Re: potential cnc buyer with questions

  • John Stevenson
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 1, 2005
      >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "timgoldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
      >
      > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Alberto Magnani <al@a...> wrote:
      > >> I figure before I get an actual machine, I'll want to try out all
      > the software ahead of time like EMC on linux, Mach2, turbo cnc,
      > etc... I've seen some expensive packages, but those are out of the
      > question, and these seem to do a nice job at low or no cost...)<<
      >
      > Sort of pointless to test controller software without a machine
      > attached. Sure you can see what you like in the user interface, but
      > you will have no clue how it runs a machine. Just to give you an
      > example, I finally took EMC off of my Bridgeport and replaced it
      > with Mach2. I did not expect to have any performance difference. But
      > I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can run much higher
      > acceleration and the moves are smoother. Not that EMC was bad. It
      > made me a lot of money on that machine and that was a big part of
      > why I left it on so long. It was producing cash so I saw no reason
      > to change. Point is without a machine attached you will not see the
      > difference in the actual performance of various programs. I have
      > used DanCAD, DeskCNC DOS, DeskWinCNC (the older version that did not
      > have a special card), CNCPro, TurboCNC, EMC, Mach1, Mach2, DeskCNC
      > with a controller, and I forget what else. Nicest to use and best
      > performance is Mach2. DeskCNC with the controller is smoother in the
      > pulse stream, but I like the Mach2 interface better.
      >

      > >> 3. I know machinists use fly-cutters with special elliptical
      > shapes for gear tooth shapes, but what do you think of just using a
      > small endmill and some good g-code?<<
      >
      > Sure if it will give you the proper tooth shape.
      >

      > Tim
      > [Denver, CO]
      > Taig one - 2019CR mill in stock for immediate shipment at 5% off
      > list.
      >
      > Sherline & Taig products at Discount
      > Mach1 & DeskCNC with credit card ordering
      > www.KTMarketing.com/order

      What a marvelous reply Tim I think you have covered everything in a
      practical way.

      May I comment on Q3?

      It is possible to use an end mill to cut gear teeth but you are very
      limited due to the small space at the root of the tooth and the
      thickness of the gear which will become the depth of the cut.
      To get into the root you will need very small cutter which will then
      limit the depth you can go.

      A far better way is to approach from the side using a flycutter or
      form tool.
      Take note that to use this method to it's full advantage the
      controller needs to be able to either handle macros or sub routines
      for the 4th axis otherwise its a cut and paste job.

      Not all controllers can do this at the moment.

      John S.