Re: can anyone help Identify a stepper motor?

  • Phil Jaster
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001

      <snipped>

      If you have a voltmeter to hand, a more conclusive test is to spin the
      rotor & work out how many pairs of wires carry a generated voltage. A
      conventional DC motor should only generate an output on a single pair.

      :::::> Well, as a matter of fact as I was thinking [dangerous
      concept!] about this I finally went ~duhhh... PM magnet motor =
      generator, so I put my voltmeter onto the two "DC poles" and whaddya
      know!! I had voltage output! I did not think to try the ribbon cable
      from the ? encoder ? as I still am leary of hurting the darn thing! I
      mean I have so much money involved into it <zero> but I know it would
      cost more than a hoot and a holler <about what I can afford to pay for
      it...>

      A stepper with a PM rotor will generate an output on 2 or more pairs
      of wires, depending on whether it is bipolar or unipolar wound
      (4 wires for bipolar, 6 wires for unipolar, 8 wires can generally be
      used either bipolar or unipolar).

      ::::> So if I understand this correctly, ~maybe the ten wire ribbon
      cable ~~might also be feeding to the "DC poles"???? That would be easy
      to check out... I gues I will ned to find a very small metal object to
      insert into the ribbons plug.... uhhhhh a paperclip comes to mind!!!!

      Thanks for everyones help on this... I will now pull out my spare
      5/12V power supply from a ancient 286 computer I tore apart!!!! and
      power up!!!!

      Phil