Re: Xylotex?

  • James Holbrook
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      Now that you mention it I don't think I've ever heard of a gamepad
      being used.
      It just seemed to me like a natural extension of the joystick function
      of Mach2, joystick can move the table so why not program the buttons
      with the functions I need most?
      Most higher quality joysticks & gamepads come with a little program
      that allows you to assign keyboard keys to buttons on the control.
      I picked the functions that were most useful to me and programed them in.
      Really makes it nice for using the edgefinder, doing tool changes,
      making tiny cuts, plus you have the E-Stop button in your hand at all
      times. That alone has saved me many wasted jobs when I realized that
      the tool wasn't going the way it was supposed to.

      http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/p8dualanpad.html

      Is an excellent gamepad that has easy to use software, plenty of
      buttons (6) and two finger triggers that are perfect for the rotary
      table. Push left to turn left, push right to turn right. The price is
      right at $15.00 plus shipping.
      It has two little "joysticks", the one on the left works just like a
      big joystick in that if you just barely move it the axis it's
      controlling moves slow. The more you move it away from center the
      faster the axis moves. It can drive both axees (sp?) at the same time.

      This all applies to Mach2 or 3. I have no experience with any other of
      the driver software packages but as long as they can take keyboard
      inputs it will work.

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "wnnelson0" <wnnelson@s...> wrote:

      > I've done plenty of manual machining but for some of the stuff I'm
      > starting to dream up CNC seems to be the way to go. I don't have
      > room for a full size mill and the Taig is the right size for my
      > parts anyway. Your game pad seems very interesting. Is this standard
      > CNCing or did you come up with this great idea yourself.
      >

      > - In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "James Holbrook" <jdholbrook33@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It's more of a gamepad than joystick with functions assigned to the
      > > buttons and the 4-way pad.
      > > The 4-way pad is programed for X, Y with two buttons for Z and two
      > > triggers programmed for A (Rotary table) Feedrate speed adjust is
      > on
      > > two buttons beside E-Stop and Enter (great for starting jobs while
      > at
      > > the Mill instead of at the PC) I got the gamepad at Wal-Mart for
      > $28.
      > > Make sure it comes with the programming software as some of the
      > > cheaper one's don't.
      > > With the adjustable feed rate I can go from a crawl that you can't
      > see
      > > moving up to full speed. Great for setting tool height during tool
      > > changes.
      > >
      > > I use Mach 3, just watch the DRO's and you can make some very
      > accurate
      > > cuts.
      > >
      > > Don't let the term CNC intimidate you. It's very simple to make
      > cuts
      > > and drill holes. It gets more complicated when you're trying to do
      > > contours and complex cuts but that can come later. Start simple, do
      > > dry cuts and you will be CNC'n in no time.

    • combelis
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "wnnelson0" <wnnelson@s...> wrote:

        > Thanks James that is exactly what I was hoping to hear as the units
        > do sound good. Having never done CNC how do you cut using the joy
        > stick on the computer? I had no idea that was possible.
        >
        > -- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "James Holbrook"
        > <jdholbrook33@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I built my Taig CNC using the Xyoltex board and 3 of the 269oz/in
        > > double shaft steppers. Built my own enclosure out of an old PC
        > case.
        > > It has worked flawlessly since day one.
        > > I was hoping for a little faster rapid than 45ipm but that sounds
        > > about normal from what I've read.
        > > The board was easy to hook up and worked from the start.
        > > One of the steppers had a weird knock in it and a funky
        resistance
        > but
        > > it went away after a few turns of the handle and has not been a
        > > problem since.
        > >
        > > I have the regular hand wheels that came with the mill but have
        > put on
        > > some round knobs from radio shack. Funny thing is.. I haven't
        used
        > it
        > > manually since I got it last Feburary.
        > > Use a joystick on my PC to jog the mill and it works great.
        > >
        > > I have made at least a thousand parts with it so far in a
        > > semi-production environment.
        > >
        > > Very satisfied owner of Xylotex equipment.

