Re: Help with boring using an end mill

  • campgems
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
      I guess I was thinking of a typical bearing mount with a lip to
      prevent the bearing from pushing all the way through.

      Your approach for full bore though deserves some though on my part.
      Always a new, at least to me, way to do things. Thats the great
      thing about this list.

      Don
      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <phrh@...> wrote:

      > No not a reamer! I often use a small tap as a boring bar. Just
      > position it so that one of the cutting edges is centered to match
      the
      > lathe centers and use it like a boring tool. The tap teeth on one
      row
      > work like a boring tool with lots of cutting teeth. Mount one in
      your
      > tool holder and take a look and it should be obvious. Great for
      very
      > small holes. Richard
      >

      > - In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "campgems" <Don@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Did you mean Reamer???? :>)
      > >
      > > Don
      > >
      > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <phrh@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Use a tap properly positioned. Richard

      > > of
      > > > don't

    • Rich Crook
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11, 2006
        Hmm. This has got me thinking - I wonder if one could use a tap as a
        sort of roughing mill?
        When taps get dull, it's on the tapered end - the teeth further up
        should still be sharp, so-ooo...
        Why not grind off the (dull) tapered end & get more life out of it as
        a roughing mill?
        Ok, so it won't do plunge cuts, but that's generally not what
        roughing mills are for, anyway.
        Chip clearing & noise/vibration might be a problem with a
        straight-flute tap, but a spiral flute should work pretty well.
        Any adventurous types ever tried this?
        (Just an idea.)

        = Rich =