Re: [taigtools] 5/8 bore ?

  • Stan Stocker
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi Justin,

      Are you cross drilling the piece, or putting a hole 1 1/2 inches deep in
      the end? If you are putting the hole in the end, just drill to depth
      with progressively larger bits to hog out as much waste as possible and
      finish with a boring bar. If you want to use an end mill, you can make
      an end mill holder to mount on the cross slide by securing a large
      enough block of aluminum to the cross slide, and boring it through with
      an end mill in the three jaw or four jaw lathe chuck. A slit to allow
      compression, a few bits of hardware, and you're all set.

      You could also use a lathe chuck on the mill as an endmill holder, or
      you could make an end mill holder that screws onto the mill nose
      threads. This will allow you to cross bore if that's the intended
      operation. A boring head is a handy accessory, could be the time to
      make or buy one for the mill.

      Lots of ways to do it, just a matter of the stuff on hand and the
      approach that strikes your fancy.

      Cheers,
      Stan

      justin reeves wrote:
      > Hello All, I need to drill out a 5/8 hole in a piece, half way, it is a 3" Long piece of 3/4 Aluminum rod, and I need to drill it towards one end, so I cant use the lathe, I have to use my mill, which only has a 3/8 chuck in it right now.
      >
      > I,m not sure what type of cutting tool to use, I cant find a 3/8 shank, 5/8 center drill end mill. Im used to working with wood, here I would just use a forstner bit, Is there something similar in machining.
      >
      > Suggestions?
      >
      > I cant waste alot of money on this its not that important, I saw littlemachineshop had a 6 pice end mill set for like $17 with all having 3/8 shank, but no 5/8, 1/2 was the largest.
      >
      > Thanks guys.
      > CHEERS

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
        If I am reading this right you want a 5/8 hole in the end creating a
        type of tube? This is only going to leave a 1/16" wall. I do not
        think drilling would be a good option with this wall thickness. I
        would bore it out being very careful. I have been playing with
        boring bars and it is amazing what you can do with them and a little
        practice.

        Jim D.

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, justin reeves <justinreeves16@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello All, I need to drill out a 5/8 hole in a piece, half way, it
        is a 3" Long piece of 3/4 Aluminum rod, and I need to drill it
        towards one end, so I cant use the lathe, I have to use my mill,
        which only has a 3/8 chuck in it right now.

        > I,m not sure what type of cutting tool to use, I cant find a 3/8
        shank, 5/8 center drill end mill. Im used to working with wood,
        here I would just use a forstner bit, Is there something similar in
        machining.

        > Suggestions?
        >
        > I cant waste alot of money on this its not that important, I saw
        littlemachineshop had a 6 pice end mill set for like $17 with all
        having 3/8 shank, but no 5/8, 1/2 was the largest.

        > Thanks guys.
        > CHEERS

      • justin reeves
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
          First off, I think I wasnt clear, the hole is being drilled at the far end perpendicular to the length of the rod. ie a tobacco pipes bowl.

          I know I could use the 1/2 chuck, and mount the piece in the mill attachment.
          but I would rather have the end mill that will fit in my mill.

          I havent changed the piece of junk over to accept collets yet, its a POS micro mill from Harbor freight. But it does much larger pieces than my Taig Lathe.

          But even more to the point, is the center cutting end mill the best choice for this,
          it does need a flat or rounded bottom, ie a tobacco pipe again.

          Or would I be better off tracking down say some type of counter bore.

          Can some one refer me to a build your own mill boring head tutorial. I already have bars, and mini bars.

        • Wally and Otter
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
            Nobody has mentioned a rotary table yet so I will. If you are lucky
            to have one that would do the trick also.

            Steve C.

            wrote:

            > First off, I think I wasnt clear, the hole is being drilled at the
            far end perpendicular to the length of the rod. ie a tobacco pipes
            bowl.

            > I know I could use the 1/2 chuck, and mount the piece in the mill
            attachment.
            > but I would rather have the end mill that will fit in my mill.
            >
            > I havent changed the piece of junk over to accept collets yet, its a
            POS micro mill from Harbor freight. But it does much larger pieces
            than my Taig Lathe.

            > But even more to the point, is the center cutting end mill the best
            choice for this,
            > it does need a flat or rounded bottom, ie a tobacco pipe again.
            >
            > Or would I be better off tracking down say some type of counter bore.
            >
            > Can some one refer me to a build your own mill boring head tutorial.
            I already have bars, and mini bars.

          • Guy Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
              Not to be niave but I beleive if you have an old
              forstner bit you are willing to sacrifice to the
              project you should be able to bore your hole quite
              acceptably. I have used spade bits in Al plate with
              reasonably good results.
              --- justin reeves <justinreeves16@...> wrote:

              > Hello All, I need to drill out a 5/8 hole in a
              > piece, half way, it is a 3" Long piece of 3/4
              > Aluminum rod, and I need to drill it towards one
              > end, so I cant use the lathe, I have to use my mill,
              > which only has a 3/8 chuck in it right now.
              >
              > I,m not sure what type of cutting tool to use, I
              > cant find a 3/8 shank, 5/8 center drill end mill.
              > Im used to working with wood, here I would just use
              > a forstner bit, Is there something similar in
              > machining.
              >
              > Suggestions?
              >
              > I cant waste alot of money on this its not that
              > important, I saw littlemachineshop had a 6 pice end
              > mill set for like $17 with all having 3/8 shank,
              > but no 5/8, 1/2 was the largest.
              >
              > Thanks guys.
              > CHEERS

              > removed]

            • Paul W. Chamberlain
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                Hi Justin,

                There's one example over on the Sherline group (excerpt of a recent
                message):

                Hi Evind,
                I had made a boring head using a dovetail.
                If you want see some photos, go to my albums;
                "Jerrry G's Junk" and "Miscellaneous". ( posted by John Guenther)
                If you would like details, go to the Files section.
                " Boring Head"
                I have a pdf with all the dimensions and sketches.
                "Combined Boring Head Sketches and Legend"
                Regards,
                Jerry G (Glickstein)

                Paul, Central OR

                *****

                justin reeves wrote:

                ><snip>
                >
                >Can some one refer me to a build your own mill boring head tutorial. I already have bars, and mini bars.

              • Bertho Boman
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
                  I remember stepper controller sources discussed several times and I have
                  been saving references but I am on the road for a couple of weeks with
                  limited access to internet or to my files. A Google search gives tons of
                  them but what are the practical suppliers for our type of machines or other
                  DYI machines.

                  What companies should I review?

                  TIA,

                  Bertho