Re: [taigtools] rust?

  • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
      On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Steve Blackmore wrote:

      > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:28:01 +1000, you wrote:
      >
      > > I've heard from an aircraft instrument technician that WD-40 and other water
      > > displacement sprays leave a corrosive residue.
      >
      > UK made WD40 just leaves a mineral oil after the carrier (Naptha) has
      > evaporated and contains no silicon.
      >
      > It is NOT the same composition as the USA stuff (which is crap according
      > to reports;)

      *sigh* I'm jealous. Again. Rats.

      Tom
    • Carol & Jerry Jankura
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hi, Steve & Others:

        > It is NOT the same composition as the USA stuff (which is crap according
        > to reports;)

        The US made WD-40 is not crap, it's just not a rust preventative. It works
        quite well as a penetrating medium and as a lube for cutting aluminum.

        The Boeshield product is T9, not T7. And, it works quite well as a rust
        preventative just like Tom B. and others have stated.

        -- Jerry
      • John Bentley
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
          I am just using gun oil, Starrett Tool & Instrument Oil or 3-in-1
          Electric Motor Oil, whichever is nearest. The gun oil is inexpensive
          and I think it may be a winner. I have been using it on the vertical
          slides of the mill and it doesn't seem to run down much from gravity,
          leaving the surfaces well coated.

          Summer humidities here in the mid 90's are common and the sea water is
          two blocks down the street from our house. I don't seem to have any
          rust problems with humidities below 85%. If there is going to be any
          rust, the bodies of the Taig 3 & 4-jaw chucks seem to be the first
          places it will appear.

          I keep a dehumidifier going 27/7 all summer which keeps my basement
          workshop down to a nice and dry 70%-75%. At $15/month for power, I
          think it's cheap insurance.

          As far as international WD-40 goes, I wonder what we have in Canada?
          perhaps a little bit of U.S., a little bit of U.K., a pinch of
          salt........

          John
        • stevenson_engineers
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
            WD40 ??

            I make my own up.
            3 parts paraffin [ kerosine ] to the US
            and 1 part ATF [ Automatic transmission fluid ]
            Works for freeing off, lubrication and the rest.
            I don't use it on electrical circuits only mechanical parts.
            Makes a good cutting fluid for Aluminium without washing the lube off
            the machine.

            John S.
          • Lam
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
              Hi

              I am living in Singapore ( island surrounded by lots of sea water )
              I am only using Dow Corning Moly Grease
              It is not those real super thick grease, but kind of thin for a grease type ....
              yet not 100% liquid like a old that will flow.

              Anyway, i am using it on the Sherline ways ( the rest of the sherline is Aluminium, so no rust there )
              and it works for me, no need to clean up before use to, no need for way oil too ....
              Just smear a bit on your finger and rub the ways down with it.

              the grease is recommended for use on boat trailers bearings etc
              ( those trailers that get dipped into the sea to float a boat ... )
              so i guess it rust preventive is quite good.

              Don't know if there is a disadvantage that will manifest later
              but it works for now ...

              Lam