Re: Disco ball

  • Joules
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Ken Jenkins <kjenkins@n...> wrote:
      > Neat idea! I can't tell you the number of times I've said to myself,
      "Dang I
      > wish someone would come up with a "portable" disco ball!!!! :-).

      Hell YES, and hook it upto a sound to light unit so the thing goes
      crazy the momment you get chatter, think of the boon to deaf turners....

      A BIG LOL

      Joules
    • squeekymushroom
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Ken Jenkins <kjenkins@n...> wrote:
        > Neat idea! I can't tell you the number of times I've said to myself, "Dang I
        > wish someone would come up with a "portable" disco ball!!!! :-). Which parts
        > did you make? I assume the lights have some sort of slide type arrangement
        > for different color gels right? What are the flexible octopus arms? Are they
        > normally for mics or are they part of the lights?

        All of the aluminum parts, I used this project as an exercise to teach a friend about
        machining. Afterwards I was totally amazed at all the knowledge I've accumulated over the
        last year since I purchased my mill.

        The precision of my tools is still higher than the precision of my skills, but over all this
        project went quickly (4 evenings) from conception to completion, even with the overhead
        of teaching.

        The original concept is not mine, but given past projects two friends of mine (Nurz & Mr.
        McCabe) who have designed and implemented several portable (including miniature) disco
        balls for backpacking trips came to me to see if we could design one which was "bright as
        hell." And heck, if your gonna make a high powered portable disco ball, why not make it
        look cool too?

        The lights are not gelled, they're 1 Watt Luxeon Star-O LEDs. They draw 300mA of current
        (a normal LED uses, by contrast 20mA) and need to be heat-sinked while running. Each
        LED outputs between 30-90 lumens with a 10 degree beam spread. It hurts to look at.
        This particular disco ball, which is the largest in the series, draws almost 1 Amp from a 12
        volt source.

        The arms are 0.25" armature wire for clay modeling covered in heat shrink. They are held
        into an aluminum motor mount on the top via tap screws. I used 1x0.5" bar stock for each
        of the heat sinks., which also have a hole and set screw. The armature wire makes for easy
        positioning, but over time I think it will deform too much at the set screws as it is very
        soft.

        The exterior is 3"x3" @ .125" walled extruded 6061 tube. The 2.75x.675" motor mount
        and head stock sits just inside the enclosure.