped and is roughly 1/8"X1/16th. The name on the
            > toolholder
            > > > is JDG Tool Co., Brooklyn, NY. They don't appear to have a
            web
            > page.
            > > >
            > > > I bought these by mail order, probably from one of the larger
            > > companies
            > > > a long time ago.
            > > >
            > > > Anyone know a source of this tool bit?
            > > >
            > > > regards
            > > > bill

          • Rob Tsou
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
              I've got a question in a similar vein. I recently bought this set of
              insert holders:
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39931

              I figured they must take a standard insert but for the life of me, I
              don't know what they are and HF is not a huge help. I imagine that
              they might be the same as go in the 1/2" holders but I can't tell.
              Anyone know?

              Thanks,

              Rob
            • Steve Blackmore
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
                On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:03:05 -0000, you wrote:

                >I've got a question in a similar vein. I recently bought this set of
                >insert holders:
                >http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39931
                >
                >I figured they must take a standard insert but for the life of me, I
                >don't know what they are and HF is not a huge help. I imagine that
                >they might be the same as go in the 1/2" holders but I can't tell.
                >Anyone know?

                ??? - The type is on the insert page linked to by that page

                TCMT3252

                Absolutely standard insert.

                Steve Blackmore
                --
              • Art
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Hi Bill

                  I have uploaded pics of the Unimat version
                  of the JDG holder set to my "AJ's Pics" album
                  in the Photos section. This one is my NOS set
                  that never makes it near my lathes.
                  Sell It ??? - Likely be in my estate sale!!!<g>
                  They do show up on eBay every once in a(long)while.
                  I also put a high res copy of the instruction
                  pamphlet in the Photos section, should you want
                  to print it for reference. Look for the first
                  individual file after all the folders.
                  The inserts were available in 3 grades, M2 - T15
                  and Carbide. The ends were color coded - until you
                  sharpened both ends!!!.

                  Regards
                  Art

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks, Art and Kristin
                  >
                  > I have posted a picture of the bit and toolholder.
                  >
                  > Art:
                  >
                  > I had no idea there were other tool holders. I bought this
                  probably
                  > in the early 1980's when I bought my Taig. I was originally trying
                  > to find a really solid boring bar. In my search for a source, I
                  also
                  > discovered that my favorite cutoff tool was manufactured by the
                  same
                  > JDG Tool Company. I remember buying the cutoff tool from a hobby
                  > shop that carried early Unimats and Unimat Accessories. I will
                  call
                  > JDG today and see if they still have a supply of those bits.
                  >
                  > I really like them for certain things. They do seem to last
                  forever
                  > and are very forgiving for sharpening.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help.
                  >
                  > bill

                • ylists
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Actually, I suspect that the inserts for the 1/2 shanks are too large,
                    you are probably looking for TCMT2252, TCMT2251 (5/32 thickness), or
                    TCMT21.51, TCMT21.52 (3/32 thickness). all common, others are available
                    with different radii, but 51 r1/64 and 52 r1/32 are the most common.

                    As a reference check out the following table:
                    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=159&PMCTLG=00

                    Cheers,

                    Mark

                    Steve Blackmore wrote:

                    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:03:05 -0000, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >I've got a question in a similar vein. I recently bought this set of
                    > >insert holders:
                    > >http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39931
                    > <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39931>
                    > >
                    > >I figured they must take a standard insert but for the life of me, I
                    > >don't know what they are and HF is not a huge help. I imagine that
                    > >they might be the same as go in the 1/2" holders but I can't tell.
                    > >Anyone know?
                    >
                    > ??? - The type is on the insert page linked to by that page
                    >
                    > TCMT3252
                    >
                    > Absolutely standard insert.
                    >
                    > Steve Blackmore

                  • stl.bill
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Hi, Art
                      I am grateful for the clarification. Yep, those are the same tools.
                      I remember clearly that I bought the cutoff tool from a hobby shop.
                      I must have ordered the boring bar and bits from Emco. I remember
                      having their catalogs. BTW, my boring bar is only 4 3/4" long. The
                      one in your set looks longer.

                      You cleared up another mystery. I have had that wrench in my tool
                      drawer for years and had no idea where it came from!!!! How fun!

                      I will try to call JBG tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let you know what
                      I find out.

