Patiently waiting for the ER-16 spindle...

  • Michael Gamber
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
      Anybody hear anything? I thought they would have it at the end of
      Aug...

      Nick?
    • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 29, 2004
        Haven't heard a word, generally speaking the time between Taig starting a
        project and finishing it is an indefinitely long time, they never really
        know when it will (or won't) be finished.
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. Check out our
        homepage www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
        > Anybody hear anything? I thought they would have it at the end of
        > Aug...
        >
        > Nick?
      • Eric Parsonage
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 29, 2004
          Would it help to petition them enmasse ? I am another who anxiously awaits
          the new spindle!

          > Haven't heard a word, generally speaking the time between Taig starting a
          > project and finishing it is an indefinitely long time, they never really
          > know when it will (or won't) be finished.
          > felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. Check out our
          > homepage www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        • scitech200
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
            Hi Nick, Michael and Eric:
            > Would it help to petition them enmasse? I am another who anxiously
            > awaits the new spindle!

            It may be that Taig is not real anxious to have us use any collets
            other than their proprietory parts?

            I have been successful using Nick's holder for a short shank 3/8"
            roughing endmill, but it takes up a lot of the Taig mill z-axis
            space!
            Having a chuck/collet that would hold the industry standard end
            mills with 3/8" shank would be great....

            Am I correct that ER16 collets are readily available in the range
            1/32" to 3/8"?

            Regards,
            Keith
          • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
              Exactly the opposite, Taig hates making the collets more than any other part
              they make. It's just a question of time and production demands...

              ER collets are available in that range, and even better, have a 1/32"
              collapse, so you can hold odd sizes.
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
                Anyone know if the ER-16 spindle will have a nice big through bore? I'm
                gearing up to make one of Joe Vickars's tool changers. If there's going
                to be an ER-16 spindle by the time I finish (which, granted, may be a
                while) I'll skip making the spindle adapter stuff and design the power
                drawbar around the new spindle, when it shows up.

                Tom

                On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Eric Parsonage wrote:

                > Keith
                >
                > ER-16 collets are usually in millimeter sizes but each size can hold a 1mm
                > range (they are designed that way) so you will be able to hold from 1mm to
                > 10mm in an ER-16 spindle.
                >
                > Eric

              • Michael Gamber
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
                  Petition sounds good. How many on this board would buy one? Maybe we
                  can forward the list, or get a group buy together to guarantee them
                  sales if they would just build the darned thing! I'll take 2!

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "scitech200" <scitech200@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Nick, Michael and Eric:
                  > > Would it help to petition them enmasse? I am another who
                  anxiously
                  > > awaits the new spindle!
                  > >
                  > It may be that Taig is not real anxious to have us use any
                  collets
                  > other than their proprietory parts?
                  >
                  > I have been successful using Nick's holder for a short shank 3/8"
                  > roughing endmill, but it takes up a lot of the Taig mill z-axis
                  > space!
                  > Having a chuck/collet that would hold the industry standard end
                  > mills with 3/8" shank would be great....
                  >
                  > Am I correct that ER16 collets are readily available in the range
                  > 1/32" to 3/8"?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Keith
                • Eric Parsonage

                    > > Would it help to petition them enmasse? I am another who anxiously
                    > > awaits the new spindle!
                    > >
                    > It may be that Taig is not real anxious to have us use any collets
                    > other than their proprietory parts?
                    >
                    > I have been successful using Nick's holder for a short shank 3/8"
                    > roughing endmill, but it takes up a lot of the Taig mill z-axis
                    > space!
                    > Having a chuck/collet that would hold the industry standard end
                    > mills with 3/8" shank would be great....
                    >
                    > Am I correct that ER16 collets are readily available in the range
                    > 1/32" to 3/8"?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Keith

                  • Steve Blackmore
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
                      On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:46:20 -1000 (HST), you wrote:

                      > Anyone know if the ER-16 spindle will have a nice big through bore? I'm
                      > gearing up to make one of Joe Vickars's tool changers. If there's going
                      > to be an ER-16 spindle by the time I finish (which, granted, may be a
                      > while) I'll skip making the spindle adapter stuff and design the power
                      > drawbar around the new spindle, when it shows up.

