Re: Taig DC Motor...

  • rrrevels
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
      Yes that is the $99 package. It is designed to go on a midi lathe for
      wood. The motor comes with the pulley for the wood lathe. I am in the
      process of making the brackets and boring the Taig pulley to fit the
      shaft. Hopefully I will be able to get it assembled this weekend.

      The motor does not go to 0 rpm with the included controller. It does
      seem to have a good bit of torque. I couldn't stop it by hand at the
      lowest speed.

      I have seen advertised through ebay a variable speed motor setup that
      appears to be much smaller but I don't know about the power of the
      motor.

      The main problem with cobbling together a system is if something breaks
      you may not find replacements of the same items. I am not modifying
      the original Taig motor bracket or motor so I can easily bolt it back
      on if necessary. I bought an extra pulley from Nick Carter
      (cartertools.com) so I could modify it and not have to disassemble the
      Taig setup. I also made a complete new bracket so the original will
      just bold back in place. I can't let the Taig go down for any length
      of time, I use it too much.

      Russ

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "jeffrey.hood" <jhood@...> wrote:

      > Is that the $99 package from Penn State Industries...??? And is that
      > a DC motor...?
      >
      > JH
      >
      > > I am in the process of installing a variable speed motor and
      > > controller from Penn State Industries but it isn't small either.
      The
      > > motor weighs 9 1/2 pounds. It is a little smaller in diameter but
      is
      > > longer. I hope to be able to get everything assembled this weekend.
      > >
      > > Russ

    • Mitch Cundiff
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
        Hey guys ;

        I just ordered one of those Dc motors today. I'm making a new mount,
        Can someone give me the bolt size and bolt hole circle size ?
        I wish to make a mount before it gets here next week.

        Mitch ...........
      • Jason Porter
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
          Hi Guys,

          I am looking for a DC motor conversion with a controller that allows the
          motor to run forward and REVERSE.

          Any suggestions?

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
            You can just add this switch.

            To add a reversing switch just add a DPDT Center Off switch (Radio
            Shack Model: 275-653 | Catalog #: 275-653) between the output lines
            to the motor. See the page below for details, do a search on the page
            for reversing switch and there's a nice diagram on how to wire it up.

            http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/switch.htm

            Rob

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Porter" <jporter84@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys,
            >
            > I am looking for a DC motor conversion with a controller that allows the
            > motor to run forward and REVERSE.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks

            On Behalf
            > Of southofhadrianswall
            > Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:57 PM
            > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [taigtools] Re: Taig DC Motor...
            >

            > JH,
            >
            > Did you see this link posted recently:
            > http://davesclocks.googlepages.com/convertingtaigmilltovariablespeed .
            >
            > Andrew
            >
            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            > "jeffrey.hood" <jhood@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for all of the info... that will definately help me if I
            > > decide to go that way... (although it seems that the conventional
            > > wisdom seems to indicate going with the Sherline...)
            > >
            > > JH

          • kenvalaska
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Tsou" <motodog1991@...> wrote:

              > You can just add this switch.
              >
              > To add a reversing switch just add a DPDT Center Off switch (Radio
              > Shack Model: 275-653 | Catalog #: 275-653) between the output lines
              > to the motor. See the page below for details, do a search on the page
              > for reversing switch and there's a nice diagram on how to wire it up.

              As the guy on radio says "here is the rest of the story" --

              This works well BUT you had best expect to change direction from a
              dead stop position, and this rigging does not have any braking on the
              motor or interlock protections that come with the "higher priced"
              options. (Surplus Center offers a controller with an optional add on
              module for braking and direction changing. The add-on module is about
              $70 on top of the controller.)

              Sherline also has a technical sheet on the web for adding such a
              switch to the sherline variable speed DC motor. It is a bit more
              detailed.

              Radio Shack also has the switch with a center "all off" position that
              is a bit conservative, but has saved the day a couple of times
              with "oops" situations.

