Re: [taigtools] Re: 4th Axis quick on ebay

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
      At 07:56 05/12/2006, you wrote:
      >Nice work. From the looks of it should not be hard to incorporate a
      >bearing for the worm shaft.

      No - wouldn't be too hard. However, the critical bearing is the one
      at the far end of the wormshaft - you can get away with using the one
      at the front of the motor as long as you back it up with an opposing
      thrust bearing at the far end of the worm. So you need an arm/bearing
      support extending out from the plate to the end of the worm.
      Alternatively, if you have double shafted motors you could be sneaky
      and fit a thrust bearing at the back of the motor.

      However, for the sake of the motor bearings (which aren't really
      designed to take heavy loads), supporting the free end of the worm is
      preferable, and ideally, completely decouple the worm from the motor
      (via an Oldham coupling for example) and use a pair of opposed thrust bearings.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
        At 04:06 05/12/2006, you wrote:
        >You are right. This design will move on heavy cuts, however I have had
        >very good results with this setup and it could be a starting point for
        >someone out there. I haven't made any cuts heavy enough yet for it to
        >be a problem.
        >There is more about this setup on my website
        >microtools.ca
        >I like my new 4th axis enough that I had a few plates water cut and
        >cast some zamak worm wheels.
        >Nope not "proper" but I'm having fun with it.:)
        >Thanks, Mark

        You will be OK with small diameters and/or light cuts. Where I found
        out about the problem was cutting a clock gear around 3" diam - even
        light pressure at that diam can move the motor shaft die to the
        mechanical advantage.

      • frank
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
          Hi All

          A while back I uploaded franks 4th axis in the photo section.
          And added another photo showing the worm captured between 2 bushings.
          This setup works well except I used a plastic worm and worm wheel and
          is still not rigid enough for my likeing I notice flexing were the
          gears mesh.
          This is a similar configuration shown on ebay but with a plate. I tried
          this not using his kit but similar on my own and found that it will
          work but it is just not rigid enough to with stand cutter forces. I am
          wondering were he got the worm and worm wheel and if there metal and
          had to be bored to fit on the spindle shaft.

          Thanks
          Frank

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "nattyone960" <nattyone960@...> wrote:

          > This is an interesting kit.
          > Don't know if it was mentioned anywhere else.
          > I have no connection to the seller.
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/ykcfbt
          >
          > or
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/4th-axis-kit-for-Taig-milling-

          machine_W0QQitemZ270063757522QQihZ017QQcategoryZ12584QQssPageNameZWDVWQQ