Hello

  • Paul Huffman
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2005
      Hello to all. New to group. Considering the purchase of the Taig cnc
      set up. Will mostly be cutting paterns in aluminum, about .1 deep with
      an 1/8" endmill. Is this a sturdy enough machine for this? I assume it
      would have to be done in several passes.
      Paul in OKC
    • juan gelt
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2005
        from taigtools.com:
        STEEL CUTTING capability with tests showing a single
        pass 1/8" depth slot cut in mild steel with a 1/8" end
        mill -Try This on other desktop mills!
        i just got one but have to rearrange the house to set
        it up - the thing is a monster - frikn gorgeous!
        can i repeat myself - it's a Gorgeous Monster!
        (makes my sherline look like a frail overpainted ho
        bag, actually - everything on the taig is at least 2X
        beefier)
        i could go on and on...
        imo, taig is far and away best in class for the $$

        --- Paul Huffman <phdesigns1@...> wrote:

        > Hello to all. New to group. Considering the purchase
        > of the Taig cnc
        > set up. Will mostly be cutting paterns in aluminum,
        > about .1 deep with
        > an 1/8" endmill. Is this a sturdy enough machine for
        > this? I assume it
        > would have to be done in several passes.
        > Paul in OKC

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Lynn Livingston
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2005
          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Huffman" <phdesigns1@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hello to all. New to group. Considering the purchase of the Taig cnc
          > set up. Will mostly be cutting paterns in aluminum, about .1 deep
          with
          > an 1/8" endmill. Is this a sturdy enough machine for this? I assume
          it
          > would have to be done in several passes.
          > Paul in OKC

          Hi Paul,

          Are you the same Paul Huffman on the penturner's ng? If so, hello, and
          welcome to the Taig users group. If not, hello and welcome to the Taig
          users group! How's the new family addition doing? :-)
          I just finshed milling a motor mount plate that was 5/16" thick, with
          pockets and contours and was taking .040" at a whack with a 1/8" HSS 4
          flute end cutting mill at 4ipm. Probably could have sped it up a
          little, but I'm not real experienced so I err on the side of
          conservatism. So, in 3 passes you'd be there.
          I've cut mild steel at .020 with a carbide mill for roughing without
          stressing the mill. I've cut 303 stainless with carbide at .010 just
          fine, altough the noise was scarry a little.
          In MDF, I have played with .100 passes at 10K spindle speed with
          router bits around 4ipm, and it will do it, but I don't know yet
          whether I was pushing too hard. It worked without moving the work or
          killing the bit, but it also sounded like a jet plane in take-off mode.
          Anywho, the Taig is probably (almost certainly) the beefiest benchtop
          mill in it's class.
          If you could find someone in your area that has one, a personal look-
          over would help you in your decision. Maybe someone reading this in
          your range will offer to show you around the mill.
          But the kind of cutting you sited is certainly well within the
          envelope of the Taig.
          Good luck and be sure and ask all the questions you want.
          Unfortunately, we don't have a general info section here like the
          penturners ng, but the folks who contribute here are a virtual
          treasure troves of experience and advise. By all means though, do look
          through the files, photos and links available here, and on the
          Taigfiles ng (an overflow sister to this one).
          Also, check out " http://www.cartertools.com/ " for more pics, info,
          examples, etc. than you can possibly obsorb in a month.
          Nick Carter is the host, this list's owner and a Taig dealer. There
          are also other dealers that post often here and can be found in the
          links section.

          Lynn Livingston
        • Paul Huffman
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2005
            I am one and the same! The little one is now 10 mos. and growing like
            a weed. Definitely a handful with him and his sisters, but fun. I
            think there is a dealer listed somewhere close, if they are still a
            dealer anyway.
            Thanks,
            Paul in OKC
          • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 9, 2005
              On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Paul Huffman wrote:

              > Hello to all. New to group. Considering the purchase of the Taig cnc set
              > up. Will mostly be cutting paterns in aluminum, about .1 deep with an
              > 1/8" endmill. Is this a sturdy enough machine for this? I assume it
              > would have to be done in several passes.

              Sorry I'm replying to this so late. This has probably already been
              covered, but I figured I'd share anyway:

              Yes, it's more than sturdy enough. You could do it in one pass with a
              1/4HP motor on the spindle (which should be an option these days), but
              you'll still hav eto deal with tool flex. It'd be a nicer job if done in
              multiple passes, but you can up your feed rates to match.