              Ken in Juneau
            • Jason Porter
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                Thanks Ken,

                I am glad you told me about these options. Do you by any chance have the
                part number for the Surplus Center controller and option that you were
                referring to?

                Since there is no breaks in the motor, I am curious how they implement this
                safety feature. If I was doing it, I would do it with a microcontroller and
                some sort of tachometer. Without a tachometer, you would have to just rely
                on a timer delay to make sure the motor has stopped.

                Interesting.

                Jason

                > To add a reversing switch just add a DPDT Center Off switch (Radio
                > Shack Model: 275-653 | Catalog #: 275-653) between the output lines
                > to the motor. See the page below for details, do a search on the page
                > for reversing switch and there's a nice diagram on how to wire it up.

                As the guy on radio says "here is the rest of the story" --

                This works well BUT you had best expect to change direction from a
                dead stop position, and this rigging does not have any braking on the
                motor or interlock protections that come with the "higher priced"
                options. (Surplus Center offers a controller with an optional add on
                module for braking and direction changing. The add-on module is about
                $70 on top of the controller.)

                Sherline also has a technical sheet on the web for adding such a
                switch to the sherline variable speed DC motor. It is a bit more
                detailed.

                Radio Shack also has the switch with a center "all off" position that
                is a bit conservative, but has saved the day a couple of times
                with "oops" situations.

                Ken in Juneau

              • n_jalling
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                  Hi

                  Please remember that reversing or quick spindown of a threaded chuck
                  can be very dangerous!!!

                  /Niels
                  ---
                  http://unitaig.jalling.dk

                • rrrevels
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                    Hi Mitch,

                    The bolt circle for the Penn State variable speed motor is 2.54
                    inches. The bolts are 6 mm. I made a mounting plate based on the
                    modified Taig motor mount that Nick Carter has on his website. I also
                    made a 3/4" spacer to go between the motor and mounting plate. The
                    motor is 3 1/8" in diameter and I made the spacer ring the same. The
                    reason for the 3/4" spacer is that it allows me to use the pulley
                    without modifying the flat on the motor shaft. It took a couple of
                    trys to get the spacer thickness to what I wanted. I also used longer
                    screws that are flat head countersunk so the pulley can be close to the
                    plate. I will post a couple of early pictures in the taigfiles group
                    pictures under Russ' Taig.

                    I got it all assembled and working today. I am pleased with it. There
                    is a slight delay when it it turned on but it has plenty of power and I
                    have a large range of speeds using the Taig pulleys.

                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Mitch Cundiff" <mcundiff1@...> wrote:

                    > Hey guys ;
                    >
                    > I just ordered one of those Dc motors today. I'm making a new
                    mount,
                    > Can someone give me the bolt size and bolt hole circle size ?
                    > I wish to make a mount before it gets here next week.
                    >

                    > Mitch ...........

                  • Rob Tsou
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                      Yeah, I didn't mention it but probably should have. The switch I
                      linked to is the center off variation. The Taig probably shouldn't be
                      "braked" as it can cause the chuck to spin off. My controller has a
                      braking feature but I don't use it for this reason. The correct way
                      to use this is to stop the lathe (either by using center off or the
                      power switch) and then putting it in reverse and starting it back up.
                      Again, running the Taig in reverse is iffy too because of the screw on
                      chuck but collets and such should be okay. You can spend more money
                      on other options but this really works just fine.

                      Rob

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "n_jalling" <niels@...> wrote:

                      > Hi
                      >
                      > Please remember that reversing or quick spindown of a threaded chuck
                      > can be very dangerous!!!
                      >
                      > /Niels
                      > ---
                      > http://unitaig.jalling.dk
                      >

                      > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Porter" <jporter84@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks Ken,
                      > >
                      > > I am glad you told me about these options. Do you by any chance
                      > have the
                      > > part number for the Surplus Center controller and option that you were
                      > > referring to?
                      > >
                      > > Since there is no breaks in the motor, I am curious how they
                      > implement this
                      > > safety feature. If I was doing it, I would do it with a
                      > microcontroller and
                      > > some sort of tachometer. Without a tachometer, you would have to
                      > just rely
                      > > on a timer delay to make sure the motor has stopped.
                      > >
                      > > Interesting.
                      > >
                      > > Jason

                    • Jason Porter
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                        What do you guys think about the LOCO CNC kit for $300?

