RE: [taigtools] How imporant is coolant?

  • Kory Hamzeh
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2004
      > How important is a coolant system on a taig cnc?
      >
      > Should I throw one on my enco order? Or can I survive without one?

      I assume by "coolant" you mean using cutting fluids? If that's not the
      case, please ignore the rest of my e-mail. But if that's the case ....

      Cutting fluids/oils help give you a better finish and increase tool
      life. They will also increase the accuracy of your work because they
      reduce thermal expansion. Certain operation, such are parting or
      grooving, are next to impossible with out some sort of lubrication. I
      always use cutting fluids -- the Trico MicroDrop using their MD7
      synthetic oil. I don't use coolant in the traditional sense of flood
      cooling. The Trico MicroDrop is an expensive unit, but I think it is the
      best for a home shop environment. You can always add a little oil using
      a small brush. That is just as effective.

      The only metal I cut try is brass and cast iron, everything else is cut
      with lube.

      Regards,
      Kory
    • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2004
        On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, smocksam wrote:

        > How important is a coolant system on a taig cnc?
        >
        > Should I throw one on my enco order? Or can I survive without one?

        I went for several years with a squirt bottle full of coolant. It's what
        I use at work, and it works fine on the Taig. I got a mist coolant system
        from Enco, but haven't built an enclosure for my mill yet (got all the
        parts, just not the time). I tried it without the enclosure, and it got
        mighty messy.

        I still use the mist coolant system for blowing water/air mix when I'm
        machining plastics, but for aluminum I'm back to the squirt bottle 'till I
        finish the enclosure.