Re: [taigtools] Popping sound in X axis

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      At 00:30 01/07/2005, rrrevels wrote:
      >I noticed the other night that I have a popping sound when the X axis
      >is moving. It is loud enough to hear while wearing hearing
      >protectors. It appears to be coming from the area of the coupling or
      >bearing. Along with the popping I have recently (last week) noticed
      >that the X axis steps slightly with no input and only when the
      >spindle is running. I was editing my gcode while the spindle was
      >still running and I heard the steps at about 1 sec intervals). I ran
      >a extension cord to the other side of the shop and it seems to not
      >happen or at least I haven't noticed it. The original outlet the
      >spindle was connected to is on a different circuit than the computer
      >and controller (Toshiba 486 laptop and Xylotex 3 axis with 24v
      >unregulated ps). I have been using this set up for over a year and
      >just now started seeing the extra steps.
      >
      >I also noticed that my motor will not start if the belt is in the
      >fastest pulley position.
      >
      >Any one have any ideas or suggestions?

      There was a known issue with the earlier Xylotex boards that they were too
      sensitive to induced noise; I believe that the newer versions of the board
      incorporate a couple of changes (buffered inputs for step & direction, plus
      a "R/C" low pass filter to filter out high frequency noise. The symptoms of
      the problem are basically what you describe - one or more of the axes seems
      to have a life of its own under certain circumstances.

      I suggest you email Xylotex to check whether you have an old or a new
      version board, and what to do about it. There is also a Xylotex group on Yahoo:

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
        At 00:30 01/07/2005, you wrote:
        >I also noticed that my motor will not start if the belt is in the
        >fastest pulley position.

        I had that problem with my mill when it was fitted with what used to be the
        "standard" motor - about 1/8 HP if I recall. Basically, the motor was too
        wimpy. I believe the more recent "standard" motors are more powerful.
        However, my fix was to install a variable speed Sherline spindle motor &
        controller (as have a number of other Taig owners); on the 3rd from slowest
        Taig pulley set this gives me a speed range of zero-to-5000 RPM. I rarely
        change the belt position with that motor. It will happily drive the spindle
        up to 15,000 RPM on the fastest pulley setting - not terribly good for the
        bearings though!

      • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
          Run it for 10 minutes or so in a slower position, then run it in the fastest
          position. Usually the grease needs to warm up a bit.

          felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. Check out our
          homepage www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
          > I also noticed that my motor will not start if the belt is in the
          > fastest pulley position.
        • rrrevels
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
            Thanks Tony and Nick,

            I will try the warm up idea. I have been running the mill for several
            hours at a time in the 2nd position. I have been making a lot of 6"
            trivets and 4" coasters.

            I have been considering the new motor for the taig although I would
            really like to go with the variable speed sherline. I'm not sure about
            fixing the pulleys though. I am by no means a machinist and know just
            enough to get in trouble. I can cut patterns and write code but I
            always start with a blank larger than I need just in case I miss the
            center.

            I have a sherline lathe with steppers on it. I haven't actually cut
            anything with it yet though. I have been too busy with the Taig.

            I think I will take the video camera to the shop tomorrow and see if I
            can get a short video of the steps. I thought it was curious about the
            apparent constant interval between steps.

            Thanks again,
            Russ

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Felice Luftschein and Nicholas
            Carter" <felice@c...> wrote:
            > Run it for 10 minutes or so in a slower position, then run it in the
            fastest
            > position. Usually the grease needs to warm up a bit.
            >
            > felice@c... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. Check out our
            > homepage www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
            > > I also noticed that my motor will not start if the belt is in the
            > > fastest pulley position.
          • Don Rogers
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
              At 09:19 PM 7/1/2005 +0000, you wrote:
              >Along with the popping I have recently (last week) noticed
              >that the X axis steps slightly with no input and only when the
              >spindle is running.

              It's time to scrape some paint off the motor mount and also run a ground
              wire from the motor to the switch box. I have the same problem with Parker
              OEM650 drivers. The motor just doesn't have a good grounding path and the
              drive ends up being a Van De Graph generator.