Gear cutting issues

  • Alexander Newman
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2000
      Has anyone had any experience cutting gears and/or using button
      gear-cutter form tools on the Taig II?

      I ask, as I have just found out a neat way of producing almost-involute
      gear cutters, and considering the shocking prices of
      commercially-available cutters, I naturally would like to make my own.

      The question is: is he Taig up to the shock loads that would be
      produced using a button form tool.

      Another related question is: is the Taig up to the shock loads that
      would be generated in actually cutting gears of, say, 12, 18, or 20
      teeth @ 24DP (Tony should guess why I'm asking about this specific
      range :). No doubt slitting the blanks would help considerably here.

      Cheers,

      Alex.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2000
        At 22:53 06/05/00 +1100, you wrote:
        >Has anyone had any experience cutting gears and/or using button
        >gear-cutter form tools on the Taig II?
        >
        >I ask, as I have just found out a neat way of producing almost-involute
        >gear cutters, and considering the shocking prices of
        >commercially-available cutters, I naturally would like to make my own.
        >
        >The question is: is he Taig up to the shock loads that would be
        >produced using a button form tool.
        >
        >Another related question is: is the Taig up to the shock loads that
        >would be generated in actually cutting gears of, say, 12, 18, or 20
        >teeth @ 24DP (Tony should guess why I'm asking about this specific
        >range :). No doubt slitting the blanks would help considerably here.

        I can't guess what you are building ... ;-)

        I haven't tried cutting gears of that size on the Taig - my gearcutting to
        date has been brass clock wheels/pinions, which causes no pain
        whatsoever. However, I have done other interrupted cuts on the Taig with
        no ill effects. The worst of these was trueing up the inside of a cast
        iron cone pulley (for a lathe I had at the time) to get it more nearly
        dynamically balanced. I managed to destroy two carbide-tipped tools in the
        process, but the lathe was fine...

        As with all small machines, take it slowly & in several passes, with plenty
        of cutting oil, & almost anything can be done.

        Let us know how you get on!

      • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2000
          > The question is: is he Taig up to the shock loads that would be
          > produced using a button form tool.
          Yes. I have done all sorts of terrible interrupted cuts on the Taig, just
          take light cuts/ slow feeds. Wait until you cut a large crankshaft out of
          CRS on the Taig, now that's a shock load! The worst that will happen is the
          lathe will jam and the belt slip. (or the tool will break.....)
        • Alexander Newman
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2000
            Hi there Tony and Nick,

            On Sat, 06 May 2000 15:05:00 +0100, Tony Jeffree wrote:

            > At 22:53 06/05/00 +1100, you wrote:
            > >Has anyone had any experience cutting gears and/or using button
            > >gear-cutter form tools on the Taig II?
            > >I ask, as I have just found out a neat way of producing almost-involute
            > >gear cutters, and considering the shocking prices of
            > >commercially-available cutters, I naturally would like to make my own.
            > >
            > >The question is: is he Taig up to the shock loads that would be
            > >produced using a button form tool.
            > >
            > >Another related question is: is the Taig up to the shock loads that
            > >would be generated in actually cutting gears of, say, 12, 18, or 20
            > >teeth @ 24DP (Tony should guess why I'm asking about this specific
            > >range :). No doubt slitting the blanks would help considerably here.
            >

            > I can't guess what you are building ... ;-)

            :)

            > I haven't tried cutting gears of that size on the Taig - my gearcutting to
            > date has been brass clock wheels/pinions, which causes no pain
            > whatsoever. However, I have done other interrupted cuts on the Taig with
            > no ill effects. The worst of these was trueing up the inside of a cast
            > iron cone pulley (for a lathe I had at the time) to get it more nearly
            > dynamically balanced. I managed to destroy two carbide-tipped tools in the
            > process, but the lathe was fine...
            >
            > As with all small machines, take it slowly & in several passes, with plenty
            > of cutting oil, & almost anything can be done.

            Thanks for the encouraging advice! All I need to do now is:
            get my dti holder finished
            get the lathe properly aligned (saddle is badly out of truth wrt the
            lathe bed as well)
            get my die-holder holder finished
            make up the dividing head (I actually have the HPC worm and wormwheel
            for this! And I got the goodsin six days pf ordering, pretty snappy
            stuff :).

            > Let us know how you get on!

            I will..hopefully sooner rather than later.

            Then I can (hopefully) make up the leadscrew!

            Cheers,

            Alex.
          • Alexander Newman
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2000
              Hi there Nick,

              On Sat, 6 May 2000 22:18:04 -0700, Felice Luftschein and Nicholas
              Carter wrote:

> [...]

              That's a relief! I'm actually thinking of getting a timing gear and
              belt (from HPC Gears in the UK) and a speed controller for the motor a
              as I am getting a little fed up with the current belt slipping as much
              as it does even on minor cuts (let alone much bigger ones!).

              I will definitely slash the gear blanks with a slitting saw of suitable
              thickness when I get to the point of making up the gears for Tony's
              leadscrew attachment(s).

              Cheers,

              Alex.