Re: [taigtools] Re: Crankshaft

  • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, n2562001 wrote:

      > It would be difficult at best to convert a lathe to a crankshaft
      > grinder. My cam grinder was designed to grind cams only. However after
      > much thought I have designed an attachment that will allow crankshaft
      > grinding. The attachment has not been completed or tested yet but should
      > not be a problem.

      Sounds like something to look forward to! I'm still puzzling over the
      pictures of your cam grinder. I'd love to see it in person.

      > By the way, how come I never seen you at the Estevan Model Engineering
      > Show last fall??

      I made the mistake of getting a job in Hawaii. The job's great, the
      location can't be beat, but I don't really make enough to travel that
      much. I'm still looking at that ever-elusive "I'll get to go some day"
      scheduling for the model engineering shows.

      Tom

      > > You can do that kind of work on a Taig or Sherline.
      > >
      > > As far as cutting crankshafts, Kozo Hiraoka had a really nice two-
      > page
      > > explanation of how to do this in his book, "Building the Shay".
      > I'm
      > > guessing it's similar to how other people make them for IC engines.
      > >
      > > As far as grinding goes, Jerry Kieffer made a really neat camshaft
      > > grinding tool out of Sherline parts. I don't know for certain,
      > but I'm
      > > guessing you could adapt the idea to crankshafts.
      > >
      > > Using Hiraoka's description and a toolpost grinder, my guess is
      > you could
      > > do it on a stock lathe.
      > >
      > > Tom
      > >
      > > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, rchelicopter1967 wrote:
      > >
      > > > Does anyone know what kind a lathe is needed for grinding
      > > > crankshafts?

      > > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: taigtools-
      > unsubscribe@e...
      > > >

      > > > Let the chips fly!
      > > >
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Scott A. Stephens
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
        I'm going by memory on this one. But I belive in "Table top
        Machining" it shows a guy making a crankshaft on a Sherline mill. Though
        if my memory is right he was cutting it with a end mill and not grinding
        it. But grinding could be a latter step.

        I think you need to define how big a crankshaft you want.

        At 12:05 PM 4/2/2004, you wrote:
        >Does anyone know what kind a lathe is needed for grinding
        >crankshafts?

        >Let the chips fly!
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • n2562001
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
          It would be difficult at best to convert a lathe to a crankshaft
          grinder. My cam grinder was designed to grind cams only. However
          after much thought I have designed an attachment that will allow
          crankshaft grinding. The attachment has not been completed or tested
          yet but should not be a problem. By the way, how come I never seen
          you at the Estevan Model Engineering Show last fall??

          Jerry Kieffer

          > You can do that kind of work on a Taig or Sherline.
          >
          > As far as cutting crankshafts, Kozo Hiraoka had a really nice two-
          page
          > explanation of how to do this in his book, "Building the Shay".
          I'm
          > guessing it's similar to how other people make them for IC engines.
          >
          > As far as grinding goes, Jerry Kieffer made a really neat camshaft
          > grinding tool out of Sherline parts. I don't know for certain,
          but I'm
          > guessing you could adapt the idea to crankshafts.
          >
          > Using Hiraoka's description and a toolpost grinder, my guess is
          you could
          > do it on a stock lathe.
          >
          > Tom
          >
          > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, rchelicopter1967 wrote:
          >
          > > Does anyone know what kind a lathe is needed for grinding
          > > crankshafts?

          > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: taigtools-
          unsubscribe@e...

          > > Let the chips fly!
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ronald_41
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2004
            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Heller" <leon_heller@h...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            publications available from Lindsay Book's. I became of aware of a
            book on lathe work and what is possible with said lathe. There is a
            book called Practical Metal Turning by Joesph Horner, and in it there
            is a treatise on how to turn a multiple-throw crankshaft.
            I hope that this is of use to you or anyone else contemplating such
            an adventure.