Re: [taigtools] newbie question

  • Roger V. Petrella Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2001
      I had talked to Forrest at Taig a few years ago when I got mine from him about
      opening up the spindle hole for just what you are talking about. I needed to
      get a 3/8" piece through the spindle. You can safely open it up. I used a
      slow speed and lots of lube and ran a drill, then a 3/8" reamer, and finally a
      25/64" reamer through the spindle. Works great.

      Roger Petrella
      Franktown, CO

      preitelbach@... wrote:

      > After years of wanting one...I am on the verge of buying a lathe. I
      > like the price of the Taig and the answer to the question below will
      > seal the deal for me.
      >
      > I have limited knowledge of machining methods..
      >
      > The current task is to make axle shafts 5.00" long from 0.375" dia.
      > aluminum bar. I need to reduce the diameter to 0.250" for 1.50" at
      > one end.
      >
      > "MY" idea would be to insert the bar throught the spindle and machine
      > the end. However the specs for the lathe indicate the spindle hole
      > is 0.343" dia. which precludes my method.
      >
      > The question is how else would I accomplish this task?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Pat

    • kenturmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2005
        I have recently purchased a tiag lathe along with the compound slide
        and steady rest. I am having some trouble with turning and facing. I
        need to be able to work with aluminum tube 1/2 dia by 5in long. When
        turning and facing i am having trouble with chatter. The steady rest
        dosen't seem to help and it actually seems to cause chatter of its own
        at the contact points. I am resonably sure it's not a cutter problem
        since they work on heavier stock close to the chuck.

        Would appreciate help to resolve.
        Thanks
        Ken
      • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2005
          Generally run work in the steady rest at a slow speed, make sure the fingers
          are always lubed with oil where they contact the work, as they are in
          essence a plain bearing with a shaft running on them.

          felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. Check out our
          homepage www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html