20 lb Sine Vise on Taig?

  • Sebastien Bailard
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
      I'm doing some shopping online, and I'm thinking of getting a 3" Toolmakers
      vise.

      There's a 3" Wide TTC brand Toolmakers's vise for $83.16,
      M61-410-200
      or a 3" Wide Phase II brand Precision Sine Vise for $131.25
      M57-109-050
      Travers.com - sale brochure

      The sine vise weighs 20 lbs, but I can already seen an application for it. Is
      this sensible to use on a taig?

      (I'll probably have to get some more hefty steppers from ballendo to move the
      table around.)

      Also, I'm looking to get some bits for cutting jewelry waxes and pcb
      milling/engraving. What size and shape bits do people end up using the most,
      and what suppliers do people recommend for these small cutting bits?

      Thanks,
      -Sebastien
    • Jason
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
        Is this vice being used for the jewelry?

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Sebastien Bailard <penguin@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm doing some shopping online, and I'm thinking of getting a 3"
        Toolmakers
        > vise.
        >
        > There's a 3" Wide TTC brand Toolmakers's vise for $83.16,
        > M61-410-200
        > or a 3" Wide Phase II brand Precision Sine Vise for $131.25
        > M57-109-050
        > Travers.com - sale brochure
        >
        > The sine vise weighs 20 lbs, but I can already seen an application
        for it. Is
        > this sensible to use on a taig?
        >
        > (I'll probably have to get some more hefty steppers from ballendo
        to move the
        > table around.)
        >
        > Also, I'm looking to get some bits for cutting jewelry waxes and
        pcb
        > milling/engraving. What size and shape bits do people end up
        using the most,
        > and what suppliers do people recommend for these small cutting
        bits?

        > Thanks,
        > -Sebastien

      • Jason
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
          I got my millers from travers. They seemed very reasonable for
          double ended mills.

          I have HSS. I am cutting mostly wax, pewter, and the ocassional
          brass, silver or aluminum. Rare ocassion steel. So the HSS works for
          me.

          Ball mills for 3-D contouring such as on complex 3-D surfaces on
          jewelry. thats what I am goong to be using anyways for the types of
          forms I am going to be creating.

          Cant comment on the PCB

          wrote:

          > I'm doing some shopping online, and I'm thinking of getting a 3"
          Toolmakers
          > vise.
          >
          > There's a 3" Wide TTC brand Toolmakers's vise for $83.16,
          > M61-410-200
          > or a 3" Wide Phase II brand Precision Sine Vise for $131.25
          > M57-109-050
          > Travers.com - sale brochure
          >
          > The sine vise weighs 20 lbs, but I can already seen an application
          for it. Is
          > this sensible to use on a taig?
          >
          > (I'll probably have to get some more hefty steppers from ballendo
          to move the
          > table around.)
          >
          > Also, I'm looking to get some bits for cutting jewelry waxes and
          pcb
          > milling/engraving. What size and shape bits do people end up
          using the most,
          > and what suppliers do people recommend for these small cutting
          bits?

          > Thanks,
          > -Sebastien

        • Sebastien Bailard
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
            Jewelry and other things. I realize it's overkill for just jewelry, but I'm
            concerned it might be too much mass for my mill.

            -Sebastien

            On Friday 01 December 2006 12:09, Jason wrote:
            > Is this vice being used for the jewelry?
            >
            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Sebastien Bailard <penguin@...>
            >
            > wrote:
            > > I'm doing some shopping online, and I'm thinking of getting a 3"
            >
            > Toolmakers
            >
            > > vise.
            > >
            > > There's a 3" Wide TTC brand Toolmakers's vise for $83.16,
            > > M61-410-200
            > > or a 3" Wide Phase II brand Precision Sine Vise for $131.25
            > > M57-109-050
            > > Travers.com - sale brochure
            > >
            > > The sine vise weighs 20 lbs, but I can already seen an application
            >
            > for it. Is
            >
            > > this sensible to use on a taig?
            > >
            > > (I'll probably have to get some more hefty steppers from ballendo
            >
            > to move the
            >
            > > table around.)
            > >
            > > Also, I'm looking to get some bits for cutting jewelry waxes and
            >
            > pcb
            >
            > > milling/engraving. What size and shape bits do people end up
            >
            > using the most,
            >
            > > and what suppliers do people recommend for these small cutting
            >
            > bits?
            >
            > > Thanks,
            > > -Sebastien
          • Sebastien Bailard
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
              On Friday 01 December 2006 12:17, Jason wrote:
              > I got my millers from travers. They seemed very reasonable for
              > double ended mills.
              >
              > I have HSS. I am cutting mostly wax, pewter, and the ocassional
              > brass, silver or aluminum. Rare ocassion steel. So the HSS works for
              > me.
              >
              > Ball mills for 3-D contouring such as on complex 3-D surfaces on
              > jewelry. thats what I am goong to be using anyways for the types of
              > forms I am going to be creating.
              >
              > Cant comment on the PCB

              I'm not sure what size ball mills to get for the small 3-D jewelry waxes.