                      Thanks

                      bill

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <t2b1r3@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Bill
                      >
                      > I have uploaded pics of the Unimat version
                      > of the JDG holder set to my "AJ's Pics" album
                      > in the Photos section. This one is my NOS set
                      > that never makes it near my lathes.
                      > Sell It ??? - Likely be in my estate sale!!!<g>
                      > They do show up on eBay every once in a(long)while.
                      > I also put a high res copy of the instruction
                      > pamphlet in the Photos section, should you want
                      > to print it for reference. Look for the first
                      > individual file after all the folders.
                      > The inserts were available in 3 grades, M2 - T15
                      > and Carbide. The ends were color coded - until you
                      > sharpened both ends!!!.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Art
                      >

                      > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks, Art and Kristin
                      > >
                      > > I have posted a picture of the bit and toolholder.
                      > >
                      > > Art:
                      > >
                      > > I had no idea there were other tool holders. I bought this
                      > probably
                      > > in the early 1980's when I bought my Taig. I was originally
                      trying
                      > > to find a really solid boring bar. In my search for a source, I
                      > also
                      > > discovered that my favorite cutoff tool was manufactured by the
                      > same
                      > > JDG Tool Company. I remember buying the cutoff tool from a hobby
                      > > shop that carried early Unimats and Unimat Accessories. I will
                      > call
                      > > JDG today and see if they still have a supply of those bits.
                      > >
                      > > I really like them for certain things. They do seem to last
                      > forever
                      > > and are very forgiving for sharpening.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for your help.
                      > >
                      > > bill

                    • Rob Tsou
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                        I was thinking the 1/2 ones would be too large also. Thanks for the
                        reference. I'll put the calipers on them and see which ones look right.

                        Thanks again!

                        Rob

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, ylists <ylists@...> wrote:

                        > Actually, I suspect that the inserts for the 1/2 shanks are too large,
                        > you are probably looking for TCMT2252, TCMT2251 (5/32 thickness), or
                        > TCMT21.51, TCMT21.52 (3/32 thickness). all common, others are available
                        > with different radii, but 51 r1/64 and 52 r1/32 are the most common.
                        >
                        > As a reference check out the following table:
                        > http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=159&PMCTLG=00
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Mark
                        >
                        > Steve Blackmore wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:03:05 -0000, you wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >I've got a question in a similar vein. I recently bought this set of
                        > > >insert holders:
                        > >
                        >http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39931

                        <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39931>

                        > > >I figured they must take a standard insert but for the life of me, I
                        > > >don't know what they are and HF is not a huge help. I imagine that
                        > > >they might be the same as go in the 1/2" holders but I can't tell.
                        > > >Anyone know?
                        > >
                        > > ??? - The type is on the insert page linked to by that page
                        > >
                        > > TCMT3252
                        > >
                        > > Absolutely standard insert.
                        > >
                        > > Steve Blackmore
                        > > --

                      • Art
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                          Hi Bill

                          Both of my boring bars are 6" o/a and have a
                          90 degree bit holder on one end and 45 degree
                          on the other. Hope that you get a positive
                          reply when you phone them.

                          Regards
                          Art

                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" <stl.bill@...> wrote:

                          > Hi, Art
                          > I am grateful for the clarification. Yep, those are the same
                          tools.
                          > I remember clearly that I bought the cutoff tool from a hobby
                          shop.
                          > I must have ordered the boring bar and bits from Emco. I remember
                          > having their catalogs. BTW, my boring bar is only 4 3/4" long.
                          The
                          > one in your set looks longer.
                          >
                          > You cleared up another mystery. I have had that wrench in my tool
                          > drawer for years and had no idea where it came from!!!! How fun!
                          >
                          > I will try to call JBG tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let you know
                          what
                          > I find out.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > bill

                        • Bill Marvel
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                            Hi, Art

                            The listed telephone for JDG Tools in Brooklyn, NY is not a working number.

                            I'll just keep looking now that I know what I need. I wish I new the common name for the tools. I think it was marketed as the Edelstaal Cutting Tool System.

                            Thanks for all your help and the help of others who replied on the Forum.

                            regards,
                            bill

                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "stl.bill" wrote:

                            > Hi, Art
                            > I am grateful for the clarification. Yep, those are the same
                            tools.
                            > I remember clearly that I bought the cutoff tool from a hobby
                            shop.
                            > I must have ordered the boring bar and bits from Emco. I remember
                            > having their catalogs. BTW, my boring bar is only 4 3/4" long.
                            The
                            > one in your set looks longer.
                            >
                            > You cleared up another mystery. I have had that wrench in my tool
                            > drawer for years and had no idea where it came from!!!! How fun!
                            >
                            > I will try to call JBG tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let you know
                            what
                            > I find out.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > bill