              Not sure how new you are to machining, but I figure I'll throw this out,
              too: When testing, be sure to use coolant. Finish is always better in
              aluminum with a decent coolant, and you won't have a tendency to weld bits
              of aluminum into the cutter's flutes.

              Tom
            • Paul Huffman
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2005
                Thanks. I am not new to machining, am a machinist by trade. Just
                curious about the smaller machines for some hobby work I do. May end
                up being more plastic and wood than aluminunm anyway.
                Paul in OKC

              • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 10, 2005
                  On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Paul Huffman wrote:

                  > Thanks. I am not new to machining, am a machinist by trade. Just curious
                  > about the smaller machines for some hobby work I do. May end up being
                  > more plastic and wood than aluminunm anyway.

                  Good deal. Then no need to preach about coolant.

                  There are some striking differences between the smaller benchtop machines
                  and full sized knee mills. You can put largeish motors on the spindles,
                  even if they're not available at the time of purchase, so horsepower isn't
                  as big a problem as it might be. Getting one to drive a 2" end mill
                  through a part would be a trick, but you can definitely push a Taig more
                  than I thought when I got mine.

                  There are even some advantages to a small benchtop machine. The big mills
                  where I work can't get even close to the spindle speeds I can get on my
                  Taig. True, you can get high speed spindles for larger mills, but you
                  don't typically find one on the machine all the time. (If it came to it
                  and I needed a high speed spindle at work, I'd probably take my Taig
                  spindle off and bring it in with me.)

                  The place where I've run into their limitations the most is stiffness.
                  At one point I did some tests to see just how hard I could push my mill.
                  This was after putting a larger spindle motor on, so I was curious just
                  what I could do. I found out I could drive a 1/8" mill 1/8" deep without
                  bogging, even at a pretty respectable feed rate. The problem was tool
                  flex. The slot wasn't to size or on center. Slowing down the feed rate
                  or shallowing up the cut answered just fine. With larger end mills the
                  end mill itself didn't flex as much, but there was enough flex in the
                  machine itself to still limit how deep and how fast I could push it. (The
                  newer column design addresses most of the points where mine is flexing, so
                  I doubt the newer mills would be as flexy as mine.)

                  In any case this is no different from larger machines. Every tool has its
                  limits. Work within them and jobs get done. Exceed them on a day-to-day
                  basis and they're frustrating to use. 1/8" diameter cutters, 0.1" depth,
                  and aluminum, plastic, and wood, are all well within the limits of what
                  the Taig can do with room to spare.

                  Tom

                  > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, benedict-list@h... wrote:
                  >> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Paul Huffman wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Hello to all. New to group. Considering the purchase of the Taig
                  > cnc set
                  >>> up. Will mostly be cutting paterns in aluminum, about .1 deep
                  > with an
                  >>> 1/8" endmill. Is this a sturdy enough machine for this? I assume
                  > it
                  >>> would have to be done in several passes.
                  >>
                  >> Sorry I'm replying to this so late. This has probably already
                  > been
                  >> covered, but I figured I'd share anyway:
                  >>
                  >> Yes, it's more than sturdy enough. You could do it in one pass
                  > with a
                  >> 1/4HP motor on the spindle (which should be an option these days),
                  > but
                  >> you'll still hav eto deal with tool flex. It'd be a nicer job if
                  > done in
                  >> multiple passes, but you can up your feed rates to match.
                  >>
                  >> Not sure how new you are to machining, but I figure I'll throw
                  > this out,
                  >> too: When testing, be sure to use coolant. Finish is always
                  > better in
                  >> aluminum with a decent coolant, and you won't have a tendency to
                  > weld bits
                  >> of aluminum into the cutter's flutes.
                  >>
                  >> Tom

                • Steve Wan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
                    Hi Richard Burton!

                    Are you on the wrong track?
                    We're into machines not fast $$$

                    Steve W.

                    On 9/27/12, John Burton <jab3739@...> wrote:

                    > wow this is amazing look into this
                    > http://www.business7newsca.net/work/?money=45336

                  • Lester Caine
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
                      Steve Wan wrote:
                      > Are you on the wrong track?
                      > We're into machines not fast $$$

                      No need to increase the problem by repeating the crap ...
                      One of the hazards of top posting is not triming the unnecessary stuff :(

                      --
                      Lester Caine - G8HFL
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 27, 2012
                        Hi Lester