Re: [taigtools] Re: Working stone was 1/4 3/8 tool bits

  • Rick Reyes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2007
      I beg to differ Jim but Alabaster is mainly comprised of Calcite not
      silica. Though it may contain some it is not where it gets it's
      translucent quality.
      On Tuesday, July 31, 2007, at 07:28 AM, Jim wrote:

      > Thank you for your compliment! It is appreciated as are the others I
      > have received.
      >
      > True soapstone is just as you say, talc powder. When I turn it or
      > alabaster on my Delta a dust collector is working hard.
      >
      > Alabaster often contains silica. THis is mainly where the translucent
      > qualities come from. THe different colors are generated by the
      > minerals in the ground surrounding the stone and it can effect the
      > hardness of the stone as well.
      >
      > Jim D.
      >
      > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Your alabaster turnings are really neat, there are some translucent
      > > soapstones, but their colors are much darker, I have worked with
      > > some pinks and greens that are not bad.
      > > While soapstone dust does not in theory have free silica and can be
      > > guaranteed asbestos free, it would be like dumping a bottle of baby
      > > powder on your lathe!
      > > Seals I have carved:
      > > http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/sealcarving.html
      > >
      > > Jim Eckman

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        My mistake. However, it is the silica that many types of this stone
        contain that often causes problems in turning it. Because of it I
        switched to caride for much of the colors I liked to work with. It
        dulled HSS rather quickly.

        Jim D.