Re: [taigtools] Laptops

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2001
      At 14:10 03/02/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >I have been thinking of buying a used laptop computer for use with a
      >cnc driver board. I just saw on another egroup that the ports on
      >laptops are somewhat underpowered versus regular desktop computers.
      >Does any on this group have any experience using laptops for the
      >above use? Are they marginal for this use?

      I used to use an old Olivetti P90 based laptop for CNC use - had no
      problems with driving my Taig CNC mill from its parallel port. At one
      point I needed to use two ports & attached a docking station - had problems
      using the docking station's parallel port, but fixed that by putting a
      parallel port card in the docking station.

    • rsidor@triton.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2001
        Thanks Roy and Tony. Now I know what to look for. Forgot about the
        3.3 volt cpu,s. Won,t waste my money buying the wrong thing.
      • batwings@i-plus.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
          At 02:10 PM 2/3/01 -0000, you wrote:
          >I have been thinking of buying a used laptop computer for use with a
          >cnc driver board. I just saw on another egroup that the ports on
          >laptops are somewhat underpowered versus regular desktop computers.
          >Does any on this group have any experience using laptops for the
          >above use? Are they marginal for this use?

          I have people out there making perfectly good parts with laptops. The only
          difficulty is that sometimes they give you only one parallel port, so you
          get two axes only. The driver I use serves two axes per printer card or LPT
          port.

          Machining has very low CPU requirements. I run machines on 8088 series and
          anything better. The differences aren't obvious because most any puter will
          provide more pulses per second than your steppers can follow.

          Regards,

          Hoyt

          Belfab CNC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/belfab/belfab.html
          Best MC Repair - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/best.html
          Camping/Caving - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/caving.html
          The rear cyls are bigger for overall balance
        • Tom Benedict
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
            On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 rsidor@... wrote:

            > I have been thinking of buying a used laptop computer for use with a
            > cnc driver board. I just saw on another egroup that the ports on
            > laptops are somewhat underpowered versus regular desktop computers.
            > Does any on this group have any experience using laptops for the
            > above use? Are they marginal for this use?

            I'm using an IBM Thinkpad 760 to run my mill. Works like a champ. The
            one catch is I can't add a second parallel port to drive four axes at
            once. But hey, not bad.

            Tom
          • rsidor@triton.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001