Re: [taigtools] Re: Best G-code software for the Taig

  • Peter Homann
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi Alan,

      You will need to convert the MPS2000 to accept step/dir signals. This
      can be done with a TurboTaig board or with the Taig board.

      The installation of the TurboTaig board is very simple. If you look at
      the picture on my website, http://www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html ,
      you can see how it is mounted on top of the heatsinks inside the
      controller.

      Its a matter of drilling and tapping 4 holes, then substituting the
      ribbon cable with ones supplued with the TurboTaig.

      Have a look at the TurboTaig manual on the website.
      http://www.homanndesigns.com/Instructions-2_2.pdf

      Note if purchase the Mach3 software with the TurboTaig, you get it at a
      discounted price.

      Cheers,

      Peter.

      Alan wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I'm running mps2000 had no problems,but if Mach is better and smoother I'd
      > like to try it .
      > Do I have to modify controller box and is it simple enough to do.
      >

      > <http://189753.sigclick.mailinfo.com/sigclick/060A0805/0200450C/4B0097212739
      > .jpg>
      > Make sure YOUR emails don't get lost!
      > <http://www.mailinfo.com/web/?uid=189753> Download Mailinfo here

      > .

      Web: www.homanndesigns.com
      email: homann@...
      Phone: +61 421 601 665
      www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO.html - Modbus Interface Unit
      www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
      www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board
    • Peter Homann
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi Jim,

        G1 and G)0 are modal. So, not including it at the start of the line,
        does not mean that it is not a G1, G0 move. It is treated as if it was
        there. It's just not visible.

        As far as I understand, all the moves are pre processed with the
        look-ahead. Couldn't really do it any other way.

        The best thing to do is download the Mach software and give it a whirl.
        The unregistered version is fully functional except that it will only
        process the first 1000 or so lines of a GCode file.

        Should be enough for a comparison.

        Cheers,

        Peter.

      • juan gelt
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
          did somebody already suggest turboCNC?
          http://www.dakeng.com/turbo.html
          they also have a yahoo group and the developers are
          alive and responsive.

          === message truncated ===

          __________________________________
          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Rich Crook
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
            This is an excerpt of a message from Art Fenerty (Mach's creator) in
            the [mach1mach2cnc] Yahoo group:
            It is in response to the "how much computer do I need?" question.

            =========

            > (1) Microprocessor. P1, P2, P3, P4?

            P2, 3 or 4.

            > (2) What speed?

            750 (minimum ), 1Ghz, pretty good, 2Ghz, plenty of power..

            > (3) What about Memory? 256, 512, 1 Gig?

            256 min, 512 Very good, 1G overkill, but nice to have..

            > (4) I also remember something being said that you should stay away from
            > with Motherboards. Was it Onboard Video?

            Yes, if possible stay away form on-board video, it will often work, but
            sometimes not, then you have to add a video card.

            > (5) I see that the majority of computers being sold today have Onboard
            > Video. What are we to do if this is all that is available? Are there
            > certain Motherboards that are OK?

            Most onboard video seems to work well today, but I don't find most have it,
            in fact I find less than 10% have on-board video. I like Epox boards myself,
            but I also use Asus.

            > (6) What are the bare minimum specs for Mach?

            Different for different people, the less power you have, the more
            frustrated you will be. Some have higher tolerance to this effect.

            > I would guess that Art would be the best person to answer these questions
            > but please feel free to give me your experiences.

            I've used (and developed ) Mach on at least 12 computers over the past 3
            years, none of which acted up in any way except for a dual processor Dell,
            which I had to patch to get working..

            Regards,
            Art
            ====< end of excerpt >====

            = Rich =

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
              Thanks - the downside is the only machine I currently have that can run
              it is my new desktop...
              I guess I'll have to hit Fry's next time I'm up in the city...
              I wish there were some middle ground between TCNC and Mach2/3

              felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
              homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
            • Rich Crook
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                Check out Tigerdirect.com - you can build a very capable system from
                components for $500-600, not including the display.
                Of course one has to be comfortable with custom-assembling a computer
                to do this... (and no tech support to fall back on.)

                = Rich =

                At 02:27 PM 12/2/2005, you wrote:
                >Thanks - the downside is the only machine I currently have that can run
                >it is my new desktop...
                >I guess I'll have to hit Fry's next time I'm up in the city...
                >I wish there were some middle ground between TCNC and Mach2/3
                >

                >Rich Crook wrote:
                > > This is an excerpt of a message from Art Fenerty (Mach's creator) in
                > > the [mach1mach2cnc] Yahoo group:
                > > It is in response to the "how much computer do I need?" question.
                > >
                > > =========
                > >
                > > > (1) Microprocessor. P1, P2, P3, P4?>
                > > P2, 3 or 4.
                > >
                > > > (2) What speed?>
                > > 750 (minimum ), 1Ghz, pretty good, 2Ghz, plenty of power..
                > >
                > > > (3) What about Memory? 256, 512, 1 Gig?>
                > > 256 min, 512 Very good, 1G overkill, but nice to have..
                > >
                > > > (4) I also remember something being said that you should stay away from
                > > > with Motherboards. Was it Onboard Video?>
                > > Yes, if possible stay away form on-board video, it will often work, but
                > > sometimes not, then you have to add a video card.
                > >
                > > > (5) I see that the majority of computers being sold today have Onboard
                > > > Video. What are we to do if this is all that is available? Are there
                > > > certain Motherboards that are OK?>
                > > Most onboard video seems to work well today, but I don't find
                > most have it,
                > > in fact I find less than 10% have on-board video. I like Epox
                > boards myself,
                > > but I also use Asus.
                > >
                > > > (6) What are the bare minimum specs for Mach?>
                > > Different for different people, the less power you have, the more
                > > frustrated you will be. Some have higher tolerance to this effect.
                > >
                > > > I would guess that Art would be the best person to answer
                > these questions
                > > > but please feel free to give me your experiences.>
                > > I've used (and developed ) Mach on at least 12 computers over the past 3
                > > years, none of which acted up in any way except for a dual processor Dell,
                > > which I had to patch to get working..
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Art
                > > ====< end of excerpt >====
                > >
                > > = Rich =

              • Tim Goldstein
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
                  >> Like I mentioned previously: I alredy have rhino3, deskproto full
                  version and trying to make a decision on g-code software... I need
                  something that would work flawlessly with the software I already
                  have.

                  Alex<<

                  I would highly recommend FeatureCAM. Best investment in software I have ever
                  made. About $4.5K for 2-1/2D and $9K for the 3D version.

                  Tim
                  A2Z CNC
                  1530 W Tufts Ave Unit B
                  Englewood CO 80110

                  tim@...
                  www.A2ZCNC.com

                  USA made accessories for desktop mills & lathes.
                  Specialized tools for the jewelry industry.
                • cncinterest
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 7, 2005
                    Tim,

                    This guy is looking for G code interpreter not toolpath generation
                    software (or so he says). Besides, yearly maintenance for FeatureCAM
                    will exceed outright purchase of what most people on this forum will
                    spend for either of these types of software.

                    Alex,

                    Have you made a decision yet? What G code interpreter have you been
                    using to date? MPS2003?

                    Jim (cncinterest)