Re: [taigtools] Re: Tool Posts

  • Larry Richter
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
      From: "Rick Lane" <rick.lane13@...>
      To: <taigtools@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 10:04 PM
      Subject: Re: [taigtools] Re: Tool Posts

      > Do you know where I can find a good picture of this Diamond Toolholder? at
      the Bay-Com site they only have crummy, blurry small pictures of it, would
      hope their product is better than their photography.
      > Rick

      This may be one:

      http://www.bay-com.com/images/DTH7.jpg

      It's at a sales website with several sizes:

      http://www.bay-com.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

      Maybe this is it? Name is right. It swivels vertically.
    • otisnwoo@cavtel.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
        Yes, that's it, and as good a photo as you'll find of the
        tool. Thanks now I don't have to look for a picture of it to
        upload to the group files.

        Curtis

      • Rick Lane
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
          Thanks to all for the reply.
          Rick
          Yes, that's it, and as good a photo as you'll find of the
          tool. Thanks now I don't have to look for a picture of it to
          upload to the group files.

          Curtis

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
            I have shown a different design but a good one in this groups links
            section under Richard's shop, "History of the Freeby diamond tool and
            holders".
            Richard

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Lane" <rick.lane13@c...>

          • Rick Lane
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
              Thanks to all,
              Curtis, Richard I looked at your design and understand better plus I found a good picture, where else in Machinist's Workshop, the Bay-Com ad.
              Rick
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
                Kinda looks like the tool holder could use some cute little worm gear
                adjustment wheels. Too much load for any worms and wheels that would fit,
                really, but cute. You change the angle settings by wrench or Allen wrench,
                as it comes from the manufacturer?
              • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 3, 2005
                  I'm reading this thread eagerly, but for another reason than just my Taig.
                  If I could throw my questions in, I'd love to see what the answers are:

                  I do machining at work as well as at home. There are two shops at work,
                  one at headquarters and the other at our remote facility at 14,000'. I do
                  work at both. Because I can't justify buying two sets of tools, I've got
                  a big Kennedy toolbox I drag between the two locations. (And "drag" is
                  the right term to use here... part of the road between the two facilities
                  is rutted out dirt.) Right now the thing weighs in the neighborhood of a
                  hundred pounds, and except for actually packing lathes and mills in the
                  thing it's as complete a machine shop as I can manage.

                  Needless to say space and weight are a big concern. Having one tool means
                  I can't have another one. Right now I've got one drawer absolutely
                  crammed with end mills (in their protective sleeves, mind you) and lathe
                  tools.

                  If I can save a little time and a little weight by swapping over to a
                  diamond tool holder, I'm more than interested. That would either spare me
                  some weight or it'd let me start carrying another size of endmill.

                  If you were in similar circumstances, would you continue to carry a full
                  range of HSS lathe tools, or would you pare the tool set down a little and
                  carry a diamond tool holder, tool bit, and grinding fixture?

                  Thanks,

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Tom,
                    Buy an electric wheelchair and mount the toolbox on that. Then add a
                    remote control - voila! Toolbox-bot
                    Or maybe it needs catepillar treads instead...

                    felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
                    homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
                  • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 3, 2005
                      It'd need caterpillar treads. But that sounds like a good idea!

                      Actually, the toolboxes I'm most enamored of are the ones built by Adam
                      Savage for his own use:

                      http://www.adamsavage.com/images/pix/toolboxes.jpg
                      http://www.adamsavage.com/images/pix/toolbox.jpg

                      They're his third generation boxes, custom made by Adam. One of my
                      favorite features is the scissor lift on the bottom of each box.
                      Regardless of whether you're standing or sitting, the box can be at the
                      perfect working height.

                      Too bad there are no caterpillar treads... Though I'm sure that could be
                      arranged!

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 3, 2005
                        I like the scissor lift! Now just gimbal the toolboxes and add the tank
                        treads.
                        Extra points for a voice operated robotic arm that will pick and hand
                        you each tool by name...

                        I can dream, can't I?

                      • whirlingdervish1950
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 5, 2005
                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice
                          Luftschein <felice@c...> wrote:
                          > I like the scissor lift! Now just gimbal the toolboxes and add the
                          tank treads.

                          > Extra points for a voice operated robotic arm that will pick and
                          hand you each tool by name...

                          > I can dream, can't I?

                          Nick, you ARE dreaming!!!! You are talking YOUR shop there, not the
                          dream shop!!!!

                          I have been in your shop, and there would be NO room for the `bot!!!

                          Of course a gigantic CNC controled overhead mini crane, say covering
                          your whole cealing would allow that robotic arm to hand you some tool
                          from the Other Side of the Shop.... which is where I always leave what
                          I need the most!!!

                          Phil in Eugene....
                        • Larry Richter
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 5, 2005
                            > Of course a gigantic CNC controled overhead mini crane, say covering
                            > your whole cealing would allow that robotic arm to hand you some tool
                            > from the Other Side of the Shop.... which is where I always leave what
                            > I need the most!!!
                            >
                            > Phil in Eugene....

                            Always worried about having to go to the "Other Side of the Shop" anymore.
                            Best to be hopeful and careful...
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 6, 2005
                              Don't remind me how little space I have...trying to shoehorn a second
                              Taig CNC mill into my shop is killing me right now. I think I have to
                              move the Benchmaster mill and the 6" Atlas into storage for now.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 6, 2005
                                Um... Nick? I'd be happy if you stored both of those at my house.

                                (Hey, if we're dreaming about toolboxes, I can dream about other things,
                                too, right?)

                                The CNC crane interests me, though. A while back when I was looking at
                                building a hexapod, I ran across a bunch of NIST references to hexapod
                                cranes. Those have lots of appeal. You can position something in space,
                                and orient it the way you want.

                                I don't think I'd want one in my shop, but I'd looove to install one in my
                                living room. I've got high ceilings and exposed roof beams, so there's
                                lots of room to attach one and lots of room for it to operate in. Can you
                                imagine how much fun the kids would have with that thing? Paper
                                airplanes, parachutes, and Legos would never be the same...

                                Tom

                                P.S. And you thought the crane was for ME?!