Re: [taigtools] Re: Spacers?

  • Rich Crook
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2006
      If you need just a little more extension than the tail stock spacer
      provides, just add a shim plate behind the dovetail plate on the Z
      axis saddle. Finding (or making) a small plate with parallel faces
      is a lot easier than making a column spacer "donut", and won't lose
      as much rigidity as a second tail stock spacer. Be sure to replace
      the dovetail plate bolts with longer ones to allow for the added thickness.

      = Rich =

      >By the way, Russ, this is on top of the mod I copied from you about 18
      >months ago. That works well, but the defining measurement is between
      >the column and the spindle and as usual I want just a touch more than
      >the tailstock riser can supply. I dismissed making a custom tailstock
      >riser in a larger size as being beyond my current machining abilities.
      >I have considered using two. I know rigidity will suffer no matter how
      >I get the extra space, but is two risers any different or less rigid
      >than one riser and a spacer in the column/table joint?
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >Chris
    • Rich Crook
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2006
        You could always have somebody make one for you - for a price, of course.
        The only critical part would be getting the faces exactly parallel.

        I'd offer to do it, but the shipping from the U.S. to Australia would
        be prohibitively expensive.
        (I run a large, very precise conversational CNC lathe at work, and
        have access to scrap ends of H11 tool steel.)

        = Rich =

      • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1 11:59 AM
          I've done it on mine (older style Z ways, though.) I don't look at it as
          a permanent deal, kinda like the headstock spacer on the lathe. If I need
          the height, I'll shift and re-tram. If I need to machine on the table,
          I'll shift back down and re-tram.

          One other spacer worth mentioning is one between the Y axis motor mount
          and the base. The leadscrew in Y is longer than it needs to be, and you
          can buy almost an inch (or a little over an inch) this way. I don't leave
          it on as a general rule, but it's got a spot in my toolbox.

          The column spacer sounds interesting. It seems like no matter how you
          work this rigidity would suffer (same way it does with the headstock
          spacer.) Getting the faces parallel isn't bad if there's a shop in town
          with a surface grinder. But drill the through hole first!

          I'd be very very curious to hear how this works out. There's a surface
          grinder at work, so I may be able to get a little instruction on it and a
          column spacer to boot.

          Tom