        Hi James,

        I'm about to receive my Xylotex Kit in a few days.
        Basically I understand what's need to be done, although I'm not sure
        about few things.
        Can you post some pictures of your kit ?
        and mybe some good advises "what not to do"? :)

        Thanks,
        Asi

      • James Holbrook
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
          Hi Asi,
          I am not at home right now so can't take pictures.

          I followed the instructions that came with the board as far as
          connecting everything. Yes they are a little lacking but I've got a
          strong background in electronics.
          I do remember that I left all drives disconnected as shorts or opens
          on one leg will fry the board so leave them completely disconnected
          until you're ready to test them. I then powered up the board and set
          the Vref (I believe that's what it's called) to just below max,
          powered down the board then attached all drives, repowered up the
          board and noticed that all steppers were "locked" (a good sign).
          I powered down the board again and connected my PC running Mach 2,
          powered up the board and went thru setting up the steppers.
          I do all my work in Millimeters and set everything to steps per MM.

          I housed the power supply and board in an old PC case. I have an 80mm
          fan blowing on the Xylotex board heat sinks. I used the cable supplied
          with the board to connect to the parallel port of the PC.

          It's been working like a champ every since

          If you have some specific questions feel free to contact me off list
          at jdholbrook33@...

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "combelis" <asi@a...> wrote:

          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "wnnelson0" <wnnelson@s...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks James that is exactly what I was hoping to hear as the units
          > > do sound good. Having never done CNC how do you cut using the joy
          > > stick on the computer? I had no idea that was possible.
          > >
          > > -- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "James Holbrook"
          > > <jdholbrook33@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I built my Taig CNC using the Xyoltex board and 3 of the 269oz/in
          > > > double shaft steppers. Built my own enclosure out of an old PC
          > > case.
          > > > It has worked flawlessly since day one.
          > > > I was hoping for a little faster rapid than 45ipm but that sounds
          > > > about normal from what I've read.
          > > > The board was easy to hook up and worked from the start.
          > > > One of the steppers had a weird knock in it and a funky
          > resistance
          > > but
          > > > it went away after a few turns of the handle and has not been a
          > > > problem since.
          > > >
          > > > I have the regular hand wheels that came with the mill but have
          > > put on
          > > > some round knobs from radio shack. Funny thing is.. I haven't
          > used
          > > it
          > > > manually since I got it last Feburary.
          > > > Use a joystick on my PC to jog the mill and it works great.
          > > >
          > > > I have made at least a thousand parts with it so far in a
          > > > semi-production environment.
          > > >
          > > > Very satisfied owner of Xylotex equipment.
          >
          > Hi James,
          >
          > I'm about to receive my Xylotex Kit in a few days.
          > Basically I understand what's need to be done, although I'm not sure
          > about few things.
          > Can you post some pictures of your kit ?
          > and mybe some good advises "what not to do"? :)
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Asi

        • combelis
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
            <jdholbrook33@y...> wrote:

            > Hi Asi,
            > I am not at home right now so can't take pictures.
            >
            > I followed the instructions that came with the board as far as
            > connecting everything. Yes they are a little lacking but I've got a
            > strong background in electronics.
            > I do remember that I left all drives disconnected as shorts or opens
            > on one leg will fry the board so leave them completely disconnected
            > until you're ready to test them. I then powered up the board and set
            > the Vref (I believe that's what it's called) to just below max,
            > powered down the board then attached all drives, repowered up the
            > board and noticed that all steppers were "locked" (a good sign).
            > I powered down the board again and connected my PC running Mach 2,
            > powered up the board and went thru setting up the steppers.
            > I do all my work in Millimeters and set everything to steps per MM.
            >
            > I housed the power supply and board in an old PC case. I have an
            80mm
            > fan blowing on the Xylotex board heat sinks. I used the cable
            supplied
            > with the board to connect to the parallel port of the PC.
            >
            > It's been working like a champ every since
            >
            > If you have some specific questions feel free to contact me off list
            > at jdholbrook33@y...

            Thank you James.
            Yeap, it seems that Xylotex datasheet isn't for total newbie as I.
            I will get the kit next week(the mill will arrive two weeks later), so
            I will try to figure out most things .
            thanks for your offer , I will contact you if I run into trouble ,
            which seems that I will :)

            Asi