                        http://www.lococnc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95

                        Does anyone have experience with this?

                        --Jasone

                        "n_jalling" <niels@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        >
                        > Please remember that reversing or quick spindown of a threaded chuck
                        > can be very dangerous!!!
                        >
                        > /Niels
                        > ---
                        > http://unitaig.jalling.dk
                        >

                        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        "Jason Porter" <jporter84@> wrote:

                        > > Thanks Ken,
                        > >
                        > > I am glad you told me about these options. Do you by any chance
                        > have the
                        > > part number for the Surplus Center controller and option that you were
                        > > referring to?
                        > >
                        > > Since there is no breaks in the motor, I am curious how they
                        > implement this
                        > > safety feature. If I was doing it, I would do it with a
                        > microcontroller and
                        > > some sort of tachometer. Without a tachometer, you would have to
                        > just rely
                        > > on a timer delay to make sure the motor has stopped.
                        > >
                        > > Interesting.
                        > >
                        > > Jason
                        > >

                        > > From: taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rob
                        > > Tsou" <motodog1991@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > You can just add this switch.
                        > > >
                        > > > To add a reversing switch just add a DPDT Center Off switch (Radio
                        > > > Shack Model: 275-653 | Catalog #: 275-653) between the output lines
                        > > > to the motor. See the page below for details, do a search on the
                        page
                        > > > for reversing switch and there's a nice diagram on how to wire
                        it up.

                        > > As the guy on radio says "here is the rest of the story" --
                        > >
                        > > This works well BUT you had best expect to change direction from a
                        > > dead stop position, and this rigging does not have any braking on the
                        > > motor or interlock protections that come with the "higher priced"
                        > > options. (Surplus Center offers a controller with an optional add on
                        > > module for braking and direction changing. The add-on module is about
                        > > $70 on top of the controller.)
                        > >
                        > > Sherline also has a technical sheet on the web for adding such a
                        > > switch to the sherline variable speed DC motor. It is a bit more
                        > > detailed.
                        > >
                        > > Radio Shack also has the switch with a center "all off" position that
                        > > is a bit conservative, but has saved the day a couple of times
                        > > with "oops" situations.
                        > >
                        > > Ken in Juneau

                      • John Saunders
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Jason,

                          I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
                          motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Mike
                          Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful. Feel free
                          to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
                          <http://www.nyccnc.com/> . There are lots of videos.

                          ________________________________

                          From: taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>

                          "n_jalling" <niels@...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          >
                          > Please remember that reversing or quick spindown of a threaded chuck
                          > can be very dangerous!!!
                          >
                          > /Niels
                          > ---
                          > http://unitaig.jalling.dk <http://unitaig.jalling.dk>
                          >

                          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                          "Jason Porter" <jporter84@> wrote:

                          > > Thanks Ken,
                          > >
                          > > I am glad you told me about these options. Do you by any chance
                          > have the
                          > > part number for the Surplus Center controller and option that you
                          were
                          > > referring to?
                          > >
                          > > Since there is no breaks in the motor, I am curious how they
                          > implement this
                          > > safety feature. If I was doing it, I would do it with a
                          > microcontroller and
                          > > some sort of tachometer. Without a tachometer, you would have to
                          > just rely
                          > > on a timer delay to make sure the motor has stopped.
                          > >
                          > > Interesting.
                          > >
                          > > Jason
                          > >

                          > > From: taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
                          [mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rob
                          > > Tsou" <motodog1991@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > You can just add this switch.
                          > > >
                          > > > To add a reversing switch just add a DPDT Center Off switch (Radio
                          > > > Shack Model: 275-653 | Catalog #: 275-653) between the output
                          lines
                          > > > to the motor. See the page below for details, do a search on the
                          page
                          > > > for reversing switch and there's a nice diagram on how to wire
                          it up.

