Re: [taigtools] 5/8 bore ?

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
      At 14:46 08/10/2007, you wrote:
      >Hello All, I need to drill out a 5/8 hole in a piece, half way, it
      >is a 3" Long piece of 3/4 Aluminum rod, and I need to drill it
      >towards one end, so I cant use the lathe, I have to use my mill,
      >which only has a 3/8 chuck in it right now.
      >
      >I,m not sure what type of cutting tool to use, I cant find a 3/8
      >shank, 5/8 center drill end mill. Im used to working with wood,
      >here I would just use a forstner bit, Is there something similar in machining.
      >
      >Suggestions?
      >
      >I cant waste alot of money on this its not that important, I saw
      >littlemachineshop had a 6 pice end mill set for like $17 with all
      >having 3/8 shank, but no 5/8, 1/2 was the largest.
      >
      >Thanks guys.
      >CHEERS

      Use a boring bar and bore it in the lathe? Should be well within what
      the lathe can do especially in aluminium. Best to support it with the
      fixed steady, pilot drill it from the tailstock to get a starter hole
      that will admit the boring bar, then away you go.

    • Stan Stocker
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
        Hi Justin,

        Are you cross drilling the piece, or putting a hole 1 1/2 inches deep in
        the end? If you are putting the hole in the end, just drill to depth
        with progressively larger bits to hog out as much waste as possible and
        finish with a boring bar. If you want to use an end mill, you can make
        an end mill holder to mount on the cross slide by securing a large
        enough block of aluminum to the cross slide, and boring it through with
        an end mill in the three jaw or four jaw lathe chuck. A slit to allow
        compression, a few bits of hardware, and you're all set.

        You could also use a lathe chuck on the mill as an endmill holder, or
        you could make an end mill holder that screws onto the mill nose
        threads. This will allow you to cross bore if that's the intended
        operation. A boring head is a handy accessory, could be the time to
        make or buy one for the mill.

        Lots of ways to do it, just a matter of the stuff on hand and the
        approach that strikes your fancy.

        Cheers,
        Stan

        justin reeves wrote:
        > Hello All, I need to drill out a 5/8 hole in a piece, half way, it is a 3" Long piece of 3/4 Aluminum rod, and I need to drill it towards one end, so I cant use the lathe, I have to use my mill, which only has a 3/8 chuck in it right now.
        >
        > I,m not sure what type of cutting tool to use, I cant find a 3/8 shank, 5/8 center drill end mill. Im used to working with wood, here I would just use a forstner bit, Is there something similar in machining.
        >
        > Suggestions?
        >
        > I cant waste alot of money on this its not that important, I saw littlemachineshop had a 6 pice end mill set for like $17 with all having 3/8 shank, but no 5/8, 1/2 was the largest.
        >
        > Thanks guys.
        > CHEERS

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
          If I am reading this right you want a 5/8 hole in the end creating a
          type of tube? This is only going to leave a 1/16" wall. I do not
          think drilling would be a good option with this wall thickness. I
          would bore it out being very careful. I have been playing with
          boring bars and it is amazing what you can do with them and a little
          practice.

          Jim D.

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, justin reeves <justinreeves16@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello All, I need to drill out a 5/8 hole in a piece, half way, it
          is a 3" Long piece of 3/4 Aluminum rod, and I need to drill it
          towards one end, so I cant use the lathe, I have to use my mill,
          which only has a 3/8 chuck in it right now.

          > I,m not sure what type of cutting tool to use, I cant find a 3/8
          shank, 5/8 center drill end mill. Im used to working with wood,
          here I would just use a forstner bit, Is there something similar in
          machining.

          > Suggestions?
          >
          > I cant waste alot of money on this its not that important, I saw
          littlemachineshop had a 6 pice end mill set for like $17 with all
          having 3/8 shank, but no 5/8, 1/2 was the largest.

          > Thanks guys.
          > CHEERS

        • justin reeves
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
            First off, I think I wasnt clear, the hole is being drilled at the far end perpendicular to the length of the rod. ie a tobacco pipes bowl.

            I know I could use the 1/2 chuck, and mount the piece in the mill attachment.
            but I would rather have the end mill that will fit in my mill.

            I havent changed the piece of junk over to accept collets yet, its a POS micro mill from Harbor freight. But it does much larger pieces than my Taig Lathe.

            But even more to the point, is the center cutting end mill the best choice for this,
            it does need a flat or rounded bottom, ie a tobacco pipe again.

            Or would I be better off tracking down say some type of counter bore.

            Can some one refer me to a build your own mill boring head tutorial. I already have bars, and mini bars.

          • Wally and Otter
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
              Nobody has mentioned a rotary table yet so I will. If you are lucky
              to have one that would do the trick also.

              Steve C.

              wrote:

              > First off, I think I wasnt clear, the hole is being drilled at the
              far end perpendicular to the length of the rod. ie a tobacco pipes
              bowl.

              > I know I could use the 1/2 chuck, and mount the piece in the mill
              attachment.
              > but I would rather have the end mill that will fit in my mill.
              >
              > I havent changed the piece of junk over to accept collets yet, its a
              POS micro mill from Harbor freight. But it does much larger pieces
              than my Taig Lathe.

              > But even more to the point, is the center cutting end mill the best
              choice for this,
              > it does need a flat or rounded bottom, ie a tobacco pipe again.
              >
              > Or would I be better off tracking down say some type of counter bore.
              >
              > Can some one refer me to a build your own mill boring head tutorial.
              I already have bars, and mini bars.

            • Guy Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                Not to be niave but I beleive if you have an old
                forstner bit you are willing to sacrifice to the
                project you should be able to bore your hole quite
                acceptably. I have used spade bits in Al plate with
                reasonably good results.
                --- justin reeves <justinreeves16@...> wrote:

                > Hello All, I need to drill out a 5/8 hole in a
                > piece, half way, it is a 3" Long piece of 3/4
                > Aluminum rod, and I need to drill it towards one
                > end, so I cant use the lathe, I have to use my mill,
                > which only has a 3/8 chuck in it right now.
                >
                > I,m not sure what type of cutting tool to use, I
                > cant find a 3/8 shank, 5/8 center drill end mill.
                > Im used to working with wood, here I would just use
                > a forstner bit, Is there something similar in
                > machining.
                >
                > Suggestions?
                >
                > I cant waste alot of money on this its not that
                > important, I saw littlemachineshop had a 6 pice end
                > mill set for like $17 with all having 3/8 shank,
                > but no 5/8, 1/2 was the largest.
                >
                > Thanks guys.
                > CHEERS

                > removed]

              • Paul W. Chamberlain
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                  Hi Justin,

                  There's one example over on the Sherline group (excerpt of a recent
                  message):

                  Hi Evind,
                  I had made a boring head using a dovetail.
                  If you want see some photos, go to my albums;
                  "Jerrry G's Junk" and "Miscellaneous". ( posted by John Guenther)
                  If you would like details, go to the Files section.
                  " Boring Head"
                  I have a pdf with all the dimensions and sketches.
                  "Combined Boring Head Sketches and Legend"
                  Regards,
                  Jerry G (Glickstein)

                  Paul, Central OR

                  *****

                  justin reeves wrote:

                  ><snip>
                  >
                  >Can some one refer me to a build your own mill boring head tutorial. I already have bars, and mini bars.

                • Bertho Boman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
                    I remember stepper controller sources discussed several times and I have
                    been saving references but I am on the road for a couple of weeks with
                    limited access to internet or to my files. A Google search gives tons of
                    them but what are the practical suppliers for our type of machines or other
                    DYI machines.

                    What companies should I review?

                    TIA,

                    Bertho