Re: [taigtools] Re: 'tramming', was cutting anomaly

  • Keith Bucklitch
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi Tony.

      Thanks for the addendum. All useful stuff, but a couple more questions.

      At 09:56 28/02/2005 +0000, you wrote:

      >So first, check that your spindle is truly parallel to the axis of the Z
      >ways. Then this technique can tell you whether the column is properly aligned.

      OK, but how do I go about doing that?
      And, if I find any error, how do I correct the alignment of the spindle/z axis?

      Keith
    • Don Rogers
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 5, 2005
        At 05:36 AM 3/5/2005 +0000, you wrote:
        >If the column is badly "out of whack" in the Y direction, then it is either
        >as a result of a manufacturing fault, or subsequent damage, or foreign
        >matter getting trapped between the mating faces at the base of the
        >column/back of the table

        Don't over look something under the Y axis saddle either. See my file in
        the Taig Files group in the files section Taig-Column.PDF. I had paint
        between the base and the saddle and it was jacking up the end of the saddle
        about 0.003". More than enough to ignore.