Sherline Motor & Speed Control on Taig Late

  • Gordon Reithmeier
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 8:13 AM
      The Sherline DC Motor and Speed Control has plenty of power for a
      Taig Lathe. I installed the Sherline Motor and Speed Control on my
      Emco Compact 5 Lathe a few years ago and it works very well.

      I purchased a Taig Lathe recently, as an engineering exercise only,
      as I have a fully equipped Compact 5 Lathe and stand alone Milling
      Machine. I will be making many modifications to the Taig and will be
      using a surplus 90 volt DC Motor, similar to the Sherline, and the
      Sherline Speed Controller. The motor stand was purchased in Canada
      from Lee Valley Tools, provides a base for a round, end mounted
      motor, with the mount assembled from commercially available
      components. I am not happy with the improvised mount and will
      probably make one from scratch in the near future. Also, I made new
      single sheave pulleys for the motor and lathe as the multi sheave
      pulley set provided by Taig is not required. In addition, I needed
      the extra length of spindle shaft to instal a gear for the power
      feed/threading attachment I am designing.

      A full report with photos will be filed when the project is
      completed, in about a year.

      Gordon Reithmeier