Re: Maintenance

  • frank
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi
      I think you missed the page on lube.
      In the Taig CNC mill manual look on page 987.
      I have used vactra #2 way oil that works great if you don't use
      coolant as it gets washed off the ways so I switched to that red
      wheel bearing grease that I use now that works fine it sticks to the
      ways and spreads like baby oil plus you don't have to constantly
      apply it like you do with oils.
      An advantage to using grease is that if you don't use the machine
      that often it protects from rusting.
      Thanks
      Frank

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Greg McFadden" <greg.mcfadden@...>
      wrote:

      > I've found that mine seems to like the parafin impregnated light
      oils
      > rather well (although with flood cooling there is always lube
      > everywhere now.... although the parafin stuff tends to stick
      around a
      > bit.
      >
      > -Greg
      >
      > On 3/31/06, Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein <felice@...>
      wrote:
      > > You don't really want to use grease (although some people do like
      it)
      > > best is to use way oil, but Taig recommends ATF (automatic
      transmission
      > > fluid). Basically when the slides seem dry, lube them and the
      screw. If
      > > you want to use grease use very light lithium grease.
      > > The bearings in the spindle are sealed and will work until they
      don't...

      > > infoatcs wrote:
      > > > mill :)

      > > > the

      > > > I read through the replies to this and there is some info on
      setup
      > > > but I could not find the answer to his questions. I am trying
      > > > setup a regular maintenance schedule and would like to know what
      > > > others do.
      > > >
      > > > How often do you grease and what grease do you use?
      > > > The other night I was looking at my spindle. I have never done
      > > > anything to it. Should I drop a bit of oil in there?
      > > >
      > > > Does Taig have a hidden area on the main page for this?
      > > >
      > > > If the answer is already out there please direct me to it.
      > > >
      > > > Thank you
      > > > Mark

      > > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: taigtools-
      unsubscribe@...

      > > > Let the chips fly!
      > > >
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > > --
      > > felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
      > > homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James Holbrook
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 1, 2006
        If you're using flood cooling.. DON'T use that Super Lube spray wtih
        Teflon.
        I tried it and what a slimey, gooey mess when the coolant hit it.
        Had to shut down and clean the whole thing with WD-40 then re-lube it
        with regular oil again.

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "combelis" <asi@...> wrote:

        > I read al the 1276 pages in the manual Taig sent with the my new mill :)
        > and I couldn't find instructions about maintenancing.
        >
        > a. How offten should I grease ?
        > b. what happens when swarf fly to the leadscrew of the Z axis or the
        > bearing surfaces ?
        >
        > Merry Christmas
        >
        > Asi

      • Rich Crook
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 1, 2006
          >You don't really want to use grease (although some people do like it)
          >best is to use way oil, but Taig recommends ATF (automatic transmission
          >fluid). Basically when the slides seem dry, lube them and the screw. If
          >you want to use grease use very light lithium grease.
          >The bearings in the spindle are sealed and will work until they don't...

          I've found that ATF tends to drip off he screws pretty readily - will
          have to try way lube & see if it stays put better.
          (How about white lithium grease on the screws, & ATF on the sliding ways?)

          = Rich =

        • eferg2001
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 1, 2006
            I use Slick 50 on my Taig Mill screws and sliding surfaces. Sticks
            and works very well. I had some already because that is what the mfg.
            of my Hardinge/OmniTurn CNC lathe recommends for their ballscrews.

            It's expensive stuff - I'd only use it on your mill if you already had
            some.

            Ed
          • Steve Blackmore
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 2, 2006
              On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:23:52 -0000, you wrote:

              >I use Slick 50 on my Taig Mill screws and sliding surfaces. Sticks
              >and works very well. I had some already because that is what the mfg.
              >of my Hardinge/OmniTurn CNC lathe recommends for their ballscrews.
              >
              >It's expensive stuff - I'd only use it on your mill if you already had
              >some.

