Re: [taigtools] Re: Fonts

  • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2005
      Nick, is it a TrueType font? As long as you know the codes to get those
      characters, most CAD programs let you use TT fonts for doing text. I've
      done something similar, not for Hangul but for other non-text fonts (think
      TT-rendered logos rather than Wingdings.) It works like a charm in
      IntelliCAD. Pretty sure it'd work in most others. I'm almost certain
      Vector CAD will do this as well, though I haven't done that much text
      engraving and haven't really played with it. Skips the rasterization
      stage and should make for a more streamlined process.

      Tom

    • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2005
        You're giving me a challenge, Nick. Aaaaight, time to see if I remember
        enough Nihongo to write my name and get it into CAD.

        Yeah, the fonts I was using had a different logo at different positions in
        the table corresponding with the Roman characters. So if you used that
        font and typed an "A" you'd get one logo, "B" another, etc. So it's not
        the same thing as what you're faced with.

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2005

              > From: "Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter" <felice@...>
              >
              >It is truetype, but there is some oddness about international fonts with
              >windows.

              Especially before Win2k.

              >If I look at the character map it only shows the english characters
              >and empty boxes, probably because Korean needs to be typset peculiarly
              >(characters combine side by side or above and below) which is why they have
              >their "IME" "Input Method Editors"
              >You can read about them here:
              >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ime/default.mspx

              That's true for entering text, but once you have it entered it any
              program that's savvy about fonts can display it. You don't need the
              languages IME to display it, I routinely view Chinese on my browser and
              word processer even though I don't have a Chinese IME. I did this in Win
              3.1, Win95, 98, ME. Win2k+ understands UNICODE out of the box, less
              problems with it.

              >So only a program, such as Word, which is meant to be used with the IME will
              >work with that font in the language it relates to.

              Anything that understands UNICODE or any of the other 16-bit character
              standards internally should work. Though I will admit most older
              software packages only understand 8 bit ASCII, which means no
              CJK(Chinese, Japanese, Korean) fonts or the like.

              >Programs which do not have the IME function will not work with that font
              >except as a proxy (displaying standard english characters).

              Not true. Download OpenOffice for free on to a machine with no IME, get
              some Asian fonts, cut and paste from an Asian language webpage in
              Mozilla or maybe IE (I don't us IE that often) and set your font to the
              right one in OpenOffice. You will see your characters, no IME needed. I
              don't use the IME for Japanese that often, the interface frankly sucks.
              Instead I use a dedicated wordprocessor that started life as a Windows
              3.1 package and has been maintained and upgraded. It also has a very
              good dictionary function, it's easy to import new dictionaries.

              >From: benedict-list@...
              >
              >Yeah, the fonts I was using had a different logo at different positions in
              >the table corresponding with the Roman characters. So if you used that
              >font and typed an "A" you'd get one logo, "B" another, etc. So it's not
              >the same thing as what you're faced with.

              The English characters should be the same in any modern font???

              Jim Eckman
            • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                > That's true for entering text, but once you have it entered it any
                > program that's savvy about fonts can display it. You don't need the
                > languages IME to display it,
                This is true for Photoshop Elements, but not for Autosketch or
                Bobcad...which are the programs I really need to work with those
                characters...
              • Andrew Werby
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                  <Don@...> wrote:
                  Subject: Re: Fonts

                  Rhino only does Polylines. There is no text or font in the code, just
                  lines. It's a pain when you want to edit the text, you have do delete
                  it and then add in the correction. As each letter is a series of
                  lines, not grouped together, it can be quite time consuming. It is the
                  one thing that I don't like about Rhino.

                  Don

                  [Rhino doesn't only do polylines. Its basic format is splines (Non-Uniform
                  Rational B-Splines, or NURBS for short). I've made my own single-stick fonts
                  in Rhino; it's not hard to do. While these characters won't act exactly like
                  text in a text editor, and you can't just type them in, you can use the
                  Group command to make them selectable as single units. Lines, arcs, and
                  curves can be joined using the Join command, but there are protocols to
                  this; for instance once you've made a closed curve, you can't join anything
                  else to it (but Group will still work). You can select any letter you've
                  grouped, turn on the points (F10) and alter its shape. Once you've created
                  your line of text, you can export it as polylines if you wish, using the
                  Save As DXF function. If you're still unclear on how to do this, contact me
                  off list - soon you'll like everything about Rhino!]

                  Andrew Werby
                  www.computersculpture.com
                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5, 2005
                    > From: "Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter" <felice@...>
                    >

                    >This is true for Photoshop Elements, but not for Autosketch or
                    >Bobcad...which are the programs I really need to work with those
                    >characters...

                    Can you ever see Asian fonts with these programs? I downloaded the
                    manual for version 9 from Amazon for Autosketch and saw no mention of
                    Asian Language support. I couldn't get anything useful of the Bobcad
                    page either. For Autosketch you may need the ?shx file?

                    This programs may use internal 8 bit ASCII for text.

                    > From: "Andrew Werby" <andrew@...>
                    >Subject: Re: Fonts
                    >
                    >[Rhino doesn't only do polylines. Its basic format is splines (Non-Uniform
                    >Rational B-Splines, or NURBS for short). I've made my own single-stick fonts
                    >in Rhino; it's not hard to do. While these characters won't act exactly like
                    >text in a text editor, and you can't just type them in, you can use the
                    >Group command to make them selectable as single units.

                    That's the most important part, entering individual lines ooh nightmare!

                    Jim Eckman
                  • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5, 2005
                      > Can you ever see Asian fonts with these programs? I downloaded the
                      > manual for version 9 from Amazon for Autosketch and saw no mention of
                      > Asian Language support. I couldn't get anything useful of the Bobcad
                      > page either. For Autosketch you may need the ?shx file?
                      >
                      > This programs may use internal 8 bit ASCII for text.
                      Nope, just displays garbage...What is an shx file???
                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2005
                        > From: "Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter" <felice@...>
                        >

                        >>This programs may use internal 8 bit ASCII for text.
                        >>

                        >Nope, just displays garbage...What is an shx file???

                        If I remember correctly, it's an Autocad font file, I'm not sure if
                        Autosketch uses the same scheme. You may want to contact Bobcad direct
                        for info from them.

                        Jim Eckman
                      • Don Rogers
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6, 2005
                          I've come up with a way to get single stick fonts, actually drawings, into
                          Rhino

                          1. Open a blank drawing, chose text, and then chose a simple font, Simplex
                          or Stick 40 work. These are both True Type fonts and as pointed out
                          earlier, they are "Outline" fonts. Type 1. and then put it into the
                          drawing.

                          2 Explode the 1, and then increase the size as big as you can get it.

                          3 Go around and select the segments on one side of the loop or the other
                          until you have selected all but the outline you want. Delete these segments.

                          4. Group the remaining segments.

                          5 resize them to a standard, I selected 5mm.

                          6. Align the font at the reference lines x and y

                          7 Save as 1.3dm

                          Repeat this for the other 9 numbers.

                          I then made another drawing called numbers and inserted each of the numbers
                          into it, all aligned to the reference line.

                          Save this file.

                          On the drawing that you want to add the numbers to, insert the file numbers.3dm

                          You will have to explode the inserted so you can select individual numbers.

                          Select the number you want, and copy and paste it, then move the copy to
                          where you want. Repeat for the rest of the numbers you want.

                          It is really a kludge, but it does give you as set of scaleable numbers.

                          I've got the alphabet both upper and lower case almost finished also..

                          If there is an interest, I'll upload what I have to the files area.