Re: Getting the handcranks off

  • dkp_design
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      Just undo the nut and pull them off. There on a keyed shaft.
      There a snug fit. I think I had to lightly tap mine with the handle
      of a screwdriver to remove them.

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "jkeyser14" <jkeyser14@a...> wrote:

      > What's the best way to get the handcranks off without damaging
      > anything? For the life of me I can't figure it out.
    • jkeyser14
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Thanks!
      • Don Rogers
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          At 03:04 AM 2/2/2005 +0000, you wrote:
          >Just undo the nut and pull them off. There on a keyed shaft.
          >There a snug fit. I think I had to lightly tap mine with the handle
          >of a screwdriver to remove them.
          >
          >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "jkeyser14" <jkeyser14@a...> wrote:
          > >
          > > What's the best way to get the handcranks off without damaging
          > > anything? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

          Hold on, wait a minute. If you are working on a mill, the answer above is
          correct. Not on the lathe though.

          For the lathe cross slide, compound slide, and mill attachment, you remove
          the nut, and then somehow lock the leadscrew and unscrew the wheel. I
          picked up some 1/4"-20LH nuts to help doing this. You can take the slide
          off by unscrewing the feed. Then screw on two nuts and tighten them
          together. You can now hold the nut with a wrench and break loose the
          handwheel from the leadscrew. A little heat doesn't hurt as sometimes
          there is and ample amount of Locktite holding the screw threads. The hand
          wheels are screwed on with right hand threads. The lead screw may be right
          or left depending on which one it is.

          Don
        • jkeyser14
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
            It was a mill, and they were on there pretty tight. Coincidentally,
            the spindle wrench is thin enough to fit behind the handcrank and
            long enough to give you good leverage for prying them off.