Re: [taigtools] Soundproof Enclosure for Taig

  • Greg McFadden
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
      you might try flood cooling. When I was cutting aluminum properly at
      the right speeds and feeds for it and flood cooling there wasonly a
      very small difference in noise between cutting air and cutting
      aluminum

      On 6/12/06, davidjaypark <davidj93@...> wrote:
      > Hey all,
      >
      > I am completely new to the CNC world, but purchased my first small
      > taig CNC milling machine the other day to make small prototypes.
      > Definitely have a lot to learn and am excited about putting the system
      > together, but was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase a
      > small sound proof enclosure for the Mill. Will be using it in garage
      > but would like something to cover it not only to protect anyone from
      > scraps that might fly, but also to reduce the noise so I don't bother
      > others. Have seen a couple of demo's and when the mill machines
      > aluminum it makes a lot of noise. Anyways any thoughts or direction
      > would be extremely appreciated. Probably could mill my own encloser,
      > but at this point am so new, would rather purchased something that I
      > know would reduce the noise and possiblity of bothering
      > family/friends/neighbors, than trying to build one myself. Regardless,
      > hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you soon!
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Dave

    • Mark Zirinsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
        I had the same concern at first, but the tjing is so quiet that you
        probably won't need an enclosure. go build your prototype, then worry
        later about the enclosure, if you decide you need it.

        regards

        Mark Z, Denver

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
          At 19:47 12/06/2006, you wrote:
          >Hey all,
          >
          >I am completely new to the CNC world, but purchased my first small
          >taig CNC milling machine the other day to make small prototypes.
          >Definitely have a lot to learn and am excited about putting the system
          >together, but was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase a
          >small sound proof enclosure for the Mill. Will be using it in garage
          >but would like something to cover it not only to protect anyone from
          >scraps that might fly, but also to reduce the noise so I don't bother
          >others. Have seen a couple of demo's and when the mill machines
          >aluminum it makes a lot of noise. Anyways any thoughts or direction
          >would be extremely appreciated. Probably could mill my own encloser,
          >but at this point am so new, would rather purchased something that I
          >know would reduce the noise and possiblity of bothering
          >family/friends/neighbors, than trying to build one myself. Regardless,
          >hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you soon!

          I suspect that you would need a bigger mill if you wanted to mill an
          enclosure for the Taig ;-)

          That apart, there is a UK company that makes enclosures - fairly
          straightforward sheet steel and acrylic jobs. My guess is that if you
          applied sound deadening panels like the ones used in automobiles (basically
          felt soaked in bitumen) to the inside of a sheet metal enclosure this would
          help a lot. You might even find a sound deadening hood from an old dot
          matrix printer that no-one wants anymore.

          One change that I have just made to my mill is to switch over to using a
          microstepping stepper drive system instead of the half-stepping controller
          that Taig supplies; the reduction in noise from the steppers is considerable.