RE: [taigtools] Re: Taig DC Motor...

  • Jason Porter
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
      What do you guys think about the LOCO CNC kit for $300?

      http://www.lococnc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95

      Does anyone have experience with this?

      --Jasone

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
        Jason,

        I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
        motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Mike
        Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful. Feel free
        to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
        <http://www.nyccnc.com/> . There are lots of videos.

        ________________________________

        From: taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>

        "n_jalling" <niels@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Please remember that reversing or quick spindown of a threaded chuck
        > can be very dangerous!!!
        >
        > /Niels
        > ---
        > http://unitaig.jalling.dk <http://unitaig.jalling.dk>
        >

        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "Jason Porter" <jporter84@> wrote:

        > > Thanks Ken,
        > >
        > > I am glad you told me about these options. Do you by any chance
        > have the
        > > part number for the Surplus Center controller and option that you
        were
        > > referring to?
        > >
        > > Since there is no breaks in the motor, I am curious how they
        > implement this
        > > safety feature. If I was doing it, I would do it with a
        > microcontroller and
        > > some sort of tachometer. Without a tachometer, you would have to
        > just rely
        > > on a timer delay to make sure the motor has stopped.
        > >
        > > Interesting.
        > >
        > > Jason
        > >

        > > From: taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
        [mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
        > <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rob
        > > Tsou" <motodog1991@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > You can just add this switch.
        > > >
        > > > To add a reversing switch just add a DPDT Center Off switch (Radio
        > > > Shack Model: 275-653 | Catalog #: 275-653) between the output
        lines
        > > > to the motor. See the page below for details, do a search on the
        page
        > > > for reversing switch and there's a nice diagram on how to wire
        it up.

        > > As the guy on radio says "here is the rest of the story" --
        > >
        > > This works well BUT you had best expect to change direction from a
        > > dead stop position, and this rigging does not have any braking on
        the
        > > motor or interlock protections that come with the "higher priced"
        > > options. (Surplus Center offers a controller with an optional add on

        > > module for braking and direction changing. The add-on module is
        about
        > > $70 on top of the controller.)
        > >
        > > Sherline also has a technical sheet on the web for adding such a
        > > switch to the sherline variable speed DC motor. It is a bit more
        > > detailed.
        > >
        > > Radio Shack also has the switch with a center "all off" position
        that
        > > is a bit conservative, but has saved the day a couple of times
        > > with "oops" situations.
        > >
        > > Ken in Juneau

      • kuhncw
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hello John,

          Where is Loco CNC located? They have an interesting collection of
          modifications.

          Thanks,

          Chuck Kuhn

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "John Saunders" <johnsaunders@...>
          wrote:

          > Jason,
          >

          > I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
          > motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
          Mike
          > Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful. Feel
          free
          > to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
          > <http://www.nyccnc.com/> . There are lots of videos.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • John Saunders
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
            They are located in the Houston area...

            ________________________________

            wrote:

            > Jason,
            >

            > I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
            > motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
            Mike
            > Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful. Feel
            free
            > to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
            > <http://www.nyccnc.com/ <http://www.nyccnc.com/> > . There are lots of
            videos.

          • Michael Gamber
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
              We are in Conroe, TX. If you are close you can come by and talk to us
              in person. Or email me if you have any other questions.

              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "kuhncw" <kuhncw@...> wrote:

              > Hello John,
              >
              > Where is Loco CNC located? They have an interesting collection of
              > modifications.
              >

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Chuck Kuhn
              >

              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "John Saunders" <johnsaunders@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Jason,
              > >

              > > I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
              > > motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
              > Mike
              > > Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful.
              Feel
              > free
              > > to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
              > > <http://www.nyccnc.com/> . There are lots of videos.
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • kenvalaska
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 6, 2007
                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Porter" <jporter84@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Ken,
                >
                > I am glad you told me about these options. Do you by any chance
                have the
                > part number for the Surplus Center controller and option that you
                were
                > referring to?

                http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007110607372030&item=11-
                2102&catname=electric

                or

                http://tinyurl.com/yvp736

                The forward - reversing - braking - switch is one of the addons.

                Once I got it figured out that the switching process was not a "hold
                my beer and watch this" kind of show (by accident) it seemed worth
                sharing. I have not had any problem with the cheap switch solution
                and it is almost universal with small DC motors.

                As others have noted - off, stop the motor, and then change
                directions and start up again. It is nice on occasion to reverse. I
                am using one of the small DC motors to drive a yarn spinning head that
                my wife uses for plying. She spins in one direction and reverses
                direction for plying yarn. Never a problem as it is always a change
                from a dead stop.

                The cautions about threaded chucks are appropriate. They are have a
                lot of momentum coming off the threads.

                Note that neither the Sherline nor the PSI lathe replacement motors
                get low bottom end speeds that some other motor controller systems
                have. About 800-1000 revs per minute seems to be the low end. Works
                OK if you plan for it with the sheave settings.

                Ken in Juneau