              And I certainly wouldn't go and put it in my engine ;)

              See

              http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

              Mitsubishi expressly forbid any PTFE based additives, "clogs oil ways"
              is the given reason. (Voids warranty).

              Steve Blackmore
              --
            • combelis
              Message 6 of 29 , May 8 11:32 PM
                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice
                Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

                Hi all,

                Two Quick questions:

                a. I'm using STP ATF Dextron III oil. the oil dries real quick.It
                seems I have to lube the slides every two days. Is it normal or am
                I'm using the wrong oil?

                b. I obviously get some swarf on my lead screw. how often should I
                clean them and how?

                Thanks,
                Asi

                Message 7 of 29 , May 9 10:27 AM
                  If it dries every two days then it is the wrong oil for you...is it
                  drying or is it just not there (dried oil implies varnish on the
                  surface) anymore?
                  You could see if you can hunt up some way oil - find an industrial oil
                  supplier and they can usually order some in. Get the lightest way oil
                  you can find.

                  If you get a couple of chips on the leadscrew not a problem, a lot of
                  chips it's best to brush them off and if you have shop air, blow them
                  off very gently (if you use high pressure you will just drive chips into
                  the machine, which is bad, but if you can just float them off the
                  surface that's good)
                  Often I will spray some WD40 on the screw, brush off with a chip brush,
                  spray more, rotate the screw and keep brushing....
                  A toothbrush works well for this...

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 15 6:45 AM
                    Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

                    > If it dries every two days then it is the wrong oil for you...is it
                    > drying or is it just not there (dried oil implies varnish on the
                    > surface) anymore?
                    > You could see if you can hunt up some way oil - find an industrial
                    oil
                    > supplier and they can usually order some in. Get the lightest way
                    oil
                    > you can find.
                    >
                    > If you get a couple of chips on the leadscrew not a problem, a lot
                    of
                    > chips it's best to brush them off and if you have shop air, blow
                    them
                    > off very gently (if you use high pressure you will just drive chips
                    into
                    > the machine, which is bad, but if you can just float them off the
                    > surface that's good)
                    > Often I will spray some WD40 on the screw, brush off with a chip
                    brush,
                    > spray more, rotate the screw and keep brushing....
                    > A toothbrush works well for this...

                    Thanks Nick.

                    I just bought way oil No 68.
                    How can I tell when the Z axis or the screws are dry?
                    after a day or two a very thin layer of oil remains.
                    how much is enough?
                    how often should I oil my machine ?

                    Asi

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 15 9:14 AM
                      A thin layer is good, but generally at the beginning of a long session
                      of use it's a good idea to check the oil film and maybe add a few drops
                      to the top of the slide so it drips down.

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 15 12:11 PM
                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice
                        Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

                        Got it! thanks again Nick.

                        Back to work....

                        Asi

                        > A thin layer is good, but generally at the beginning of a long
                        session
                        > of use it's a good idea to check the oil film and maybe add a few
                        drops
                        > to the top of the slide so it drips down.
                        >
                        > combelis wrote:
                        > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice
                        > > Luftschein <felice@> wrote:
                        > >> If it dries every two days then it is the wrong oil for you...is
                        it
                        > >> drying or is it just not there (dried oil implies varnish on the
                        > >> surface) anymore?
                        > >> You could see if you can hunt up some way oil - find an
                        industrial
                        > > oil
                        > >> supplier and they can usually order some in. Get the lightest
                        way
                        > > oil
                        > >> you can find.
                        > >>
                        > >> If you get a couple of chips on the leadscrew not a problem, a
                        lot
                        > > of
                        > >> chips it's best to brush them off and if you have shop air, blow
                        > > them
                        > >> off very gently (if you use high pressure you will just drive
                        chips
                        > > into
                        > >> the machine, which is bad, but if you can just float them off
                        the
                        > >> surface that's good)
                        > >> Often I will spray some WD40 on the screw, brush off with a chip
                        > > brush,
                        > >> spray more, rotate the screw and keep brushing....
                        > >> A toothbrush works well for this...
                        > >
                        > > Thanks Nick.
                        > >
                        > > I just bought way oil No 68.
                        > > How can I tell when the Z axis or the screws are dry?
                        > > after a day or two a very thin layer of oil remains.
                        > > how much is enough?
                        > > how often should I oil my machine ?
                        > >
                        > > Asi

