Re: Success!

  • mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
      how much power do you have cutting ... what depth can you cut al
      without stalling?
      I have a few spares from my heli that I've considered doing the same ,
      what motor did you use?
    • Ken Cline
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
        Heat dissipation is a big issue for a motor this small. During bench
        testing with a frictional load on the shaft, I have run the motor at
        180 watts (1/4 HP) input for a short time without overheating, but I
        didn't want to hold on to the shaft for a while afterwards! I'm
        confident I will be able to use it for the sort of jobs I have in
        mind, but I'll be mindful of the load. The lathe is not ready yet so
        I can't report about its actual use.

        The motor is designed for 10-15 minutes of hard use with a stream of
        air flowing over it for cooling. Compounding the problem is
        frictional heat generated by the worm gear. The one thing that gives
        me hope is that I don't need 1/2 HP - one quarter of that should
        generally suffice. The new heat sink will help (did *you* hide my
        heat sink compound???) and I can connect a fan if it turns out to be
        necessary. Also, the controller will cut out if the speed drops
        below 5000 RPM (500 RPM at the pulley) or so. This setup won't burn
        up if it stalls.

        Brushless model motors are optimized for efficiency, weight and size;
        they spin fast; and they are expensive. None of these factors are
        needed to drive a lathe. I would not recommend my approach unless
        you are as stubbornly determined to go that route as I am.

        Tony - yes, I'm using a 12 volt sealed leas acid battery rated at 35
        amp hours, and trickle charger. The manufacturer gives data for
        running it between 8 and 12 cells (about 10-16V).

        Mark - I'll report back after I get the lathe running. I have yet to
        lap the ways and assemble everything, plus I need to shield the gears
        and electronics from flying chips. The motor is a Jeti Phasor 30-3.
        "Direct drive only".

        Ken

        On 4 Feb 2008, at 2:37 AM, Bertho Boman wrote:

        > Nice job Ken! I have also been thinking about using one of those fancy
        > motors but I have been worrying about heat dissipation. On an
        > airplane the
        > prop dumps a lot of air into it for cooling but not for stationary
        > use.
        > High peak power is great but what is the steady state rating. I
        > have had a
        > hard time finding any specs on that.
        >
        > 12V * 35A at 83% efficiency means that there is over 70 Watts that
        > got to be
        > dissipated in that little motor.
        >
        > Bertho

      • Don Rogers
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
          Ken, I’m sure you have considered this, but I’ll point it out anyway.
          Airflow. It is critical to those motors and to their controllers. LOTS of
          air. They were designed for a steady 20 to 30 MPH flow of air into them and
          without a semi steady flow at that speed, they overheat and in the case of
          the controller, shut down. The ESC’s are designed to shut down on over temp
          and over current, as well as under voltage. Also, they want a pure DC
          source. One concern I’ve had is the duty cycle for them. In a model
          airplane environment, a 10 minute flight followed by 20 to 30 minutes down
          time is normal. In a lathe, I can see some long run times, and if you are
          doing CNC Mill work several hours between shutdown should be expected. I’m
          not sure they are up to that environment, yet.

          They are incredible little motors though. I’ve seen setups with four of
          them in a planetary arrangement that were pulling close to 5KW, while
          turning a 24” prop. There is even a full sized plane now flying on that
          type of motor and Lipo batteries. I think it has a 30 minute range though,
          so it is not practical yet. The way battery technology is going though it
          shouldn’t be long.

        • Ken Cline
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
            Thanks, Don.

            I completely agree. This motor would likely overheat doing
            production work. I don't expect to push it very hard. If it gets
            hot, I'll point a fan at it. If that's not enough, I could make a
            liquid cooled heat sink. Honestly, though, I don't expect to use it
            hard enough for that to matter.

            As for power, I'm using a hefty lead acid battery with only 0.03V
            noise (peak to peak) when charging. No worries there. A power
            supply scavenged from an old computer could also be an inexpensive
            option, though I don't how those supplies behave under the extremely
            low load condition when the ESC is drawing standby power.

            I'm not sure why you said they are not up to this environment yet.
            Industrial brushless motors are avalable to at least 10 HP. They are
            beautiful, but expensive and not actually that much more efficient
            than DC motors at high power.

            Ken

            P.S. I think I described this as a 3-phase AC motor. I used the
            wrong terminology. AC motors are driven by sinusoidal signals and
            have sinusoidal back EMF. Brushless DC motors operate on square or
            trapezoidal waves.

            On 4 Feb 2008, at 11:52 AM, Don Rogers wrote:

            > In a model
            > airplane environment, a 10 minute flight followed by 20 to 30
            > minutes down
            > time is normal. In a lathe, I can see some long run times, and if
            > you are
            > doing CNC Mill work several hours between shutdown should be
            > expected. I�m
            > not sure they are up to that environment, yet.

          • mike maxim
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
              I use a yogurt container and mounted a fan at the
              bottom and put it over my dc motor so the bottom is
              now the top. I turn it on when I start the machine
              and it keepes the motor cool.
              mike

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs