Re: 6mm Collets for mill

  • campgems
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      ---
      > Does anyone know of a source for 6mm collets to fit a Taig mill? >

      and

      > I see there is a blank collet supplied with the mill and I have
      looked
      > at it speculatively but can't think how to bore it accurately
      enough to
      > make my own, or how to put the slits in it.

      Chris, either in the taig files or on Nicks site, there was an
      article a while back that showed how to make holders for slitting the
      collets, also I believe it it gave instructions on making the blank
      collets. I took a quick look through the files area, but didn't find
      it. Take a look through Nick's site. Just plan on spending hours
      there, there is so much info that it's hard to just jump and and not
      get swept up with the information.

      Don
    • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
        Make a sleeve that has a 1/4" OD and a 6mm ID and put a slit along the side
        (helps if it has a flange to keep it from sinking into the collet), insert
        that into the 1/4" collet. It should be pretty accurate.

        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. Check out our
        homepage www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hi,
            I make my own if you want one made e-mail me. Its solid holder with 6mm
            reamed hole and a grub screw in the side,works fine.
            Just one thing while I'm contacting the group I'm using MPS2000 and I see
            theres MPS2003 can anyone tell me what has changed or if it is better and
            where to get it......Alan

            > Does anyone know of a source for 6mm collets to fit a Taig mill? >

            and

            > I see there is a blank collet supplied with the mill and I have
            looked
            > at it speculatively but can't think how to bore it accurately
            enough to
            > make my own, or how to put the slits in it.

            Chris, either in the taig files or on Nicks site, there was an
            article a while back that showed how to make holders for slitting the
            collets, also I believe it it gave instructions on making the blank
            collets. I took a quick look through the files area, but didn't find
            it. Take a look through Nick's site. Just plan on spending hours
            there, there is so much info that it's hard to just jump and and not
            get swept up with the information.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dave Goodfellow
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
              I went from MPS2000 to MPS2003 to get 4th axis capability for the rotary
              table. I don't recall any other advantage. Got it from Microproto.

              Dave Goodfellow
              Edmonds, WA
              www.good-fellow.net
              "No problem too small to baffle this expert"

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
                The difference between the MPS2000 and MPS2003 is that the former is
                driven by stepper Phase signals. This takes 4 printer port pins per
                stepper. You need to use 2 printer ports to drive 4 stepper motors.

                The MPS2003 has a board inside that converts the more standard step/dir
                stepper motor driving signals to the 4 phase signals. Apart from this,
                it is my understanding that the two are otherwise identical.

                I'm not sure if the software for the MPS2003 is functionally different
                from the software for the MPS2000. I don't use either. Initially I used
                TurboCNC http://www.dakeng.com (DOS based) but then moved to Mach2
                http://www.artofcnc.ca as it is windows based.

                I'd recommend to everyone to have a look at these two programs. Their
                functionality is far superior to that of the MPS software.

                When I first got my CNC mill I was so frustrated by the MPS software and
                the phase drive used by the MPS2000 that I designed the TurboTaig board,
                http://www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html. This board does the
                conversion from step/dir to phase, plus has drivers for relay outputs,
                limit switch and EStop inputs.

                I like to fool myself in thinking that I forced Taig into providing
                there own version of my TurboTaig board. :-)

                Also, you can buy Taig's upgrade board separately from them to convert
                the MPS2000 to a MPS2003.

                Cheers,

                Peter.
                Web: www.homanndesigns.com
                email: homann@...
                Phone: +61 421 601 665
                www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
                www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board

                Dave Goodfellow wrote:
                > I went from MPS2000 to MPS2003 to get 4th axis capability for the rotary
                > table. I don't recall any other advantage. Got it from Microproto.
                >
                > Dave Goodfellow
                > Edmonds, WA
                > www.good-fellow.net
                > "No problem too small to baffle this expert"

              • Chris Ghent
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005

                  >Message: 2
                  > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:52:08 -0800
                  > From: "Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter" <felice@...>
                  >Subject: Re: 6mm Collets for mill
                  >
                  >Make a sleeve that has a 1/4" OD and a 6mm ID and put a slit along the side
                  >(helps if it has a flange to keep it from sinking into the collet), insert
                  >that into the 1/4" collet. It should be pretty accurate.

                  Thanks for all the suggestions, I will read up on the collet making
                  advice on Nicks site. I think the sleeve idea is probably beyond my
                  abilities at the moment; the walls would be about 7thou thick. I'll
                  check tomorrow and see if there is a larger collet than 1/4, which would
                  make it easier. I'd like to rise to the challenge but I am scraping
                  about to find enough time to spend in the shed at the moment.

                  Best Wishes

                  Chris