                        > > am

                        > > like

                        > > new

                        > > or

                        > > what

                        > >> --
                        > >> felice@ is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
                        > >> homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > --
                        > felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
                        > homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

                      • Bad Brad
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 15 1:12 PM
                          You don't want to wait til they are dry. Clean off the old lube and apply
                          new lube before and after using your equipment and wear will be minimal.

                          Also, my opinion is never use any type of forced air no matter how light the
                          pressure is. Forced air cleaning drives chips into bearings and sliding
                          sufaces.

                          I just bought way oil No 68.
                          >How can I tell when the Z axis or the screws are dry?
                          >after a day or two a very thin layer of oil remains.
                          >how much is enough?
                          >how often should I oil my machine ?

                          FBA
                        • Lam
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 16 5:55 PM
                            >Message 6
                            > From: "Bad Brad" atkinon@...
                            > Date: Mon May 15, 2006 1:12pm(PDT)
                            >Subject: Re: Maintenance
                            >
                            >You don't want to wait til they are dry. Clean off the old lube and apply
                            >new lube before and after using your equipment and wear will be minimal.
                            >
                            >Also, my opinion is never use any type of forced air no matter how light
                            >the
                            >pressure is. Forced air cleaning drives chips into bearings and sliding
                            >sufaces.

                            Yeep, Forced air will also get the chips all over the shop
                            makes more sense to vacuum the chips off

                            I don't use oil for the ways or leadscrews
                            I use a very thin layer of Moly Grease
                            ( so thin that you can't tell its there unless you brush you white shirt against it : )
                            Works well, doesn't stick swaft, and 100% protects against rust

                            The Moly Grease i am using is by Dow Conning, formulated for
                            boat trailers axel and all general purpose ....

                            Lam
                          • dkp_design
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 16 6:01 PM
                              I use a water based Flood coolant that is also a way lube and a rust
                              inhibitor. It works great. everything is coated in a light, tacky
                              oily film. But, the chips can be hard to clean up cause they get
                              tacky as well

                              > >You don't want to wait til they are dry. Clean off the old lube
                              and apply
                              > >new lube before and after using your equipment and wear will be
                              minimal.

                              > >Also, my opinion is never use any type of forced air no matter
                              how light
                              > >the
                              > >pressure is. Forced air cleaning drives chips into bearings and
                              sliding
                              > >sufaces.
                              >
                              > Yeep, Forced air will also get the chips all over the shop
                              > makes more sense to vacuum the chips off
                              >
                              > I don't use oil for the ways or leadscrews
                              > I use a very thin layer of Moly Grease
                              > ( so thin that you can't tell its there unless you brush you white
                              shirt against it : )
                              > Works well, doesn't stick swaft, and 100% protects against rust
                              >
                              > The Moly Grease i am using is by Dow Conning, formulated for
                              > boat trailers axel and all general purpose ....
                              >
                              > Lam

                            • ballendo
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 17 8:15 AM
                                Hello,

                                Sounds like the "lubricoolant" stuff Aaron mentions at his
                                industrialhobbies site...

                                What is the brand name and product that you're using?