              For the waxes, I'll just get a couple 2-flute 1/8", 1/16", and 1/32" double
              ended hss ball mills, and work from there.

              For general fabrication, the "New Ballnose Carbide Endmills", at the bottom of
              http://computersculpture.com/Pages/Index_Milling.html
              look tempting. They have a 12-piece assortment for $100.

              -Sebastien

              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Sebastien Bailard <penguin@...>
              >
              > wrote:
              > > I'm doing some shopping online, and I'm thinking of getting a 3"
              >
              > Toolmakers
              >
              > > vise.
              > >
              > > There's a 3" Wide TTC brand Toolmakers's vise for $83.16,
              > > M61-410-200
              > > or a 3" Wide Phase II brand Precision Sine Vise for $131.25
              > > M57-109-050
              > > Travers.com - sale brochure
              > >
              > > The sine vise weighs 20 lbs, but I can already seen an application
              >
              > for it. Is
              >
              > > this sensible to use on a taig?
              > >
              > > (I'll probably have to get some more hefty steppers from ballendo
              >
              > to move the
              >
              > > table around.)
              > >
              > > Also, I'm looking to get some bits for cutting jewelry waxes and
              >
              > pcb
              >
              > > milling/engraving. What size and shape bits do people end up
              >
              > using the most,
              >
              > > and what suppliers do people recommend for these small cutting
              >
              > bits?
              >
              > > Thanks,
              > > -Sebastien
            • Jason
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
                Those sizes seem a good start. They seem to be mostly what I use.
                Carbide will be good for cutting harder materials.

                wrote:

                > On Friday 01 December 2006 12:17, Jason wrote:
                > > I got my millers from travers. They seemed very reasonable for
                > > double ended mills.
                > >
                > > I have HSS. I am cutting mostly wax, pewter, and the ocassional
                > > brass, silver or aluminum. Rare ocassion steel. So the HSS works
                for
                > > me.
                > >
                > > Ball mills for 3-D contouring such as on complex 3-D surfaces on
                > > jewelry. thats what I am goong to be using anyways for the types
                of
                > > forms I am going to be creating.
                > >
                > > Cant comment on the PCB
                > >
                > I'm not sure what size ball mills to get for the small 3-D jewelry
                waxes.

                > For the waxes, I'll just get a couple 2-flute 1/8", 1/16", and
                1/32" double
                > ended hss ball mills, and work from there.
                >
                > For general fabrication, the "New Ballnose Carbide Endmills", at
                the bottom of
                > http://computersculpture.com/Pages/Index_Milling.html
                > look tempting. They have a 12-piece assortment for $100.
                >
                > -Sebastien
                >
                > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Sebastien Bailard <penguin@>
                > >
                > > wrote:
                > > > I'm doing some shopping online, and I'm thinking of getting a
                3"

                > > Toolmakers
                > >
                > > > vise.
                > > >
                > > > There's a 3" Wide TTC brand Toolmakers's vise for $83.16,
                > > > M61-410-200
                > > > or a 3" Wide Phase II brand Precision Sine Vise for $131.25
                > > > M57-109-050
                > > > Travers.com - sale brochure
                > > >
                > > > The sine vise weighs 20 lbs, but I can already seen an
                application

                > > for it. Is
                > >
                > > > this sensible to use on a taig?
                > > >
                > > > (I'll probably have to get some more hefty steppers from
                ballendo

                > > to move the
                > >
                > > > table around.)
                > > >
                > > > Also, I'm looking to get some bits for cutting jewelry waxes
                and

                > > pcb
                > >
                > > > milling/engraving. What size and shape bits do people end up
                > >
                > > using the most,
                > >
                > > > and what suppliers do people recommend for these small cutting
                > >
                > > bits?
                > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > -Sebastien

              • nattyone960
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Sebastien Bailard <penguin@...> wrote:

                  > Also, I'm looking to get some bits for cutting jewelry waxes and pcb
                  > milling/engraving. What size and shape bits do people end up using
                  the most,
                  > and what suppliers do people recommend for these small cutting bits?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > -Sebastien

                  Are you cutting to metal or wax/plastic/what material?
                  A few members make their own bits. I buy mine off ebay or

                  http://www.2linc.com/
                  You can get similar engraving bits they sell on ebay from China but you
                  have to be prepared to wait at least a couple of weeks.

                  In the past I have used a home built vacuum table, but I scrapped that
                  because of the noise, unsatisfactory holding power and needs for pumps.
                  I use a combination of step blocks and 2-sided paper tape.

                  Recent I have thought about using an adaptation of a toolmakers vise or
                  a linear motor attached to my mill vise to get the optimum holding
                  power.
                  Low and behold there is an example on ebay but the bidding is up more
                  than I would like it seeing that I have enough motors and can buy a
                  small vise with a screw cheaper.