Re: Chatter or something during roughing....

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2006
      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "James Holbrook" <jdholbrook33@...>
      wrote:

      > My mill had been going along great until I purchased a 3/16 end mill
      > made for aluminum. The flutes are a higher pitch and it's coated
      wtih
      > TiLN (or something like that).
      > Anyway.. The first time I used it my mill made terrible sounds and
      the
      > finish was horrid.
      > I figured the mill was not going to work in the Taig so didn't think
      > much of it until about two weeks later when I got ready to cut some
      > steel parts and noticed that when I was plunging into the metal I
      > would get a similiar sound as the AL mill.
      > Long story short... I went completely thru the mill and found the Z
      > axis was loose. I tightened it up that it just starts to move easy
      by
      > hand wheel, the noises went away and the nice surface finish is
      back.

      > Just a thought.
      >
      > James

      I'm game for anything - as soon as this piece is finished cutting
      I'll look at the Z axis. I wish these darned things came with a
      user's manual :-(
      I will be flying blind trying to adjust it...

      Mark
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2006
        Sounds like the bearings are going, unfortunately...
        If you turn the spindle by hand does it feel rough, or "clicky", or not
        smooth?
        How many hours of runtime? Mostly running at high Rpms?

        --
        felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
        homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2006
          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice
          Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like the bearings are going, unfortunately...
          > If you turn the spindle by hand does it feel rough, or "clicky", or
          not
          > smooth?
          > How many hours of runtime? Mostly running at high Rpms?

          Hi Nick,

          Well, I think you're right. I've just shut it down and took off the
          belt and if I hold the pulley and sort of rapidly turn it back and
          forth, I can hear tiny rattling sounds inside of the headstock.
          I run it at 6,700 all the time. It probably has 50 hours of runtime
          on it, give or take a little...

          What's the life expectancy of one of these? What are my options at
          this point?

          Thanks,
          Mark
        • Jeff Demand
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2006
            With both CncPro and TurboCnc (I uses both) there is a option of stepping
            on either the rising or falling of the step pulse. Having a miss match
            between different axis has caused me grief in the past when using a
            different controllers for a 4th axis.
            Check your BIOS (re-boot and press del when prompted) Make sure that "
            Legacy USB support" is OFF. This little wierdness is why I bought TurboCnc
            for my second mill (a very very good program), CncPro just would not work
            until I disabled the legacy stuff. Sometimes a failing CMOS battery will
            cause a return to default settings.

            Jeff