                                Thank you in advance,

                                Ballendo

                                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dkp_design" <zippy@...> wrote:

                                > I use a water based Flood coolant that is also a way lube and a
                                rust
                                > inhibitor. It works great. everything is coated in a light,
                                tacky
                                > oily film. But, the chips can be hard to clean up cause they get
                                > tacky as well

                              • dkp_design
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 17 9:30 AM
                                  The stuff I get is caled a-10 coolube made by OSTREM CHEMICAL CO

                                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello,
                                  >
                                  > Sounds like the "lubricoolant" stuff Aaron mentions at his
                                  > industrialhobbies site...
                                  >
                                  > What is the brand name and product that you're using?
                                  >
                                  > Thank you in advance,
                                  >
                                  > Ballendo
                                  >

                                  > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dkp_design" <zippy@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I use a water based Flood coolant that is also a way lube and a
                                  > rust
                                  > > inhibitor. It works great. everything is coated in a light,
                                  > tacky
                                  > > oily film. But, the chips can be hard to clean up cause they
                                  get
                                  > > tacky as well

                                • dkp_design
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 17 9:58 AM
                                    The stuff I get is caled a-10 coolube made by OSTREM CHEMICAL CO

                                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > Sounds like the "lubricoolant" stuff Aaron mentions at his
                                    > industrialhobbies site...
                                    >
                                    > What is the brand name and product that you're using?
                                    >
                                    > Thank you in advance,
                                    >
                                    > Ballendo
                                    >

                                    > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dkp_design" <zippy@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I use a water based Flood coolant that is also a way lube and a
                                    > rust
                                    > > inhibitor. It works great. everything is coated in a light,
                                    > tacky
                                    > > oily film. But, the chips can be hard to clean up cause they
                                    get
                                    > > tacky as well

                                  • frank_abingnale
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 25, 2009
                                      Hi I've had my Taig lathe for about a year and a half and have wondered about maintenance since day one. I try to vacuum chips off the sliding surfaces on my lathe but it only seems to work when dry. Having them lubricated with oil makes the chips stick in the oil and the vacuum doesn't seem to pick them up. Using a brush isn't much better as it seems to put scratches in the surface. Maybe I should try less oil or switch to the moly grease.

                                      -Mike

                                      > >You don't want to wait til they are dry. Clean off the old lube and apply
                                      > >new lube before and after using your equipment and wear will be minimal.
                                      > >
                                      > >Also, my opinion is never use any type of forced air no matter how light
                                      > >the
                                      > >pressure is. Forced air cleaning drives chips into bearings and sliding
                                      > >sufaces.
                                      >
                                      > Yeep, Forced air will also get the chips all over the shop
                                      > makes more sense to vacuum the chips off
                                      >
                                      > I don't use oil for the ways or leadscrews
                                      > I use a very thin layer of Moly Grease
                                      > ( so thin that you can't tell its there unless you brush you white shirt against it : )
                                      > Works well, doesn't stick swaft, and 100% protects against rust
                                      >
                                      > The Moly Grease i am using is by Dow Conning, formulated for
                                      > boat trailers axel and all general purpose ....
                                      >
                                      > Lam

                                    • Dean
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 26, 2009
                                        Hi Mike;

                                        There's not really a lot to worry about, aside from keeping chips from under the carriage and out of the cross slide lead screw and dovetails. I just remove the cross slide and take the carriage off after each use, brush away the big stuff, and use a paper towel to wipe away the gunk in and on the dovetails. While the cross slide is off I use a brush to clear chips out of the lead screw channel and get them off the screw itself. Wipe off the bed, oil all dovetails and the cross slide screw, and put it back together. Takes only 5-10 minutes and the machine is nice and clean for the next days use.

                                        You might consider way wipers if you're concerned about chips under the carriage. Google John Bentley and check out his pages. He has an article about putting wipers on your Taig lathe, (not to mention lots of other beautiful stuff).

                                        Dean

                                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "frank_abingnale" <frank_abingnale@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi I've had my Taig lathe for about a year and a half and have wondered about maintenance since day one. I try to vacuum chips off the sliding surfaces on my lathe but it only seems to work when dry. Having them lubricated with oil makes the chips stick in the oil and the vacuum doesn't seem to pick them up. Using a brush isn't much better as it seems to put scratches in the surface. Maybe I should try less oil or switch to the moly grease.
                                        >
                                        > -Mike

                                      • Rick Reyes
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 26, 2009
                                          Catch you if I can huh?

