CNC Taig lathe
- View SourceThe reason I converted my mill to CNC was to make it easier to
convert my Taig lathe to CNC. The mill took about 6 months, the Taig
lathe took two days. I got most of it done last weekend. I still
have to add a speed sensor on the spindle. It is running on Mach 3
software with a HobbyCNC driver board. Here is another boring video
of the CNC taig cutting a convex shape and some rapid moves:
Higher resolution here:
Once I get the AMP round connectors I ordered, I will mount the
driver board to the rear of the divider. As it is I have to be very
careful to keep the chips off of it.
- View SourceOn Sat, 06 Jan 2007 05:16:10 -0000, you wrote:
>The reason I converted my mill to CNC was to make it easier toHi Vince, just a suggestion for your stepper motor mountings, replace
>convert my Taig lathe to CNC. The mill took about 6 months, the Taig
>lathe took two days. I got most of it done last weekend. I still
>have to add a speed sensor on the spindle. It is running on Mach 3
>software with a HobbyCNC driver board. Here is another boring video
>of the CNC taig cutting a convex shape and some rapid moves:
the 4 rods with two block of Al. There is no torsional rigidity just
using rods and the mount will flex around, it may not cause a problem in
a low power system, but it also has the advantage of protecting the
coupling and bearings from swarf/coolant, particularly if you fit some
thin sheet covers on the sides ;)
- View SourceHello. Your conversion looks great! I always wondered if it would be
"OK" to do a CNC conversion to the Taig lathe just adding a screw to
the front. I guess the torque on the carriage isn't too bad?
I have been considering getting a little lathe, and I was thinking
about a Sherline considering the on-center drive is already there.
Is that normal threaded rod? ACME thread? Ballscrew? I'd be curious to
know where you got it too.
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, rab@... wrote:
> I'm assembling a CNC control for my new Taig lathe, only X and Y so
> far, and very, very rough. Basically 2 steppers bolted to a piece of
> Perspex, which in turn is glued to the carriage. Transmission is via
> 2.5mm pitch by 10mm wide timing belts and pulleys ( pulleys glued to
> handwheels ) I'll redo it properly with some aluminium plate, etc.
> once I'm sure about the layout. I'm sure I'll have some purists
> laughing, but so far it works !
> Steppers are driven from Alzanti PVP134's ( very low cost unipolar )
> of which I have 4, all ready for the rotary axis ( and possibly one
> day a tool orientation axis.)
> I'm planning on using a Delrin worm wheel and pulley for the rotary
> axis, but am prepared to replace it with phosphor bronze if it's not
> up to the job.
> By the way, what is the shaft size on a size 23 stepper as I think
> I'll need to get a reamer to get nice fit on the pulleys.
> I'll try to upload a picture to the files section.