Re: [taigtools] Re: Spacers?

  • Rich Crook
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30 10:32 AM
      You could always have somebody make one for you - for a price, of course.
      The only critical part would be getting the faces exactly parallel.

      I'd offer to do it, but the shipping from the U.S. to Australia would
      be prohibitively expensive.
      (I run a large, very precise conversational CNC lathe at work, and
      have access to scrap ends of H11 tool steel.)

      = Rich =

    • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2006
        I've done it on mine (older style Z ways, though.) I don't look at it as
        a permanent deal, kinda like the headstock spacer on the lathe. If I need
        the height, I'll shift and re-tram. If I need to machine on the table,
        I'll shift back down and re-tram.

        One other spacer worth mentioning is one between the Y axis motor mount
        and the base. The leadscrew in Y is longer than it needs to be, and you
        can buy almost an inch (or a little over an inch) this way. I don't leave
        it on as a general rule, but it's got a spot in my toolbox.

        The column spacer sounds interesting. It seems like no matter how you
        work this rigidity would suffer (same way it does with the headstock
        spacer.) Getting the faces parallel isn't bad if there's a shop in town
        with a surface grinder. But drill the through hole first!

        I'd be very very curious to hear how this works out. There's a surface
        grinder at work, so I may be able to get a little instruction on it and a
        column spacer to boot.

        Tom