Re: [taigtools] Single or Double End?

  • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
      On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, smocksam wrote:

      > I just ordered my taig cnc today. I'm going through enco "grocery"
      > shopping, picking up some new tooling.
      >
      > I came upon a question. From the looks of the collets on teh taig, I'm
      > guessing it won't accept double end mills?
      >
      > I've already got a supply of double end mills laying around, but will
      > have to order more if I can only use single ones.
      >
      > Any ideas?

      Any end mills small enough to fit the collets will work double or single
      ended. With one exception the collets are bored through.

      If you wind up making end mill holders out of blank arbors, double ended
      will still work until you get to 3/8". At that point you either go single
      ended or bore out your spindle to pass a 3/8" mill.

      Tom
    • dhkoizumi
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
        The Taig mill uses propriatary collets (similar to the ones in the
        MaxNC mills). The largest, 5/16, is not a through collet -- so you
        can only use single ended end mills with a 5/16 shank. However, all
        of the smaller collets are through collets where you can use double
        ended end mills.

        The usual common shank size for end mills is 3/8'ths. Carter Tools
        (www.cartertools.com) sells adapters which screw directly onto the
        3/4-16 spindle and allows you to use short single ended 3/8'ths and
        1/2" shank end mills. Nick (Carter Tools) even has flycutters and
        boring bar adapters for the Taig Mill. You have to dig around on his
        web page to find them -- but I've ordered my Taig and a bunch of
        accessories from him and everything arrived promptly. Spillage
        (us.spillage.net) has adapters which will allow the use of larger
        shell mills and indexable facing mills on the Taig. You can see
        these on this web page:

        http://users.adelphia.net/~harries07/Spillage/slab_cutter.htm
      • Carol & Jerry Jankura
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004

          > I've already got a supply of double end mills laying around, but will
          > have to order more if I can only use single ones.
          >
          > Any ideas?

          How about cutting a double ended mill in half and getting two single ended
          cutters?

          -- Jerry
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
            At 03:37 05/10/2004, you wrote:

            >I just ordered my taig cnc today. I'm going through enco "grocery"
            >shopping, picking up some new tooling.
            >
            >I came upon a question. From the looks of the collets on teh taig,
            >I'm guessing it won't accept double end mills?
            >
            >I've already got a supply of double end mills laying around, but will
            >have to order more if I can only use single ones.
            >
            >Any ideas?

            Taig sells double ended mills for use with their 3/16" collet - see:

            http://www.taigtools.com/accessories.html

            parts 1230A through 1230E.

            As others have indicated, all of the Taig collets apart from the 5/16" diam
            have a through hole and can accept double enders.

            If you have bigger double enders than 1/4" shaft diam, you could probably
            machine up a blank arbor (part #1132) to make a special purpose end mill
            holder for them.