Re: [taigtools] Exact height over crosslide?

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      At 05:12 01/02/2005, you wrote:

      >Good evening (and perhaps morning),
      >
      >I am working on an acessory that needs to have features at exactly the
      >height of the spindle's center (the axis of rotation), over the
      >crossslide. I'd use the lathe itself to make his, but it's temporarily
      >out of comission, awaiting a new belt (I can't believe I _lost_ it!).
      >And I'd measure, but I'd be off a bit, I expect, as I am also without
      >gage blocks. Is there a really hard and fast, accurate number for this
      >dimension (within, say, 1-2 thou)? I don't see it online anywhere
      >obvious.
      >
      >I guess this is really a question for those who have determined this by
      >trial and error, or those with 'inside knowledge'...

      The quoted "swing over cross slide" figure is 2.875", giving centre height
      over cross slide of 1.4375"; however, the specs don't quote a tolerance.

      If you are wanting to be accurate to within a couple of thou, I would wait
      until you get a new belt and machine it in situ.

    • Kenny Wu
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        It has been a few weeks of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the
        Taig I bought from Derek at DenverCNC last year was stalling on Y and Z axis
        (I left it in the garage for a year before putting it together this past few
        weeks). I taken the whole thing apart and cleaned and lubed it and it still
        did not help at all.... also tried a bunch of suggestions and again...
        nothing helped. Derek was very patient and walked me through every step...
        spent a lot of time on the phone with me and sent me motors to try (without
        charging me first.. hehe... good service!). Long story short... somehow I
        got some bad motors and swapping out the motors FIXED EVERYTHING!! Best
        part is... he swapped them out for free... :-)

        I also upgraded my old controller to the new DenverCNC using Gecko drives...
        the new controller does work better than the old.

        I just thought I need to write this cause last week I felt ,due to my
        posting on "Taig Mill Binding - HELP", Derek was getting bashed a little.
        Before my Taig was fixed... I thought the 115oz steppers Derek sold me was
        seriously under powered... I argued with him to send me larger motors but he
        insisted that the problem is not the power or torque of the stepper. I gave
        in when he said he would fly out to LA to fix my problem if I can't get my
        Taig up and running. Now, with the 115oz stepper motors on X,Y,Z,A axis,
        they all works perfectly as they should. I cut my first piece today... and
        am thankful for the help Derek was able to give me.

        Just a little FYI... Derek's a good guy... great service and stands behind
        what he sold me... even after a year! Now I'm a happy camper! :-)

        Ken

      • Bad Brad
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          When you want the exact height you will need to measure the lathe you want
          the exact height of. chuck a length of stock in the spindle and turn it to a
          known size, say 0.200". Using a height gage or caliper measure from the top
          of the part to the top of the cross slide and subtract 0.100" this should be
          the exact height.

          Bad Brad

          Rabid Weasel Racing Team

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
            I'll second that.

            I also have the newer DENVERCNC gecko system. So far has worked
            great. I have only cut wax, and some aluminum, but the smoothness
            of the Taig/DENVERCNC system amazes me.

            I haven't had any troubles so far, and DENVERCNC has good prices.

            I am also using Rhinoceros (CAD) , Deskcnc, and Mach2. Seems to be
            a pretty good combination.

            Eric
          • Christian A. Weagle
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
              This makes perfect sense, and seems to be a technique with a high
              (quickness x accuracy) product... good idea!

              I didn't know if there was a spec - it seems not. Ah well. Thanks,
              everybody!