CNC Taig lathe

  • Vince Endter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
      The reason I converted my mill to CNC was to make it easier to
      convert my Taig lathe to CNC. The mill took about 6 months, the Taig
      lathe took two days. I got most of it done last weekend. I still
      have to add a speed sensor on the spindle. It is running on Mach 3
      software with a HobbyCNC driver board. Here is another boring video
      of the CNC taig cutting a convex shape and some rapid moves:

      http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8975430568789772373

      Higher resolution here:

      http://www.flyingcritters.com/video/cnc_taig_lathe.wmv

      Pictures here:

      http://www.flyingcritters.com/images/1taig_lathe.jpg
      http://www.flyingcritters.com/images/2x_axis.jpg
      http://www.flyingcritters.com/images/3z_axis.jpg
      http://www.flyingcritters.com/images/4tool_post.jpg
      http://www.flyingcritters.com/images/5back.jpg

      Once I get the AMP round connectors I ordered, I will mount the
      driver board to the rear of the divider. As it is I have to be very
      careful to keep the chips off of it.

      Vince
    • Steve Blackmore
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
        On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 05:16:10 -0000, you wrote:

        >The reason I converted my mill to CNC was to make it easier to
        >convert my Taig lathe to CNC. The mill took about 6 months, the Taig
        >lathe took two days. I got most of it done last weekend. I still
        >have to add a speed sensor on the spindle. It is running on Mach 3
        >software with a HobbyCNC driver board. Here is another boring video
        >of the CNC taig cutting a convex shape and some rapid moves:

        Hi Vince, just a suggestion for your stepper motor mountings, replace
        the 4 rods with two block of Al. There is no torsional rigidity just
        using rods and the mount will flex around, it may not cause a problem in
        a low power system, but it also has the advantage of protecting the
        coupling and bearings from swarf/coolant, particularly if you fit some
        thin sheet covers on the sides ;)

        Steve Blackmore
        --
      • CrazyDudeII
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007
          Hello. Your conversion looks great! I always wondered if it would be
          "OK" to do a CNC conversion to the Taig lathe just adding a screw to
          the front. I guess the torque on the carriage isn't too bad?
          I have been considering getting a little lathe, and I was thinking
          about a Sherline considering the on-center drive is already there.

          Is that normal threaded rod? ACME thread? Ballscrew? I'd be curious to
          know where you got it too.

          Thanks,
          Andrew