Re: [taigtools] Motor controls...

  • Lester Caine
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
      Jeffrey Wittman wrote:
      > I am about to buy my first taig cnc mill. I would very much like to be able
      > to control the spindle on/off as well as the RPM of the spindle via
      > software. I understand most current cnc software has these functions but the
      > std. taig machine and controller does not (?). Any info would be greatly
      > appreciated.-Jeff

      The current CNC models from MicroProto have a relay box that controls
      the on/off, but not speed control. I am having fun with a nice little
      inverter for the UK market but using a 3 phase motor. The single phase
      motor supplied with the mill can't be easily speed controlled.

      --
      Lester Caine - G8HFL
      -----------------------------
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2007
        5a. Motor controls...
        Posted by: "Jeffrey Wittman" eyecreate@... sasbootch
        Date: Sun Mar 4, 2007 3:57 pm ((PST))

        I am about to buy my first taig cnc mill. I would very much like to be able
        to control the spindle on/off as well as the RPM of the spindle via
        software. I understand most current cnc software has these functions but the
        std. taig machine and controller does not (?). Any info would be greatly
        appreciated.-Jeff

        [If you get the new DSLS 3000 system, it comes with a relay box which turns
        the spindle on and off via M3/M5 commands, and has a separate receptacle
        suitable for another software-controlled function, like dust collection or
        mist coolant. It doesn't control the speed of the spindle, though. Unless
        you use a 3-phase motor and a Variable Frequency drive, or a DC motor (like
        Sherline's) doing this will not give you the full torque of the motor at the
        lower speeds, not to mention the torque multiplication you get with a pulley
        system. As was mentioned, the motors supplied with the Taig aren't
        susceptible to this, and refitting it with a universal AC/DC motor that is
        (like the MaxNC has) would be a step backwards, in my opinion.]

        Andrew Werby
        www.computersculpture.com
      • Jeffrey Wittman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2007
          Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful. Any info on the 3
          phase motor and the VFD (price and availability, etc.) would be appreciated.
          Thanks-Jeff

          >From: Lester Caine <lsces@...>
          >To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [taigtools] Motor controls...
          >Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 05:44:46 +0000
          >
          >Jeffrey Wittman wrote:
          > > I am about to buy my first taig cnc mill. I would very much like to be
          >able
          > > to control the spindle on/off as well as the RPM of the spindle via
          > > software. I understand most current cnc software has these functions but
          >the
          > > std. taig machine and controller does not (?). Any info would be greatly
          > > appreciated.-Jeff
          >
          >The current CNC models from MicroProto have a relay box that controls
          >the on/off, but not speed control. I am having fun with a nice little
          >inverter for the UK market but using a 3 phase motor. The single phase
          >motor supplied with the mill can't be easily speed controlled.
          >
          >--
          >Lester Caine - G8HFL
          >L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://home.lsces.co.uk
          >Model Engineers Digital Workshop -
          >http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/
          >Treasurer - Firebird Foundation Inc. - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

          Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.�
          http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline