Re: [taigtools] Gear cutting issues

    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2000
      At 22:53 06/05/00 +1100, you wrote:
      >Has anyone had any experience cutting gears and/or using button
      >gear-cutter form tools on the Taig II?
      >
      >I ask, as I have just found out a neat way of producing almost-involute
      >gear cutters, and considering the shocking prices of
      >commercially-available cutters, I naturally would like to make my own.
      >
      >The question is: is he Taig up to the shock loads that would be
      >produced using a button form tool.
      >
      >Another related question is: is the Taig up to the shock loads that
      >would be generated in actually cutting gears of, say, 12, 18, or 20
      >teeth @ 24DP (Tony should guess why I'm asking about this specific
      >range :). No doubt slitting the blanks would help considerably here.

      I can't guess what you are building ... ;-)

      I haven't tried cutting gears of that size on the Taig - my gearcutting to
      date has been brass clock wheels/pinions, which causes no pain
      whatsoever. However, I have done other interrupted cuts on the Taig with
      no ill effects. The worst of these was trueing up the inside of a cast
      iron cone pulley (for a lathe I had at the time) to get it more nearly
      dynamically balanced. I managed to destroy two carbide-tipped tools in the
      process, but the lathe was fine...

      As with all small machines, take it slowly & in several passes, with plenty
      of cutting oil, & almost anything can be done.

      Let us know how you get on!

    • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2000
        > The question is: is he Taig up to the shock loads that would be
        > produced using a button form tool.
        Yes. I have done all sorts of terrible interrupted cuts on the Taig, just
        take light cuts/ slow feeds. Wait until you cut a large crankshaft out of
        CRS on the Taig, now that's a shock load! The worst that will happen is the
        lathe will jam and the belt slip. (or the tool will break.....)
      • Alexander Newman
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2000
          Hi there Tony and Nick,

          On Sat, 06 May 2000 15:05:00 +0100, Tony Jeffree wrote:

          > At 22:53 06/05/00 +1100, you wrote:
          > >Has anyone had any experience cutting gears and/or using button
          > >gear-cutter form tools on the Taig II?
          > >I ask, as I have just found out a neat way of producing almost-involute
          > >gear cutters, and considering the shocking prices of
          > >commercially-available cutters, I naturally would like to make my own.
          > >
          > >The question is: is he Taig up to the shock loads that would be
          > >produced using a button form tool.
          > >
          > >Another related question is: is the Taig up to the shock loads that
          > >would be generated in actually cutting gears of, say, 12, 18, or 20
          > >teeth @ 24DP (Tony should guess why I'm asking about this specific
          > >range :). No doubt slitting the blanks would help considerably here.
          >

          > I can't guess what you are building ... ;-)

          :)

          > I haven't tried cutting gears of that size on the Taig - my gearcutting to
          > date has been brass clock wheels/pinions, which causes no pain
          > whatsoever. However, I have done other interrupted cuts on the Taig with
          > no ill effects. The worst of these was trueing up the inside of a cast
          > iron cone pulley (for a lathe I had at the time) to get it more nearly
          > dynamically balanced. I managed to destroy two carbide-tipped tools in the
          > process, but the lathe was fine...
          >
          > As with all small machines, take it slowly & in several passes, with plenty
          > of cutting oil, & almost anything can be done.

          Thanks for the encouraging advice! All I need to do now is:
          get my dti holder finished
          get the lathe properly aligned (saddle is badly out of truth wrt the
          lathe bed as well)
          get my die-holder holder finished
          make up the dividing head (I actually have the HPC worm and wormwheel
          for this! And I got the goodsin six days pf ordering, pretty snappy
          stuff :).

          > Let us know how you get on!

          I will..hopefully sooner rather than later.

          Then I can (hopefully) make up the leadscrew!

          Cheers,

          Alex.
        • Alexander Newman
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2000
            Hi there Nick,

            On Sat, 6 May 2000 22:18:04 -0700, Felice Luftschein and Nicholas
            Carter wrote:

> [...]

            That's a relief! I'm actually thinking of getting a timing gear and
            belt (from HPC Gears in the UK) and a speed controller for the motor a
            as I am getting a little fed up with the current belt slipping as much
            as it does even on minor cuts (let alone much bigger ones!).

            I will definitely slash the gear blanks with a slitting saw of suitable
            thickness when I get to the point of making up the gears for Tony's
            leadscrew attachment(s).

            Cheers,

            Alex.