Re: gear cutting on taig mill

  • leeharrysouth
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2007

      .
      > Steve Blackmore

      > --Steve, the gears that I plan to cut will be of brass and range
      from .5 to 1.oo inch in diamater. I probably will use a single point
      tool. I do not have any experiance at cutting small gears and very
      little with gears over 2 inches. My gear cutting book simply
      recommends 60-80 rpm. Please advise me if this is not correct. Can I
      cut gears with the taig motor low rpm of 500. I am in the process of
      deciding weather to buy a taig 1900ER or sherline 2000 mill and would
      like to make shure that the taig will meet my future needs.
      Thanks, Johnny

    • Steve Blackmore
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
        On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:50:11 -0000, you wrote:

        >Steve, the gears that I plan to cut will be of brass and range
        >from .5 to 1.oo inch in diamater. I probably will use a single point
        >tool. I do not have any experiance at cutting small gears and very
        >little with gears over 2 inches. My gear cutting book simply
        >recommends 60-80 rpm. Please advise me if this is not correct. Can I
        >cut gears with the taig motor low rpm of 500. I am in the process of
        >deciding weather to buy a taig 1900ER or sherline 2000 mill and would
        >like to make shure that the taig will meet my future needs.

        Hi Johnny - how does the book describe you cut them? Are you simply
        milling around the shape or putting them in a 4th axis, rotating the
        blank and cutting each tooth at a time?

        Have a look at the pictures on Tony Jeffree's site at

        http://www.jeffree.co.uk/divisionmaster/examples.html

        6th picture up from the bottom shows a gear being cut, at around 1100
        rpm.

        The bottom pictures show a Centec mill, it's set on mid speed, which is
        probably 895 rpm.

        Steve Blackmore
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
          At 08:31 01/06/2007, you wrote:
          >Have a look at the pictures on Tony Jeffree's site at
          >
          >http://www.jeffree.co.uk/divisionmaster/examples.html
          >
          >6th picture up from the bottom shows a gear being cut, at around 1100
          >rpm.

          There's another pic here showing a gear being cut on a Taig mill -
          last picture on this page:

          http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/divheadmk2.html

          The rest of the page tells you how to build the dividing head...

        • awolff612000
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
            I routinely cut brass gears for clocks using a single point cutter,
            also known as a fly cutter. A flycutter should be run much faster
            than a multitooth cutter and I have the best results at approximately
            3000 to 4000 RPM. 360 and 353 brass should be cut dry. Use a very
            small amount of cutting fluid if 260 brass is used to keep it from
            sticking to the cutter.
            Allan

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "leeharrysouth" <EDAVIS93@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:39:23 -0000, you wrote:
            > >
            > > >I am considering the purchace of a taig mill, but concerned that
            > taig
            > > >motor speed does not decrease below 500 rpm. I wish to cut small
            > gears
            > > >and have been told that 60 - 80 is a good rpm to do so. Can any
            > one
            > > >provide a little input concerning this matter.
            > >
            > > In what material, of what size, using what technique?
            > >
            > > I can't think of any situation where such a low spindle speed
            would
            > be
            > > necessary.
            > >
            > > Much more information is needed to give any useful advice.
            > >

            > .
            > > Steve Blackmore
            >
            > > --Steve, the gears that I plan to cut will be of brass and range
            > from .5 to 1.oo inch in diamater. I probably will use a single
            point
            > tool. I do not have any experiance at cutting small gears and very
            > little with gears over 2 inches. My gear cutting book simply
            > recommends 60-80 rpm. Please advise me if this is not correct. Can
            > cut gears with the taig motor low rpm of 500. I am in the process
            of
            > deciding weather to buy a taig 1900ER or sherline 2000 mill and
            would
            > like to make shure that the taig will meet my future needs.
            > Thanks, Johnny

          • leeharrysouth
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2007
              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:50:11 -0000, you wrote:
              >

              > >Steve, the gears that I plan to cut will be of brass and range
              > >from .5 to 1.oo inch in diamater. I probably will use a single
              point
              > >tool. I do not have any experiance at cutting small gears and very
              > >little with gears over 2 inches. My gear cutting book simply
              > >recommends 60-80 rpm. Please advise me if this is not correct. Can
              > >cut gears with the taig motor low rpm of 500. I am in the process
              of
              > >deciding weather to buy a taig 1900ER or sherline 2000 mill and
              would
              > >like to make shure that the taig will meet my future needs.
              >
              > Hi Johnny - how does the book describe you cut them? Are you simply
              > milling around the shape or putting them in a 4th axis, rotating the
              > blank and cutting each tooth at a time?
              >
              > Have a look at the pictures on Tony Jeffree's site at
              >
              > http://www.jeffree.co.uk/divisionmaster/examples.html
              >
              > 6th picture up from the bottom shows a gear being cut, at around
              1100
              > rpm.
              >
              > The bottom pictures show a Centec mill, it's set on mid speed,
              which is
              > probably 895 rpm.
              >
              > Steve Blackmore
              > --

              Steve,
              The book,Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law, indicates that the gear
              blank is to be mounted to a rotory table, indexing head or dividing
              head. The dividing head is mounted on a verticle lath table and a
              single point cuter is attached to the spindle. The single point cuter
              end is ground to match spir gear invulate teeth. The books speed
              table indicates that a home made steel cutting tool should be ran at
              120RPM when cuting a 1.250 Dia. brss spur gear. Could it be that this
              slow cuting speed is recommended as a starting point for those of us
              with limited experiance.

              Johnny
            • David Robertson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2007
                Johnny... are you sure this is RPM and not FPM (feet per minute)? Sure
                seems slow... even for a beginner.. !! You will be just as screwed at
                120 RPM as you will at 1000 RPM if you make a mistake..

                David

                leeharrysouth wrote:

                > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:50:11 -0000, you wrote:
                > >

                > > >Steve, the gears that I plan to cut will be of brass and range
                > > >from .5 to 1.oo inch in diamater. I probably will use a single
                > point
                > > >tool. I do not have any experiance at cutting small gears and very
                > > >little with gears over 2 inches. My gear cutting book simply
                > > >recommends 60-80 rpm. Please advise me if this is not correct. Can
                > > >cut gears with the taig motor low rpm of 500. I am in the process
                > of
                > > >deciding weather to buy a taig 1900ER or sherline 2000 mill and
                > would
                > > >like to make shure that the taig will meet my future needs.
                > >
                > > Hi Johnny - how does the book describe you cut them? Are you simply
                > > milling around the shape or putting them in a 4th axis, rotating the
                > > blank and cutting each tooth at a time?
                > >
                > > Have a look at the pictures on Tony Jeffree's site at
                > >
                > > http://www.jeffree.co.uk/divisionmaster/examples.html
                > <http://www.jeffree.co.uk/divisionmaster/examples.html>
                > >
                > > 6th picture up from the bottom shows a gear being cut, at around
                > 1100
                > > rpm.
                > >
                > > The bottom pictures show a Centec mill, it's set on mid speed,
                > which is
                > > probably 895 rpm.
                > >
                > > Steve Blackmore
                > > --
                > >
                > Steve,
                > The book,Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law, indicates that the gear
                > blank is to be mounted to a rotory table, indexing head or dividing
                > head. The dividing head is mounted on a verticle lath table and a
                > single point cuter is attached to the spindle. The single point cuter
                > end is ground to match spir gear invulate teeth. The books speed
                > table indicates that a home made steel cutting tool should be ran at
                > 120RPM when cuting a 1.250 Dia. brss spur gear. Could it be that this
                > slow cuting speed is recommended as a starting point for those of us
                > with limited experiance.
                >
                > Johnny

              • Steve Blackmore
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2007
                  On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:35:47 -0000, you wrote:

                  >The book,Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law, indicates that the gear
                  >blank is to be mounted to a rotory table, indexing head or dividing
                  >head. The dividing head is mounted on a verticle lath table and a
                  >single point cuter is attached to the spindle. The single point cuter
                  >end is ground to match spir gear invulate teeth. The books speed
                  >table indicates that a home made steel cutting tool should be ran at
                  >120RPM when cuting a 1.250 Dia. brss spur gear. Could it be that this
                  >slow cuting speed is recommended as a starting point for those of us
                  >with limited experiance.

                  Just because it was written by someone in a book, it doesn't make it
                  "right".

                  Surface speed for Brass using a HSS tool is 300 Feet Per Minute.

                  Cutting a gear is no different in principle to turning, or milling. The
                  same feeds and speeds apply.

                  Tables say 900 rpm and a feed rate of 7 ipm with a 15 thou cut using a
                  HSS bit for 1/4 HP spindle. If you want to be conservative, halve the
                  depth of cut.

                  Steve Blackmore
                  --
                • leeharrysouth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2007
                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

                    > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:35:47 -0000, you wrote:
                    >

                    > >The book,Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law, indicates that the
                    gear
                    > >blank is to be mounted to a rotory table, indexing head or
                    dividing
                    > >head. The dividing head is mounted on a verticle lath table and a
                    > >single point cuter is attached to the spindle. The single point
                    cuter
                    > >end is ground to match spir gear invulate teeth. The books speed
                    > >table indicates that a home made steel cutting tool should be ran
                    at
                    > >120RPM when cuting a 1.250 Dia. brss spur gear. Could it be that
                    this
                    > >slow cuting speed is recommended as a starting point for those of
                    us
                    > >with limited experiance.
                    >
                    > Just because it was written by someone in a book, it doesn't make it
                    > "right".
                    >
                    > Surface speed for Brass using a HSS tool is 300 Feet Per Minute.
                    >
                    > Cutting a gear is no different in principle to turning, or milling.
                    The
                    > same feeds and speeds apply.
                    >
                    > Tables say 900 rpm and a feed rate of 7 ipm with a 15 thou cut
                    using a
                    > HSS bit for 1/4 HP spindle. If you want to be conservative, halve
                    the
                    > depth of cut.
                    >
                    > Steve Blackmore
                    > --
                    >Thank you steve,
                    Your input has givin me quite a bit to ponder. It has certanly
                    cleared up some confusion. I will get a taig mill, get it set up and
                    beat that old lerning curve.
                    Thanks, Johnny