                                          ________________________________
                                          Hi I've had my Taig lathe for about a year and a half and have wondered about maintenance since day one. I try to vacuum chips off the sliding surfaces on my lathe but it only seems to work when dry. Having them lubricated with oil makes the chips stick in the oil and the vacuum doesn't seem to pick them up. Using a brush isn't much better as it seems to put scratches in the surface. Maybe I should try less oil or switch to the moly grease.

                                          -Mike

                                          > >You don't want to wait til they are dry. Clean off the old lube and apply
                                          > >new lube before and after using your equipment and wear will be minimal.
                                          > >
                                          > >Also, my opinion is never use any type of forced air no matter how light
                                          > >the
                                          > >pressure is. Forced air cleaning drives chips into bearings and sliding
                                          > >sufaces.
                                          >
                                          > Yeep, Forced air will also get the chips all over the shop
                                          > makes more sense to vacuum the chips off
                                          >
                                          > I don't use oil for the ways or leadscrews
                                          > I use a very thin layer of Moly Grease
                                          > ( so thin that you can't tell its there unless you brush you white shirt against it : )
                                          > Works well, doesn't stick swaft, and 100% protects against rust
                                          >
                                          > The Moly Grease i am using is by Dow Conning, formulated for
                                          > boat trailers axel and all general purpose ....
                                          >
                                          > Lam

                                        • frank_abingnale
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 26, 2009
                                            You caught me..

                                            I was wondering if anyone would notice. Now i wish didn't put mike and see how long i could go on as Frank. I first saw that movie around the time I joined up here and it's still one of my top 3.

                                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Rick Reyes <aztaig@...> wrote:

                                            > Catch you if I can huh?
                                            >

                                            > ________________________________

                                          • frank_abingnale
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 27, 2009
                                              HI Dean,

                                              thanks for the tips. They are really helpful. I've been curious how others manage clean up. I use a similar process of brushing of the chips and oiling after use but I only occasionally remove the carriage and cross slide. I made up.. sorry through together rather an enclosure that's not too spacious and makes it time consuming to remove the carriage. Before I move on to any other projects, I want build a new enclosure.

                                              Wow, John's site is full of good articles and some beautiful work!

                                              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Dean" <deanofid@...> wrote:

                                              > Hi Mike;
                                              >
                                              > There's not really a lot to worry about, aside from keeping chips from under the carriage and out of the cross slide lead screw and dovetails. I just remove the cross slide and take the carriage off after each use, brush away the big stuff, and use a paper towel to wipe away the gunk in and on the dovetails. While the cross slide is off I use a brush to clear chips out of the lead screw channel and get them off the screw itself. Wipe off the bed, oil all dovetails and the cross slide screw, and put it back together. Takes only 5-10 minutes and the machine is nice and clean for the next days use.
                                              >
                                              > You might consider way wipers if you're concerned about chips under the carriage. Google John Bentley and check out his pages. He has an article about putting wipers on your Taig lathe, (not to mention lots of other beautiful stuff).
                                              >
                                              > Dean
                                              >
                                              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "frank_abingnale" <frank_abingnale@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hi I've had my Taig lathe for about a year and a half and have wondered about maintenance since day one. I try to vacuum chips off the sliding surfaces on my lathe but it only seems to work when dry. Having them lubricated with oil makes the chips stick in the oil and the vacuum doesn't seem to pick them up. Using a brush isn't much better as it seems to put scratches in the surface. Maybe I should try less oil or switch to the moly grease.
                                              > >
                                              > > -Mike

                                            • Jack
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 28, 2009
                                                I just bought a small Shop Vac specifically for cleaning the mill table, fixtures and lathe. It came with a crevice tool that works really well. I seldom have to disassemble anything now at the end of a job. My full size vac was too cumberson for this work, although it's great for everything else.

                                                Jack