Re: [taigtools] Re: Microboring head for Taig CNC mill

  • Rich Crook
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4 4:11 PM
      At 11:01 AM 5/3/2007, you wrote:
      > > >With this arrangement I was able to bore a 2.16" dia hole
      > without vibration.
      > > >If you want additional details let me know.
      > >
      > > How about sending some pictures to Nick so he can put em on his web site?
      > > (Yahoo groups don't do attachments.)
      > >
      > > There's also the Files section on Yahoo for this group... you could
      > > post pictures there, as well.
      > >
      > > = Rich =
      >
      >Rich,
      >
      >Thanks for your interest. My wife ran off with our digital camera so
      >I won't be able to post anything until next week. I'll let you know
      >when I do.
      >
      >Larws

      Hee-hee. No rush. I'm always looking for mod's & additions to the
      lathe & mill...

      Like the saying goes - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but they
      never said anything about not modifying it! <grin>

      = Rich =
    • lars_721
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7 8:43 AM
        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Rich Crook <richcrook9418@...>
        wrote:

        > At 03:29 PM 5/1/2007, you wrote:
        > >I bought a head from LMS, and even in 1st gear there's a whole lot
        of
        > >shakin' going on.
        > >
        > >My solution was to put intermediate pulleys between the motor and
        the
        > >spindle. With a 2.6" dia pulley driven by the smallest pulley on
        the
        > >motor, and a .77" dia pulley driving '2nd gear' on the spindle I
        get
        > >a 4:1 +/- reduction in rpm.
        > >
        > >With this arrangement I was able to bore a 2.16" dia hole without
        > >vibration.
        > >
        > >If you want additional details let me know.
        >
        > How about sending some pictures to Nick so he can put em on his web
        site?
        > (Yahoo groups don't do attachments.)
        >
        > There's also the Files section on Yahoo for this group... you could
        > post pictures there, as well.
        >
        > = Rich =

        Rich,

        Finally found the cable to connect our digital camera to the computer.

        Here are four pixs.

      • Rich Crook
        Message 3 of 16 , May 7 11:30 PM
          At 11:43 AM 5/7/2007, you wrote:
          >Finally found the cable to connect our digital camera to the computer.
          >
          >Here are four pixs.

          Ahh, custom 3rd pulley.

          I just hope you don't try running it with the belt like in the last
          picture - it's jumping from one large groove to the other on the 3rd
          pulley in that one. <grin>

          I'm guessing that getting both belts tight is a bit of a trick...

          = Rich =

        • lars_721
          Message 4 of 16 , May 8 3:23 PM
            wrote:

            > At 11:43 AM 5/7/2007, you wrote:
            > >Finally found the cable to connect our digital camera to the
            computer.

            > >Here are four pixs.
            >
            > Ahh, custom 3rd pulley.
            >
            > I just hope you don't try running it with the belt like in the last
            > picture - it's jumping from one large groove to the other on the
            3rd
            > pulley in that one. <grin>
            >
            > I'm guessing that getting both belts tight is a bit of a trick...
            >
            > = Rich =

            Rich,

            Thanks for your interest. I did send Nick Carter the same pixs. He
            had built something similar, but wasn't happy with the results. He
            said he'd post the pix at the next update.

            It's not clear from the pix, but the pulley is mounted on a slotted
            arm clamped by the SHCS. To tighten the belts you put them into the
            grooves (all the way around) then push on the opposite end of the arm
            from the pulley, and the belts locate the pulleys where (I think)
            there is equal tension on each belt. In any case, you can feel and
            see it when both belts are tight. It's fallin' off a log easy.

            Message 5 of 16 , May 8 5:03 PM
              New pictures from Larry Plume, John Devost, Graham Collins, George
              Plezia and Andrew Lunn. Several new user sites/links. Also Taig now
              offers a mill tooling plate, see the catalog page for details.
              www.cartertools.com

              Enjoy!
              --
              felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our