Re: Use of Router Speed Control with Taig AC Motors

  • slopesoar50
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Reed" <reedxuk@...> wrote:

      > On 1/31/07, slopesoar50 <grahamweekes@...> wrote:
      > > Don't forget to allow for import duty on the product value (not sure
      > > how much but it is 2.7% on a milling machine)plus 17.5% VAT on the
      > > total sum of product cost plus shipping cost plus import duty. It
      > > might still be worth it.
      > > Regards
      > > Graham
      >
      > Graham I was in contact with DGR Designs yesterday. They quoted a
      > total cost of £176.50 + £10 carriage (£186.50 with no vat applicable).
      > I got the impression that that was shipping from Yorkshire to Co.
      > Durham so they would be responsible for any import costs and have
      > built them into their price. Thanks for pointing the above out - I
      > would check that this was not the case before placing any order. I'll
      > probably wait anyway now to see what spec and cost Lester comes up
      > with.
      >
      > Colin
      > --
      > www.reedx.net
      > skype: colin.reed

      Colin,
      my comment applied only to purchasing from suppliers outside the EEC
      and of course I had in mind the USA. I rang HM Customs to check the
      import duty on a desk top mill (Taig) and was given the 2.7% figure. I
      calculated that I would have made a considerable saving on importing a
      complete 4 axis (including Sherline rotary table) CNC converted
      machine at the current exchange rate. I was discouraged by the lack of
      response to my enquiries to the vendor and the reality that returning
      it if faulty would have been a major pita.
      Would it be worthwhile buying a variable speed router, fitting a
      pulley and mounting that in place of the supplied motor? I have an
      older Bosch router that has a standard 54mm mounting collar. I am not
      intending to use that for my Peatol as I was lucky enough to find a
      used Control Techniques Commander SE, 550w single phase (input and
      output) electronic speed controller which should drive the motor that
      Peatol fit. There must be many similar electronic speed controllers
      floating around the used market the problem is finding them.
      regards
      Graham