                      Hi Tom - I think you'll find it won't be any bigger than about 10.5mm,
                      (approx .4") not much point as largest collet bore is 10mm, and the
                      small tapered end is 11mm diameter <G>.

                      --
                      Steve Blackmore
                    • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
                        10mm isn't bad. I could easily fit the Vickars drawbar down inside that.

                        Tom

                        On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Steve Blackmore wrote:

                        > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:46:20 -1000 (HST), you wrote:
                        >
                        > > Anyone know if the ER-16 spindle will have a nice big through bore? I'm
                        > > gearing up to make one of Joe Vickars's tool changers. If there's going
                        > > to be an ER-16 spindle by the time I finish (which, granted, may be a
                        > > while) I'll skip making the spindle adapter stuff and design the power
                        > > drawbar around the new spindle, when it shows up.
                        >
                        > Hi Tom - I think you'll find it won't be any bigger than about 10.5mm,
                        > (approx .4") not much point as largest collet bore is 10mm, and the
                        > small tapered end is 11mm diameter <G>.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Steve Blackmore

                      • Eric Parsonage
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004

                          That was exactly my plan too

                          Eric

                          > Anyone know if the ER-16 spindle will have a nice big through bore? I'm
                          > gearing up to make one of Joe Vickars's tool changers. If there's going
                          > to be an ER-16 spindle by the time I finish (which, granted, may be a
                          > while) I'll skip making the spindle adapter stuff and design the power
                          > drawbar around the new spindle, when it shows up.
                          >
                          > Tom
                          >
                          > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Eric Parsonage wrote:
                          >

                          > > Keith
                          > >
                          > > ER-16 collets are usually in millimeter sizes but each size can hold a
                          1mm
                          > > range (they are designed that way) so you will be able to hold from 1mm
                          > > 10mm in an ER-16 spindle.
                          > >
                          > > Eric

                        • Eric Parsonage
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
                            It would be cool just to get a draw bar working and some quick tool changes
                            happening !!!

                            > 10mm isn't bad. I could easily fit the Vickars drawbar down inside that.
                            >
                            > Tom
                            >
                            > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Steve Blackmore wrote:
                            >
                            > > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:46:20 -1000 (HST), you wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Anyone know if the ER-16 spindle will have a nice big through bore?
                            I'm
                            > > > gearing up to make one of Joe Vickars's tool changers. If there's
                            going
                            > > > to be an ER-16 spindle by the time I finish (which, granted, may be a
                            > > > while) I'll skip making the spindle adapter stuff and design the power
                            > > > drawbar around the new spindle, when it shows up.
                            > >
                            > > Hi Tom - I think you'll find it won't be any bigger than about 10.5mm,
                            > > (approx .4") not much point as largest collet bore is 10mm, and the
                            > > small tapered end is 11mm diameter <G>.
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > Steve Blackmore

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • scitech200
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                              Hi Tom:
                              You wrote:
                              > ... I could easily fit the Vickars drawbar down inside that.

                              Could you let us know where to find information on this drawbar
                              design?
                              It's not obvious as to how you adapt a clamping nut type chuck,
                              such as the ER-16, to a drawbar - or is it?

                              Thanks once again,
                              Keith
                            • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                                On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, scitech200 wrote:

                                > Hi Tom:
                                > You wrote:
                                > > ... I could easily fit the Vickars drawbar down inside that.
                                >
                                > Could you let us know where to find information on this drawbar
                                > design?

                                Sure thing. There's a Yahoo group:

                                And there's Joe's site:

                                http://www.homeshopaccessories.com

                                > It's not obvious as to how you adapt a clamping nut type chuck, such as
                                > the ER-16, to a drawbar - or is it?

                                Nope, it's not. Joe designed toolholders that have the same taper as an
                                ER-16 collet, but have a grab button at the top so a power drawbar can
                                grab a toolholder and pull it up into the spindle.

                                Joe sells plans for the drawbar and toolchanger. I've bought the plans
                                and even though I haven't built it yet, I do have to say Joe puts together
                                a good package. The Yahoo list provides good support for people building
                                the thing, and Joe has been pretty active in finding new ways to do stuff.
                                He's replaced his original drawbar design with one that's a lot easier to
                                build, and sent the new plans out to everyone who had bought the plans for
                                the original design. Good stuff.