Re: Join Simon's Ugly Wrench Contest!

  • Simon Sayez
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 27, 2000
      Hi Jim,

      That's it! I knew I had seen your handle clamp somewhere, & I have
      the photo in my Taig "neat stuff to build directory", but I hadn't a
      clue as to where I ran across it.

      You have a very good website & it has helped me out with a few
      things in the past.

      Thanks for the url,

      Simon

      --- In taigtools@egroups.com, James Eckman <fugu@w...> wrote:
      > > From: "Simon Sayez" <simonsyz@e...>
      > >
      > > I did run across someone's web site where they had made a
      pulley
      > > clamp & handle arrangment. Maybe when I get the time . . .
      >
      > http://www.gst.net/~fugu/tools.JPG
      >
      > I use it far more for tapping than removing stuck chucks. It's
      probably
      > a 2-3 hour project by the time you find all the materials.
      >
      > Jim Eckman
    • Lewis Balentine
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2000
        Still here and checking the messages,
        but my boss insists that I get some work done
        in order to cover the costs of my hobbies (as
        well as other things like eating, etc).
        Darned inconvientent to work for a living.

        To be honest I have also wasted some time looking
        for a tall blond (human) that could support me
        in a manner I wish to become acustomed to.
        Usual lack of interest on their part ... :=>

        cheers,

        Lewis
      • Alexander Newman
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2000
          Hi there,

          Have I been forcibly removed from the Taig list for inane comments, or
          is the Taig eGroup or one (or more) of its hop points broken?

          Please reply to my own email address, not the list.

          Regards,

          Alex Newman

          Alexander Newman
          PhD student, Department of Biological Sciences
          Division of Life and Earth Sciences
          Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
        • Tom Benedict
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2000
            On Tue, 2 May 2000, Alexander Newman wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > Have I been forcibly removed from the Taig list for inane comments, or
            > is the Taig eGroup or one (or more) of its hop points broken?
            >
            > Please reply to my own email address, not the list.

            Sorry, replied to both.

            I think the list has just been quiet lately. I don't think I've seen any
            traffic on it all day, and not for some time before that (Saturday,
            maybe?)

            > Alex Newman
            >

            > Alexander Newman
            > PhD student, Department of Biological Sciences
            > Division of Life and Earth Sciences
            > Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia

          • wayne reimer
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2000
              Hi Alex,

              If you have, so have I. I think it's just been a bit of a slow time, for
              whatever reason

              wayne

              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2000
                Hi Alex,

                Sorry, it appears that my Ugly Wrench Contest killed off the group.

                I'll be quite now! :-)

                Simon

                --- In taigtools@egroups.com, "Alexander Newman" <anewman@o...>

                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2000
                  On Tue, 02 May 2000 02:15:23 -0000, Simon Sayez wrote:

                  > Hi Alex,
                  >
                  > Sorry, it appears that my Ugly Wrench Contest killed off the group.
                  >
                  > I'll be quite now! :-)

                  Nah! Maybe my plate 'wrench' bored people silly ;).

                  Btw, if anyone *does* want the CAD drawings for my DTI toolpost holder:
                  it'll be a while, I'm still learning to use my CAD program!

                  Cheers,

                  Alex.
                • Alexander Newman

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2000
                      On Tue, 2 May 2000, Simon Sayez wrote:

                      > Hi Alex,
                      >
                      > Sorry, it appears that my Ugly Wrench Contest killed off the group.
                      >
                      > I'll be quite now! :-)
                      >
                      > Simon

                      Heh. ;) I recently took pictures of my setup at home to give to Nick. I
                      neglected to take a picture of my oogly wrench, though. I think I've seen
                      the winner, and it's not me. ;)

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2000
                        On Tue, 2 May 2000, Alexander Newman wrote:

                        > On Tue, 02 May 2000 02:15:23 -0000, Simon Sayez wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi Alex,
                        > >
                        > > Sorry, it appears that my Ugly Wrench Contest killed off the group.
                        > >
                        > > I'll be quite now! :-)
                        >
                        > Nah! Maybe my plate 'wrench' bored people silly ;).
                        >
                        > Btw, if anyone *does* want the CAD drawings for my DTI toolpost holder:
                        > it'll be a while, I'm still learning to use my CAD program!

                        DTI toolpost holder?

                        I must've missed an earlier message. Whazzat?

                        Tom
                      • Alexander Newman
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 4, 2000
                          On Wed, 3 May 2000 08:29:02 -0500 (CDT), Tom Benedict wrote:

                          > DTI toolpost holder?
                          >
                          > I must've missed an earlier message. Whazzat?

                          An articulated arm for mounting my dial test indicator
                          (securely) on the crosslide toolpost - so that I can finally
                          (!) begin to get my Taig proerly aligned.

                          Cheers,

                          Alex.
                        • Tom Benedict
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 4, 2000
                            On Thu, 4 May 2000, Alexander Newman wrote:

                            > On Wed, 3 May 2000 08:29:02 -0500 (CDT), Tom Benedict wrote:
                            >
                            > > DTI toolpost holder?
                            > >
                            > > I must've missed an earlier message. Whazzat?

                            DOH! DTI = Dial Test Indicator. Man, I must've been way under-quota on
                            coffee when I asked that question...

                            > An articulated arm for mounting my dial test indicator
                            > (securely) on the crosslide toolpost - so that I can finally
                            > (!) begin to get my Taig proerly aligned.

                            Makes perfect sense.

                            My Starrett Last Word indicator came with an articulated arm, but more
                            often than not I clamp the bar (1/4" thick) in the toolpost and just
                            indicate away. The ball-joint gives me enough flexibility to get away
                            with most of what I do.

                            Before I found the Starrett (it looks like it's about a year old, in
                            perfect scratchless condition, and I picked it up at a pawn shop for $29
                            US), I got a Mitutoyo DTI on Ebay for not much more. I've never used it,
                            though.

                            I saw that the Home Metal Shop Club in Houston has a set of plans on their
                            website for a Zero-It style DTI holder for a vertical mill.

                            http://web.wt.net/~hmsc/indhold/hldr1.htm

                            Has anyone made one of these? I'm looking at getting a Taig CNC mill in
                            the next few months, and wouldn't mind making some tools for it before it
                            arrives. Plus, that would give the Mitutoyo DTI a permanent home other
                            than the back of my toolbox.