                          > > As the guy on radio says "here is the rest of the story" --
                          > >
                          > > This works well BUT you had best expect to change direction from a
                          > > dead stop position, and this rigging does not have any braking on
                          the
                          > > motor or interlock protections that come with the "higher priced"
                          > > options. (Surplus Center offers a controller with an optional add on

                          > > module for braking and direction changing. The add-on module is
                          about
                          > > $70 on top of the controller.)
                          > >
                          > > Sherline also has a technical sheet on the web for adding such a
                          > > switch to the sherline variable speed DC motor. It is a bit more
                          > > detailed.
                          > >
                          > > Radio Shack also has the switch with a center "all off" position
                          that
                          > > is a bit conservative, but has saved the day a couple of times
                          > > with "oops" situations.
                          > >
                          > > Ken in Juneau

                        • kuhncw
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                            Hello John,

                            Where is Loco CNC located? They have an interesting collection of
                            modifications.

                            Thanks,

                            Chuck Kuhn

                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "John Saunders" <johnsaunders@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Jason,
                            >

                            > I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
                            > motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
                            Mike
                            > Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful. Feel
                            free
                            > to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
                            > <http://www.nyccnc.com/> . There are lots of videos.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • John Saunders
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                              They are located in the Houston area...

                              ________________________________

                              wrote:

                              > Jason,
                              >

                              > I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
                              > motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
                              Mike
                              > Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful. Feel
                              free
                              > to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
                              > <http://www.nyccnc.com/ <http://www.nyccnc.com/> > . There are lots of
                              videos.

                            • Michael Gamber
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                We are in Conroe, TX. If you are close you can come by and talk to us
                                in person. Or email me if you have any other questions.

                                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "kuhncw" <kuhncw@...> wrote:

                                > Hello John,
                                >
                                > Where is Loco CNC located? They have an interesting collection of
                                > modifications.
                                >

                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Chuck Kuhn
                                >

                                > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "John Saunders" <johnsaunders@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Jason,
                                > >

                                > > I have Loco's Ultra Taig II mill which includes the variable speed
                                > > motor. It's great. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
                                > Mike
                                > > Gamber, the fellow that heads up Loco, is also very helpful.
                                Feel
                                > free
                                > > to check out my Loco Mill on my blog: www.nyccnc.com
                                > > <http://www.nyccnc.com/> . There are lots of videos.
                                > >

                                > > ________________________________

                              • kenvalaska
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Porter" <jporter84@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks Ken,
                                  >
                                  > I am glad you told me about these options. Do you by any chance
                                  have the
                                  > part number for the Surplus Center controller and option that you
                                  were
                                  > referring to?

                                  http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007110607372030&item=11-
                                  2102&catname=electric

                                  or

                                  http://tinyurl.com/yvp736

                                  The forward - reversing - braking - switch is one of the addons.

                                  Once I got it figured out that the switching process was not a "hold
                                  my beer and watch this" kind of show (by accident) it seemed worth
                                  sharing. I have not had any problem with the cheap switch solution
                                  and it is almost universal with small DC motors.

                                  As others have noted - off, stop the motor, and then change
                                  directions and start up again. It is nice on occasion to reverse. I
                                  am using one of the small DC motors to drive a yarn spinning head that
                                  my wife uses for plying. She spins in one direction and reverses
                                  direction for plying yarn. Never a problem as it is always a change
                                  from a dead stop.

                                  The cautions about threaded chucks are appropriate. They are have a
                                  lot of momentum coming off the threads.

                                  Note that neither the Sherline nor the PSI lathe replacement motors
                                  get low bottom end speeds that some other motor controller systems
                                  have. About 800-1000 revs per minute seems to be the low end. Works
                                  OK if you plan for it with the sheave settings.

                                  Ken in Juneau