Re: Motor controls...

  • Andrew Werby
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2007
      5a. Motor controls...
      Posted by: "Jeffrey Wittman" eyecreate@... sasbootch
      Date: Sun Mar 4, 2007 3:57 pm ((PST))

      I am about to buy my first taig cnc mill. I would very much like to be able
      to control the spindle on/off as well as the RPM of the spindle via
      software. I understand most current cnc software has these functions but the
      std. taig machine and controller does not (?). Any info would be greatly
      appreciated.-Jeff

      [If you get the new DSLS 3000 system, it comes with a relay box which turns
      the spindle on and off via M3/M5 commands, and has a separate receptacle
      suitable for another software-controlled function, like dust collection or
      mist coolant. It doesn't control the speed of the spindle, though. Unless
      you use a 3-phase motor and a Variable Frequency drive, or a DC motor (like
      Sherline's) doing this will not give you the full torque of the motor at the
      lower speeds, not to mention the torque multiplication you get with a pulley
      system. As was mentioned, the motors supplied with the Taig aren't
      susceptible to this, and refitting it with a universal AC/DC motor that is
      (like the MaxNC has) would be a step backwards, in my opinion.]

      Andrew Werby
      www.computersculpture.com
    • Jeffrey Wittman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2007
        Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful. Any info on the 3
        phase motor and the VFD (price and availability, etc.) would be appreciated.
        Thanks-Jeff

        >From: Lester Caine <lsces@...>
        >To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [taigtools] Motor controls...
        >Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 05:44:46 +0000
        >
        >Jeffrey Wittman wrote:
        > > I am about to buy my first taig cnc mill. I would very much like to be
        >able
        > > to control the spindle on/off as well as the RPM of the spindle via
        > > software. I understand most current cnc software has these functions but
        >the
        > > std. taig machine and controller does not (?). Any info would be greatly
        > > appreciated.-Jeff
        >
        >The current CNC models from MicroProto have a relay box that controls
        >the on/off, but not speed control. I am having fun with a nice little
        >inverter for the UK market but using a 3 phase motor. The single phase
        >motor supplied with the mill can't be easily speed controlled.
        >
        >--
        >Lester Caine - G8HFL
        >L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://home.lsces.co.uk
        >Model Engineers Digital Workshop -
        >http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/
        >Treasurer - Firebird Foundation Inc. - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

        Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.�
        http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline